NYT Ain't Got Nothing on Us: Maintainers Roll Call!

Options

Replies

• ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone so far for chiming in! Keep em' coming!
  • vjessup
    vjessup Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 years old & lost almost 40 lbs over several months, and have been maintaining for 18 months now. I was VERY afraid of the maintenance phase, but have found it to be relatively easy by just continuing to plan ahead and log food/exercise. Logging became part of my daily life, so no problem for me to continue. I wonder how many people have already given up their weight loss journey due to the NYT article -:(
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Lost 168 lbs overall. Took about 2 years and have been on MFP since April 201. (Other accounts)
    Maintaining now for 3 + years.
    Started late 40's, menopausal since op. at 28. Now at 53. Just over 2 years ago I was diagnosed with Lupus on top of having CRPS (since 1997) and have gone through a lot of life changes that I was told would be beginning of the end for me and I was sure to gain all the weight back.

I'm on long term steroids (2 + years) plus other meds. notorious for weight gain but it hasn't happened. I run a tight ship and log on here to make sure I'm getting good nutrition due to the fact that unintended weight loss is a constant issue.

It sucks I can't exercise like I used to be able, have developed osteoporosis and fractured my back twice, so my ways of getting mobile and maintaining strength have undergone many transformations and those setbacks have taken a bit of getting around but honestly even with disability and ill health there are ways of making the situation you are in work for you.

Best wishes to everyone.

With everything you go/have gone through, there is no way that no one can say that they can't maintain.
  • Poweredbycoffee06
    Poweredbycoffee06 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    NewDay16 wrote: »
    I have been maintaining my 100lbs loss for 10 years! Now I am doing body recomp (which is so slow, but I can already see progress). That article is all over my facebook page. I am so tired of seeing it.

NewDay16,
    You are my hero! I want to be posting that I maintained a 90 lb weight loss for 10 years in a decade! Please share your story. Forgive my ignorance, but what is body recomp?
    -K

That would be a very long story lol. I will sit down this weekend and type up my story and post it here on the site. Maybe it will help someone!

Body recomp is changing body composition. I had back to back injuries three years ago. I broke my foot one year and then then right after it was healed I was in an accident which messed my knee up. In this time I maintained my weight but I wasn't able to be as active and my fat % went to poo. I didn't like the way my body looked and I lost a lot of strength. I started weight lifting and eating at maintenance to a little above in hopes of building a little muscle and losing fat.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining my 100lbs loss for 10 years! Now I am doing body recomp (which is so slow, but I can already see progress). That article is all over my facebook page. I am so tired of seeing it.

NewDay16,
    You are my hero! I want to be posting that I maintained a 90 lb weight loss for 10 years in a decade! Please share your story. Forgive my ignorance, but what is body recomp?
    -K

That would be a very long story lol. I will sit down this weekend and type up my story and post it here on the site. Maybe it will help someone!

You are a true success story! I am positive there are many people here who would love to hear how you have done this for 10 years against all odds. An amazing accomplishment, and you are a hero to everyone that is going through this.

It gives us all hope for achieving the same. Looking forward to reading your story. Thank you in advance for taking the time to tell it!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

NewDay16,
    -K

Body recomp is changing body composition. I had back to back injuries three years ago. I broke my foot one year and then then right after it was healed I was in an accident which messed my knee up. In this time I maintained my weight but I wasn't able to be as active and my fat % went to poo. I didn't like the way my body looked and I lost a lot of strength. I started weight lifting and eating at maintenance to a little above in hopes of building a little muscle and losing fat.

Gotcha! Sounds like recomp is a probably slowish fat loss/muscle gain while maintaining weight? Sounds like a great way to stay motivated on maintenance. Looking forward to that. Looking forward to your story, too!
  • snowflake930
    Options
    jrwms714 wrote: »
    (Good article to read: Dr. Berkley's Easy Keepers, on her site: www.refusetoregain.com MFP Weight losers and Maintainers Unite! We know what to do and, once again, the media gives inappropriate information!

^^Thanks for the site.
    Also, not enough information re: the article, even though it was lengthy. A lot left out.

• snowflake930
    edited May 2016
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    I would love to know if they actually tried to do anything to maintain their weight loss. Monitored calories, upped exercise, etc. It does sound like there were some thing going against them, but I don't see anything that means they couldn't have kept the weight off if they had the tools most of the maintainers here have. This thread is awesome and should give people that want to be hopeful, plenty of hope.

I was wondering the same thing. How many calories were they actually eating and how much exercising. Pretty important part of the study I would think, in order for the information to be useful for publication.