Diet soda

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    alexzenk86 wrote: »
    And here come all the experts in the health industry. Please inform me how soda is healthy for me! You guys are my inspiration!!!

I don't even drink soda anymore and I recognize that your post was flat out wrong. But, yeah really no point :p

Flat out wrong? Talking to a nurse, who just went to medical school, informs me that the Aspartame is what causes cancer? Yep I'm wrong. Go ahead and believe what you want. I don't drink soda any more. I used to. I loved it, I would drink it every day. But I realized that that along with the food I was consuming was killing me. So I changed my life. I drink water, tea and coffee and stick to a lot healthier foods. But again, the opinions of the people here mean nothing to me.

Nurses have zero training in nutrition. One of my best friends is a University of Penn trained doctor and she has 0 courses in nutrition. All of my wife's doctors, to include cardiologist, eletrophysiologist (specialty cardiologist), endocrinologist, OBYGN and gastroenterologist, all disagree with you and your nurse friend.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    oh boy the token 'it's linked to cancer response'

Artificial sweeteners have only been linked to cancer in rat models and thus far the biological mechanisms or dosages they use are not plausible to extrapolate to humans.

Things like cancer are multifactorial so if there was any increased risk associated with diet soda (whatever mechanism you propose), it would be a very small risk increase and only occur at the highest ingestion levels when compared to the lowest. Cancer requires many factors acting in tandem to initiate the mutation and allow for cell proliferation. If there was a large risk increase, the studies would pick it up, as of now, we have results going back and forth (negative association, no association, positive association) which means either no association or a very small one. Aspartame has not been claimed to be carcinogenic and if doctors (by this you should mean researchers) found it was, they could publish on it, because the soda industry would just use another sweetener and market how they've removed aspartame (like the food industry did when they removed trans fats).

It's fine to stay informed and keep reading the new studies on artificial sweeteners or diet soda, but the media hype that the one study that finds an association receives doesn't counter all the studies that find the opposite.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    I enjoy a Coke Zero or Cherry Coke Zero daily. On the weekends I sometimes add rum. :)
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    And here come all the experts in the health industry. Please inform me how soda is healthy for me! You guys are my inspiration!!!

I don't even drink soda anymore and I recognize that your post was flat out wrong. But, yeah really no point :p

Flat out wrong? Talking to a nurse, who just went to medical school, informs me that the Aspartame is what causes cancer? Yep I'm wrong. Go ahead and believe what you want. I don't drink soda any more. I used to. I loved it, I would drink it every day. But I realized that that along with the food I was consuming was killing me. So I changed my life. I drink water, tea and coffee and stick to a lot healthier foods. But again, the opinions of the people here mean nothing to me.

My MD doctor, who told me it doesn't and it's fine to drink in moderation, trumps your nurse. So there :D But seriously, my doctor and I have actually discussed diet soda (caffeine consumption is on the questionnaire you have to fill out every time, and then my doctor goes over all of it with me). And she really did tell me that it was fine in moderation. She has all my health markers/paperwork and I'm in excellent health. Now dentist is another story, and she's going to be pretty geeked when I tell her next time that I've cut out the soda. But again, that's where moderation (and a straw) comes into play, and I didn't follow that. I've also cut out things like oranges, which also have a high citric acid content.

And as a sidenote-my sister, who's a nurse, drinks diet soda. Go figure.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Regarding doctors' advice on controversial matters, I know someone who has had cancer and the nutritional advice given was basically that he didn't need to have any regard whatsoever for his diet.
    I'm just saying, just because a doctor thinks drinking diet soda is fine in moderation doesn't say much…
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited May 2016
    Regarding doctors' advice on controversial matters, I know someone who has had cancer and the nutritional advice given was basically that he didn't need to have any regard whatsoever for his diet.
    I'm just saying, just because a doctor thinks drinking diet soda is fine in moderation doesn't say much…

But a nurse who says it causes cancer is legitimate. Makes sense.

These threads always go round and round and no one ever changes anyone elses minds. OP, I hope you figure out what works best for you :)
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    edited May 2016

I think this says a lot. We sit here and throw punches at each other based off what a doctor may say, or what some studies online say. But I think it comes down to people who are focused on a healthy lifestyle, eating right, drinking right they could care less about soda and what may or may not do to someone.
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    I enjoy a Coke Zero or Cherry Coke Zero daily. On the weekends I sometimes add rum. :)

yup. I also enjoy a Sprite Zero with vodka sometimes on the weekend. :D
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    You think that's bad. In Scotland we have Irn-Bru :-) Seriously I drink coke very occasionally - usually with Havana Rum - once in a while I guess its ok.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

My MD doctor, who told me it doesn't and it's fine to drink in moderation, trumps your nurse. So there :D But seriously, my doctor and I have actually discussed diet soda (caffeine consumption is on the questionnaire you have to fill out every time, and then my doctor goes over all of it with me). And she really did tell me that it was fine in moderation. She has all my health markers/paperwork and I'm in excellent health. Now dentist is another story, and she's going to be pretty geeked when I tell her next time that I've cut out the soda. But again, that's where moderation (and a straw) comes into play, and I didn't follow that. I've also cut out things like oranges, which also have a high citric acid content.

