Yogurt

TylerWhiite
TylerWhiite Posts: 108 Member
Hey everyone, I was wondering if it is healthy to eat yogurt while trying to lose fat. My diet contains mostly lean proteins and some vegetables. I would like to eat some low fat low sugar yogurts. However, I have been on a low carb diet, and am wondering if I should stick to it or switch to normal carb intake. Thanks!

Replies

• hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Greek yogurt is a far lot healthier than normal yogurt. Just be careful as yogurt is very high in sugars :)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    To lose weight it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you stick to your daily calories.
    A professor ate twinkies for 3 weeks to lose 20 pounds to prove this point.
    For me, a high "good carb" diet works.
    Full of beans, quinoa, lentils, oatmeal, brown rice, even a sweet potato from time to time.
    I try my best to avoid processed foods and "bad" carb foods. Not easy, but try.

More: I peeked at your diary. Go hug the person that is helping you w/ this and thank them.
    Awesome job. If on your own, you are one motivated 19 year old like I have never seen.
  • TylerWhiite
    TylerWhiite Posts: 108 Member
    To lose weight it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you stick to your daily calories.
    A professor ate twinkies for 3 weeks to lose 20 pounds to prove this point.
    For me, a high "good carb" diet works.
    Full of beans, quinoa, lentils, oatmeal, brown rice, even a sweet potato from time to time.
    I try my best to avoid processed foods and "bad" carb foods. Not easy, but try.

More: I peeked at your diary. Go hug the person that is helping you w/ this and thank them.
    Awesome job. If on your own, you are one motivated 19 year old like I have never seen.

This is my own diet actually haha. I was 315 pounds my senior year in high school, and am down to 206 at the end of my freshman year at college. It's just been a very tough road! Thank you for the advice as well! I miss eating yogurt and feel that if I add it into my diet, the extra carbs and sugar may effect me.
  • Krissi1330
    Krissi1330 Posts: 16 Member
    I eat full-fat plain Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and walnuts to enjoy yogurt without all the added sugars. The high fat/protein content makes it very filling, so it's tough to overeat as a snack. But it's also bitter by itself - takes some adjustment to get used to. I started with lots of fruit in it for sweetness and then gradually cut them back until I liked the taste with just a handful of blueberries on it. The fat isn't so worrisome as all the sugars in regular, flavored yogurts.
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    I like plain fage or chobani with fruit or sugarfree jello mix . good stuff
  • ThatBearsFan
    ThatBearsFan Posts: 8 Member
    Stick with Greek yogurt. I'm not a fan of the tanginess, so I usually add a sugar free flavor extract and a bit of Stevia, Swerve, or whatever sub I have on hand.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    tw807278 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I was wondering if it is healthy to eat yogurt while trying to lose fat. My diet contains mostly lean proteins and some vegetables. I would like to eat some low fat low sugar yogurts. However, I have been on a low carb diet, and am wondering if I should stick to it or switch to normal carb intake. Thanks!

Looking at your diary all the eggs, cheese & peanut butter product have way more fat than a yogurt, so maybe have 1 less egg and then add a yogurt if you want one.
  • caileag26
    caileag26 Posts: 29 Member
    If you're doing well on your current diet,stick with it. You can still add yogurt. My favorite is WalMart's light Greek yogurt. I get the toasted coconut vanilla. It only has 8 carbs, 90 cal, 12g protein, and 0 fat per serving.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Greek yogurt is a great breakfast food.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Foods in isolation are neither healthy or unhealthy. It's how you use them. Eating a yogurt isn't going to make you suddenly unhealthy.

If you want to eat yogurt and it fits in to your daily calorie and macronutritional goals, then eat it.

Greek yogurt seems to be the stock response in threads like this, but within a reasonable dietary intake nothing should be off-bounds.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    I like greek yogurt--Fage Total 2% fat. My sons your age go nuts over it. You decide how much sweetner you want in it. My sons put jam or honey with fresh fruit in it. Doing it this way, you can count calories on all the ingredients and see if it fits in for you. Sometimes I'll cut up strawberries or a kiwi, add a tsp of sugar and have that instead of an ice cream. Any Greek yogurt is probably good, I just found this one easier to find in large cartons at my grocery store.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    I personally don't care for the thicker texture of greek yogurt. I love my regular plain yogurt and its been even better since I've started making my own. I don't even like the flavored stuff anymore - love the tangy taste of plain yogurt!