Gastric bypass help!

Options
I need help! Had two birthdays this week... Father-in-law turned 70! I picked up 1.5kg. Now need to loose 7kg by 18 July 2013 BEFORE my gastric bypass surgery! Is this possible????
If I don't loose it they will not operate.
PLEASE help... I am desperate!
:-(

Replies

• IrishSandy
    IrishSandy Posts: 10
    Options
    Possible if you have water weight to lose, meaning you haven't lost much lately. My question is are you sure you want surgery? I was on a path to surgery and met 7 post-op patients during my research. Only one recommended surgery and she had recently had the procedure. The others told me about their health issues resulting from the surgery. I couldn't risk this and am working on weight loss with diet and exercise. Down 80 lbs and have 100 more to lose. I thought surgery was my only hope. It wasn't. Best wishes to you.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Maybe your body subconsciously does not want the surgery. With severe dieting you can make weight but that is if it is water weight.
  • Lauriepratt
    Options
    Hi! I had Gastric Bypass in May of 2011. Best thing I could have ever done for myself. I am down 209 pounds. I love my active lifestyle now! I can do so much more than I ever could have before. I say that my surgery allowed me the chance to change my lifestyle and be successful at keeping the weight off. The thing I would suggest for you is to log everything you put it your mouth. It will effect what you eat if you commit to logging everything. Also, make sure you drink lots of water and try to go off all caffeine. Caffeine makes you retain water and you don't want that right now! Good Luck!
  • happpyhappyjoyjoy
    happpyhappyjoyjoy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just start following your diet now and do the best you can. That's all you can do. Have you lost any weight as of yet? Maybe they will see the effort and still give you the surgery.
  • joolsmitchell
    joolsmitchell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Its gonna be quite a task in 10 days but all I can say is just try your very best and who knows? Just keep it healthy!
    I too was offered the path to surgery which was the kick up the bum I needed to do it myself. But we are all different and I really wish you the very best of luck. xx
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    you need to lose 7 kg in one week? even before the birthday party you had 5.5 kg to lose in one week. I don't see how you can do it - what *I* would do is drink a lot of water, stay off bread, exercise a lot and hope for the best. (But honestly i wouldn't have the surgery in the first place, and honestly you need to think if this is REALLY what you want to do. I know how difficult it is to lose weight and maintain, believe me i do. but I'm assuming that the surgeon gave you a reasonable time frame? you are going to have to follow a strict eating plan after surgery as well. are you able to do so).
  • sandip69
    sandip69 Posts: 20
    Options
    don't think it can be safely done. Don't quite see why one birthday leads to a 1.5kg weight gain!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    7 kg in one week is highly unlikely. I'd reschedule.

In the long term a month of rethinking and getting down to the required level will help you.
  • NinerUp
    NinerUp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It is possible. Stay away from anything that is white. Flour, rice, sugar and starchy vegtables. I had that surgery and have gained most of the weight back. Although I am grateful for the time it has bought me. My health was failing big time very rapidly. I wish i had the knowledge i have now about eating right. If i could go back i wouldnt get the surgery. But i totally see where your coming from. Good luck.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    You'll find this board is not very supportive of bariatric patients. The answer is: Maybe... If a lot of your problem is water weight. Prior to my VSG surgery I was placed on a special diet to shrink my liver (even though I had a normal liver, my doctor puts ALL of his bariatric patients on the same diet so I followed it)... it also took off a lot of weight (mostly water weight) Three sugar free/low carb protein shakes plus one "lean and green" such as a roasted chicken breast with steamed spinach, or a portion of poached salmon and a salad some balsamic vinegar on it. It will also be a good practice in discipline since after surgery you will have to so liquids for a period of time.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I know two people who have had this surgery. One looks good now, but she had a lot of post-op pain and says it was a hard way to go. The other has had infections, adhesions, is miserable and in pain all the time and wishes she had taken the time to do it the slow and healthy way, via diet ( lifestyle change) and exercise. Think this over carefully. Good luck to you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I need help! Had two birthdays this week... Father-in-law turned 70! I picked up 1.5kg. Now need to loose 7kg by 18 July 2013 BEFORE my gastric bypass surgery! Is this possible????
    If I don't loose it they will not operate.
    PLEASE help... I am desperate!
    :-(

Presumably you knew about this date for a while? Is there a reason that you haven't met your weight loss goal up till now?

