Bathing suits idk if I’m plus size

Options
2»

Replies

• laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I have a few mix/match tankini tops from Target that I usually pair with basic, higher-waisted black bikini bottoms. If you're planning on losing weight throughout the summer, this might be the way to go so you don't spend $100 on a suit that's too big in 5 or 6 weeks.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I mix and match mine-I currently have a bottom (black skirted, that offers a bit more coverage), from Target and then a floral pattern halter top style top from Old Navy. I really like Target's bottoms but found their tops to be a bit too small for my comfort level :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm pear shaped so I don't look good in anything - never did - despite the fact that I'm short, flat chested, and petite.

I finally got swim shorts and pair them with a rash guard top - under which I wear a bikini top. I'm covered up but still comfortable.
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options

UK 14 is not plus sized.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    There is a tankini at Target I want to try. I figure it should be relatively inexpensive, so if I later decide I don't like, don't feel comfortable, or my size changes then I won't feel bad about wasting $80+. In the past I have gotten one piece suits from Kohls and Victorias Secret.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I order all my suits from SwimOutlet. They have great sales and an awesome easy return policy if your suit doesn't fit. My general go-to is Dolphin, which makes generously sized suits. I refuse to drop close to 100$ on a suit I'm going to wear for maybe three months. :)
  • MaGrl523
    MaGrl523 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Target! I always get my bathing suits there.

I second Target! There bathing suits are pretty cute and they have seperates
  • alaynavee
    alaynavee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If you wear a size 14, then check out bathing suits by Maxine of Hollywood or Swim Solutions. They have a little more coverage than the average suit, which I like as I'm a little heavier on the bottom. I don't need a swim dress, but something with a sarong or little skirt on the front looks and feels really good. I have found both brands run true to size. They are available online or at Macy's.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    The online site Swimsuitsforall has a lot of options, and they aren't very expensive.
  • vegasleo79
    vegasleo79 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sizes can look really different on people. I'm a 12/14 and I really don't think I look it. Not trying to be delusional, it's just how it is. When I'm a 10 (my goal), I think I look more like a small 8.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    If you are 5'7" and long waisted, you may be buying a size bigger than you need in a one piece because they seem to be made for short ladies.

If this is happening to you, I'd highly recommend Athleta. Those suits are pricey but they come in tall sizes so that the length can accomodate your torso, which may result in a much more flattering fit. I had always had to buy bikinis but now am the proud owner of a "mom suit", a one piece halter top, as well. It's held up for five years!

I do not think 14 is plus size, it's more likely the one-pieces are too short.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Everything But Water (there are stores in malls here in the US, but they also have an online store). They sell quality brands and I've been very happy with the suits that I've purchased. The best is that they have bra-separates for larger-chested women.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,816 Member
    Options
    US or UK or other? When I was a US 14 or 16, I found OK suits sometimes at JCPenney, and there are frequent sales or special offers.
  • CheatinLil
    CheatinLil Posts: 71 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I am a US 14. The main reason is because of my belly! So my sizes that fit me best are Juniors 13, 15 or Women's 14. Most XL shirt will fit but sometimes I like a 1X. The arms and legs maybe flowey but the belly needs the extra width. I think other women in their 40's can relate. If I go to 12 I get muffin top or look pregnant :(

Funny I just checked my dress pants size and they are a Medium from Catos. I guess it all depends where you buy things from.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I was the same size as the op when I started buying my suits at Victoria's Secret. Size large bottoms(depending on how much coverage you like) and I find their tops that are sized like bras are true to size. The first few times I wore them was when we were on holiday in Cuba and there was only my husband and a bunch of strangers. But my comfort level grew and now I wear them constantly. I have a body, I have a bikini, when I put the two together I have a bikini body.

Wear what you are comfy in. My husband begged me for years to put on a bikini. So glad I finally listened!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I'm a speedo devotee, but then again I do lap swimming. Any good sports Store will have a great selection.

I'm a lap swimmer as well and not interested in two piece suits or straps that don't cross.
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Target and Zappos!
  • WA_mama2
    WA_mama2 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Target! I always get my bathing suits there.

I just scored a $40 suit for $13 from the clearance rack.

Check there, OP!
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You can always get the bikini and wear it just for hubby if you're not comfortable with it in public.

This^ or Torrid.