does anyone else feel scared to eat?

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lol... I wish Id never asked the question now!! I think thereis a very fine line between knowing when to stop eating and what is healthy.

IMO there is no such thing as 'bad' food, it's just that some people eat badly... And that can go either way, too much, or too little.

It sounds to me like you have a disordered relationship with food, there is nothing wrong with getting a bit of outside help.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I agree with LoraF83

you need to eat, food is fuel for your body. You wouldn't run a car without petrol in the tank, so why do the same to yourself? Every cell in your body needs energy to run properly. It's not just feeding your cells either.... to move around you need energy. So you actually need quite a lot of energy on a daily basis. This energy comes from food, and all the various nutrients your body needs also comes from food. Without it, it's like running your car on an empty tank. Overeating isn't good.... but undereating is also really bad for your health. Sites like this one are about learning the right amount of food to feed your body, i.e. not too little, not too much. Giving yourself enough food to run your body properly will not make you fat. It's only when you eat more than what your body needs on a regular basis that you'll get fat.

Also, lets say you did put on some fat, because you overate for many, many days in a row... well you can come back here, set your calorie goal to lose, say, 0.5lb a week, track what you eat, and you'll slowly lose that fat again. It won't be the end of the world. It's not something that's going to suddenly happen overnight because you overate on one day. And it's not something that you can't control either. You are in control.

If telling yourself these kinds of things does not relieve your fear of eating, then it would be a good idea to speak to a professional about it sooner rather than later. Ask most people why they want to be thin... and they'll probably equate being thin with being happy. Being afraid to eat is not conducive to being happy.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    No that's a sign of an eating disorder

Kinda like when you eat something bad for you and get the look/feeling of pleasure. I think that's just as much of an eating disorder.

If food is supposed to be looked at as fuel, then lack of eating or eating too much both are eating disorders. But we all have our opinions.
  • Tigermum9
    Tigermum9 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    ok guys, I dont mean literally scared so I wont eat. What I mean is, I want to make sure Im eating healthy..even low fat and 'diet' foods are laden with sugar. Dont think I need psychiatric assessment just yet!!

thanks for your concern...i think!

You're right, low fat and diet foods are chemical *kitten* storms. Try just eating whole foods. Lean meat, vegetables, fruits, rice, oatmeal, nuts, etc. You can't gain fat unless you eat more than your body burns in a day. You need to learn your limits and understand that a scale gain isn't always fat, sometimes it's water or glycogen.

Thank you, this is what Im talking about. I need educating regarding this. I am feeling a bit worried about what Im eating. But I have taken the step to lose weight and I dont want to mess it up. Logging my food really helps.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    well, thanks for all your support lol...or not

I think you are looking at it from a wrong POV. Do you have a ED or not, only you can make that call and get help (I'm asuming you're an adult based on your profile pic). But others are showing concern, which, sounds like support to me.

And in all fairness to others, you did posed an odd question that is often said amongst folks with ED. And then you told us that you used to have an ED. They're just concerned for you, a total stranger. I don't know but that sounds very kind and supportive to me.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Don't get caught in a trap of thinking everything you eat has to be the "right" food or be perfectly healthy. As long as you are weighing and measuring food so you know you are meeting your calorie goal, you will lose weight. You can have a treat every day as long as it fits in your calorie goal. Find a balance between eating healthy things AND enjoying food. The occasional bit of "junk" food won't hurt you, as long as it's within your calorie goal.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,304 Member
    Options
    I fear blowing all my calories for the day and not having enough by the end of the day. so, i understand what you mean.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Nope. Eating is great!
  • Tigermum9
    Options
    No that's a sign of an eating disorder

Kinda like when you eat something bad for you and get the look/feeling of pleasure. I think that's just as much of an eating disorder.

If food is supposed to be looked at as fuel, then lack of eating or eating too much both are eating disorders. But we all have our opinions.