Surgery won't magic away the issues behind why you over eat.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Why GBP surgery?
    I'm working with a guy now who started his journey at 700+LBS and is now down to the mid 500LBS.
    He just works out every other day and eats right.

GBP does cause you to lose weight but only has a 5% success rate long term.
    And its a huge change to your system.

If you do get the surgery, studies show better nutrient uptake from the system but youll have to dial down your intake big time, as well as drinking a lot of your calories.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    If you can't stick to the diet to lose beforehand, what makes you think you can do the diet after the surgery? I think the doctors have it right to have this requirement. That's a lot of weight to lose in 10 days. Frankly, it can't have snuck up on you, and I don't think you are showing that you've got what it takes to stick to the plan afterwards. What else have you tried before this? I've lost 120 pounds since October 1, 2012 just by counting calories and then adding exercise after three months. (Couldn't do any the first three months because I was hella fat (347 lbs at 5'2") and had a knee injury.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I really don't see how you can do that without chopping off a limb. 7.4kg is a LOT of weight to lose in a month, let alone a week!
    Did they tell you this at short notice? Not very fair...
  • crshaner
    crshaner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    where are you having your bypass?
  • franzplan
    franzplan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel for you! It's obvious you are desperate to feel better, and how you go about doing that is totally up to you. Stay positive and stay the course, if you can't have surgery next week then you can create a new goal for youself, get down that 7.4 kg for the next surgery date if that is what you choose to do. Hang in there, you are worth the journey to feel better however that happens! Good luck to you.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I would take the good parts of what people have to say and leave the negative behind. I agree you should start logging everything you eat because it will be a lesson on how to learn how to eat correctly and maintain/loss the weight before and after surgery. I have know a coupe of people who have had the surgery some were successful and some were not. It is really up to you. I do think you should reschedule the surgery because there are health reasons your doctor wants that weight gone before surgery. He also wants to make sure you are prepared to do what it takes to be successful. This surgery is not the magic pill you think it is. That being said with a healthy diet and a lot of discomfort you will lose the weight with this surgery. One of my friends who was successful that terrible acid reflux and thew up all the time. But she didn't care, she said it was worth it. But she still had to change her diet. Just learn how to eat so you don't gain it back after a small loss. I truly wish you the best of luck. Your best bet to lose the weight is low calorie, low carb high protein fish and lean meat (fish is the fastest) and green veggies only. If you would like to add me to have a friend throughout this journey I would be happy to be the support you need. Best of luck.
  • crshaner
    crshaner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Gastric Bypass is fantastic! Changed my life forever. For some of us, there was no other choice, and GBP has a way better success rate than the one posted on this forum. Research would be good for some of us.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Why GBP surgery?
    I'm working with a guy now who started his journey at 700+LBS and is now down to the mid 500LBS.
    He just works out every other day and eats right.

GBP does cause you to lose weight but only has a 5% success rate long term.
    And its a huge change to your system.

If you do get the surgery, studies show better nutrient uptake from the system but youll have to dial down your intake big time, as well as drinking a lot of your calories.

What you are saying is simply not true. If you want to convince anyone that GBP has a 5% long term success rate then cite your source.. I also challenge you to find ANY study that proves that diet and exercise alone has as good or HIGHER success rate than those patients who had GBP... Truth is.. GBP is a tool that will HELP patients stick with a calorie deficit for long enough to lose a significant amount of weight.. They may not lose ALL their weight and keep it all off... but over the long term, GBP are exponentially more successful than morbidly obese people who went the diet and exercise alone route. Those who have the BEST results are those who use their bariatric procedure as a tool in order to help them stick with the calorie deficit AND add a moderate amount of exercise. I'm not saying that people shouldn't TRY to do it without surgery.. there indeed are some who can do it this way... but before you go spewing statistics you need to have your facts straight.