Bathing suits idk if I’m plus size

Options
Where do yall buy your bathing suits?
I’m size 14. I’m 167 lbs and 5’7”. I would like to lose weight but I’m not very consistent. Right now, I’m still “trying”. My inconsistently trying seems to have kept me from gaining weight over the last couple years but I keep gaining and losing the same 6 lbs. I don’t want to stress myself out.
I will need a bathing suit for the summer. Last year I bought one at Marshals that I like. It’s a one piece. My husband, got to love him, wants me to wear a bikini. I think he is adorable to think I could pull one off. I have seen some that I think would look good but when I try them on, they don’t.
I don’t need to buy a bikini but I would like to buy a new flattering swimsuit. I have spent as much as $80 for a good looking swimsuit. I figure if I think I look good, it’s worth it! Is there a brand you all prefer? Where do yall buy your bathing suits?
Thanks!

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I always go for tankinis. I don't want my stomach to show, but I am not the same size on the top as I am on the bottom so I look for swimsuits that I can buy separately.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Land's End! They have suits of all kinds in lots of sizes! Be sure to use their sizing chart and measure yourself to get a good fit.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Land's End! They have suits of all kinds in lots of sizes! Be sure to use their sizing chart and measure yourself to get a good fit.

Yep, they're awesome.
  • barbara3213
    barbara3213 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You can always get the bikini and wear it just for hubby if you're not comfortable with it in public.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    More and more places are selling parts of bikinis separately, which is great. Personally, I've never been able to keep them on! I'm pretty large and bouncy on top, and there's just no reining them in. Any tips? Do people use glue? (no joke - I understand that's what some people do for evening gowns)
  • stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Target! I always get my bathing suits there.
  • CheatinLil
    CheatinLil Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions :)
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Last July when I went to Cancun I was a size 14 and I bought a few swim dresses (covers the thighs) at Macy's. They were on sale so the price was like $50. I don't need them anymore now that I've lost weight so I would totally give them to you if I could. I only wore them once and then I started my weight loss journey last August. I'm totally wearing a bikini this year when we go to Cancun!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I bought mine from Torrid. They have a good selection of one piece, tankinis, and bikinis. They usually have good sales and coupons and I was able to get $40 off of the one I bought a few weeks ago.
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    <sigh> Any chance that you're a UK14?

OK, I only ask since I'm wearing (an admittedly tight) 14/16 US as a 5'7" 215lb lady. So I dread having to wear the same size 40lbs from now! :D

I need a new swimsuit too as my old one has worn out and I'm dreading looking. All the blue bottom area has faded almost to the point of transparency! Found it at JCPenney, so maybe I'll look there again. I'll give myself another month or two maybe...but I need it before summer! I've always preferred the tankini too.
  • ivylaurenolsen
    ivylaurenolsen Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have a few bikinis for times when I am just with my husband and feeling confident but honestly I LOVE tankinis. There are so many cute ones around right now. I just got one from a little online boutique called Janela Bay (look them up) and another one from another online site called hush and salt. You don't sound plus-sized to me but different places have different sizes. Have fun with suit shopping!!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I'm a speedo devotee, but then again I do lap swimming. Any good sports Store will have a great selection.
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Rogstar wrote: »
    <sigh> Any chance that you're a UK14?

OK, I only ask since I'm wearing (an admittedly tight) 14/16 US as a 5'7" 215lb lady. So I dread having to wear the same size 40lbs from now! :D

I need a new swimsuit too as my old one has worn out and I'm dreading looking. All the blue bottom area has faded almost to the point of transparency! Found it at JCPenney, so maybe I'll look there again. I'll give myself another month or two maybe...but I need it before summer! I've always preferred the tankini too.

If it's any consolation, I'm currently 172lb, 5'6.5" and a uk 14 on bottom half, 14-16 on top half. Don't fret! :)
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I've seen some awesome Nike bathing suits that look like workout gear.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I just bought myself a new swimsuit from Walmart. Tanking. LG top and medium swim skirt bottom. I am 5'6" and currently at 154lbs. They have a great new line at Walmart that I really love and the prices (in canada) were 25$ each piece.
  • BettyEtte
    BettyEtte Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Zero Xpozur is a brand I like. Kohls carries them. Sometimes I wear a Zero Xpozur top and match it with running short bottoms. Still looks cute and sporty, but not overly exposed.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I buy mine at Lane Bryant. Usually buy tankinis.
  • vegasleo79
    vegasleo79 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Try ASOS, they're awesome. Free shipping both ways if you spend $40. Cute dresses too. Sizes up to 14. Plus I think they also have some plus. Check out their "outlet" section too for clearance.
  • jennifer3998
    jennifer3998 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I, too, was wondering about how you can be a 14 at that height and weight! (This is a compliment.). Before I lost 17 pounds, I was 167 at 5'8 and still wore an 8. Make sure you are wearing the right size!