Sorry, didnt mean to sound rude. When I stop eating or throwing up then Ill consider seeing someone for help. But I think being worried about what Im eating is a good thing fr me right now
  • Tigermum9
    Options
    I fear blowing all my calories for the day and not having enough by the end of the day. so, i understand what you mean.

trying to plan and eat well, thats what I need to do
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    yes, some pizza is very scary.

scary-food-pizzamonster.jpg

ooh! scary... eh, kids?

Count-Floyd.jpg
  • Tigermum9
    Options
    Don't get caught in a trap of thinking everything you eat has to be the "right" food or be perfectly healthy. As long as you are weighing and measuring food so you know you are meeting your calorie goal, you will lose weight. You can have a treat every day as long as it fits in your calorie goal. Find a balance between eating healthy things AND enjoying food. The occasional bit of "junk" food won't hurt you, as long as it's within your calorie goal.

thank u, thats what I like about this site, I can plot everything down and allow myself treats
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I think I understand you, and I don't think that's an ED, just a wary attitude to certain food labels.

I also sometimes feel like it just isn't worth the hassle of eating.
    Preparing and logging food, especially if you can't find it on on mfp, just puts me off bothering!
    That said, when I cook I often enjoy it, but I have to be in the right mood.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    yes, this food is verrrrrrrrrrrrry scary.

scary-food-pizzamonster.jpg

I'd still eat it. The thought of letting pizza go to waste is what scares me!
  • Tigermum9
    Options
    ok, well I dont have an eating disorder, reckon I did once. I am just being conciencious of what Im eating.
    Just tread lightly. Demonizing food can lead you back down the road of disordered eating again. Just follow your calorie goal, try to hit your protein goals, and don't worry so much.
    thanks for your kind reply, I used to overeat, I also ate the wrong foods. I wont be making that mistake again.
  • Tigermum9
    Options

I think you are looking at it from a wrong POV. Do you have a ED or not, only you can make that call and get help (I'm asuming you're an adult based on your profile pic). But others are showing concern, which, sounds like support to me.

And in all fairness to others, you did posed an odd question that is often said amongst folks with ED. And then you told us that you used to have an ED. They're just concerned for you, a total stranger. I don't know but that sounds very kind and supportive to me.

I dodnt mean to be rude, sorry x
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I'm more "afraid" of not exercising than eating. I love to eat, so I'm always afraid I'm going to go over my calories if I don't exercise. Plan ahead, it makes healthy choices easier. I buy a bunch of veggies and cut them up and put them in a resealable container in the fridge. They are ready to go, with humus or cottage cheese to dip in, whenever I get a snack craving. I also keep fruit, cheese sticks, almonds, and snack bars(100 calories, with protein). I don't grab chips or cookies anymore because there are healthier options ready to go.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    ok, well I dont have an eating disorder, reckon I did once. I am just being conciencious of what Im eating.
    Just tread lightly. Demonizing food can lead you back down the road of disordered eating again. Just follow your calorie goal, try to hit your protein goals, and don't worry so much.
    thanks for your kind reply, I used to overeat, I also ate the wrong foods. I wont be making that mistake again.

there's no such this as "wrong" foods, only such thing as "too much" food or "too little" food.

the amount of food is all that matters for weight control.

the diversity of foods is all that matters for nutrition.
  • Tigermum9
    Options

I dodnt mean to be rude, sorry x

I didnt have a diagnosed eating disorder, I used to overeat.
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Okay...so I know EXACTLY what you are talking about! When I first go on a diet (which in my case is just watching what I eat) I don't want to touch ANYTHING! I always think I am making the wrong choice, and I'll spend forever looking at the label, even though I don't really know what I am looking for. When I do eat something, I think, Well, that was a bad idea, and then I'll jump right on the treadmill to burn what I just ate. But, I've stuck with this diet (lifestyle change) longer than any of the others, and I have to say, I'm glad I was like that in the beginning! Now, I can kind of eat whatever I want. I am more aware of what is in things. I don't eat any candy or pop or anything like that. I just do (mostly)healthy choices in moderation. I can now eat something and not panic about what I have just put into my system!

You're not alone!!

All the best to you!!