Need a reliable TDEE calculator

Options
I tried to f8nd my TDEE and I had like 3 difderent outcomes feom 3 different sites and calculators, where I believe that the difference is quiet big .. (from 150-200 calories aday)...
What I understood is that different calculators use different equations to figur out TDEEs, now I don't know which one is the correct one to follow..
I don't want to waste my time for trial and error to find out the best deficit calorie regimen to follow.
What is the best calculatir u r following here?

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The best TDEE calculator for me is my own body. Using MFP to set up my loss rate and calorie allowance, then logging accurately and comparing it to weight loss over 6 weeks or so tells me what my TDEE is.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You'll know after a few weeks which one is more accurate for you as you keep a note of your calories in/out and your weight. Eat somewhere in the middle of the given numbers and give it a few weeks to see. If you want to lose as long as you eat at deficit you will lose, how much you lose will also tell you what your TDEE really is.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like Scooby. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

But in the end, just pick one, and if you're losing too fast/too slow, adjust.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Use real world data.

A calculator is never going to be accurate to a personal level and will only give you a number spewed from whichever tables it is referencing.

Pick a number, accurately track and monitor intake and trends in weight, adjust as necessary.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I like Scooby. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

But in the end, just pick one, and if you're losing too fast/too slow, adjust.

I use this one, too. It has me losing an average of 1lb/wk on 1900 calories, and so far that's been right on the money. Your mileage may vary, though. You may have to play with your numbers a bit and see what works.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I tried to f8nd my TDEE and I had like 3 difderent outcomes feom 3 different sites and calculators, where I believe that the difference is quiet big .. (from 150-200 calories aday)...
    What I understood is that different calculators use different equations to figur out TDEEs, now I don't know which one is the correct one to follow..
    I don't want to waste my time for trial and error to find out the best deficit calorie regimen to follow.

That's kind of a huge issue... everything is dependent on your body TDEE BMI are all estimates so you need to invest that time and figure out what works for you. Just follow one and adjust accordingly.

Also if you can't develop any patients for this stuff then you wont succeed.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Pick a TDEE calculator, follow it for 4 weeks, and then adjust based on your results. Too bad if you don't want to use trial and error. That is the absolute best way to figure out your needed calorie level. You're only 40 years old. Four to eight weeks out of your life to figure out how to eat is not that much time in order to improve your health for the next 40+ years.
  • ralostaz2000
    ralostaz2000 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Pick a TDEE calculator, follow it for 4 weeks, and then adjust based on your results. Too bad if you don't want to use trial and error. That is the absolute best way to figure out your needed calorie level. You're only 40 years old. Four to eight weeks out of your life to figure out how to eat is not that much time in order to improve your health for the next 40+ years.
    I think you're absolutely right...I needed aome motivation to succeed and end of this dieting thing...I'm fed of dieting after my fourth delivery and I need thses extra pounds to fade like magic...I still only have 11 lbs to reach my goal and ideal weight...that's why maybe my patience is overrr...I lost the majority of the weight on Dukan but recently shifted to IIFYM so I can fit more bread into my diet☺

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Every TDEE estimator is reliable. They will spit out the same results every time you feed them the same inputs.

The problem with TDEE estimators is that users do a poor job estimating the required inputs. Are you lightly active, or very active? The worse you do choosing your inputs, the farther off your results will be from real life. Also, there are various equations for estimating BMR (the basis for calculating TDEE), and your guess is as good as mine for which is the best fit for you. If your goal is to lose weight, then underestimate your activity and just go with it. In 4-6 weeks of consistent accurate logging you'll get a pretty good idea of your TDEE.