I don't drink much diet soda (although its the only soda I drink). I do drink lots of coffee. My doctor thinks I should substitute some diet soda (or ideally, those flavored waters which I enjoy, which are also bubbly and have artificial sweetener) for the coffee (as do I, but I love the coffee so much). The reason is I have sleep issues that might be helped by cutting caffeine and diet soda has less than coffee. I also drink tons of water. (I don't know why I have a mental block about decaf coffee.)

Apparently my doctor thinks diet soda is fine in moderation also.

Coffee is bad for the teeth too.
  • lemurcat12
    MindPump1 wrote: »

Soda is not healthy for you, but diet soda in moderation is not unhealthy and if you drink high cal beverages diet soda might be a healthier replacement, depending.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

Towards the beginning of the thread, @psulemon was kind enough to link to a thread that provides all kinds of information about how aspartame is just fine. Here it is again if you missed it http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1
  • ReaderGirl3
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I don't drink much diet soda (although its the only soda I drink). I do drink lots of coffee. My doctor thinks I should substitute some diet soda (or ideally, those flavored waters which I enjoy, which are also bubbly and have artificial sweetener) for the coffee (as do I, but I love the coffee so much). The reason is I have sleep issues that might be helped by cutting caffeine and diet soda has less than coffee. I also drink tons of water. (I don't know why I have a mental block about decaf coffee.)

I switched out the soda with black tea to keep my caffeine levels the same (not a coffee drinker), and there's actually supposed to be benefits from tea drinking, for teeth. Research is promising for both black and green tea, and green tea has lower amounts of caffeine. Might be a coffee alternative for you?
    https://www.deltadentalins.com/oral_health/tea.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1344892.stm
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2016

I switched out the soda with black tea to keep my caffeine levels the same (not a coffee drinker), and there's actually supposed to be benefits from tea drinking, for teeth. Research is promising for both black and green tea, and green tea has lower amounts of caffeine. Might be a coffee alternative for you?

Hmm. I hate green tea, and thought black was about the same as coffee, but that's interesting. I do love Earl Grey. I have used herbal tea which I like, though not as much, from time to time. Maybe I'll try subbing some black tea for a while.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    My personal experience drinking two cans of diet Pepsi per day at lunch; I started have slurred speech on occasion in the afternoon for no known reason. I stopped drinking diet Pepsi and the slurred speech has not returned after over five years.

Maybe the rum was the culprit, instead? ;)

(And btw, yes, I'm joking. Just in case the winkie smilie wasn't enough of a clue. :) )

• ReaderGirl3
    edited May 2016

Hmm. I hate green tea, and thought black was about the same as coffee, but that's interesting. I do love Earl Grey. I have used herbal tea which I like, though not as much, from time to time. Maybe I'll try subbing some black tea for a while.

I adore Bigelow plantation mint black tea and it's my go to one. I can find it frequently on sale at my local grocery store for $2 a box. I add a small splash of 0 calorie liquid sweetener (my husband drinks it without it though), and drink 3 cups a day of it :)
    https://www.bigelowtea.com/Shop-Teas/By-Type/Black/Plantation-Mint-Tea#.VyoSizFR23k
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    I have no idea how people can think 40 years of research could have been bought by Coca Cola (who couldn't give two *kitten* if you buy diet or regular as long as you buy any of their stuff) when the whole tobacco industry couldn't stop overwhelming evidence that smoking is bad for you, leading to warning labels and in many places higher taxes on tobacco products.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator

I think this says a lot. We sit here and throw punches at each other based off what a doctor may say, or what some studies online say. But I think it comes down to people who are focused on a healthy lifestyle, eating right, drinking right they could care less about soda and what may or may not do to someone.

And making up erroneous rules because some uneducated person who is the medical field or some blogger makes up because chemical isnt helpful and will not make you healthier. Science has not proven it to be unhealthy or harmful. And even more, health is comprised of a lot more factors than what you drink to keep on track, such as: activity/lifestyle, body composition, genetics, alcohol/drug use, etc.... and based on a lot of anecdotal evidence, genetics seems to be the most important factor.

Soda, just like diet, is a personal choice. If you don't want to drink it, that is fine. But siggesting something that isn't founded by science is a bit much. And i personally will side with science.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    My personal experience drinking two cans of diet Pepsi per day at lunch; I started have slurred speech on occasion in the afternoon for no known reason. I stopped drinking diet Pepsi and the slurred speech has not returned after over five years.

It could have been the Jim Beam you were adding to it.