Diet soda

124»

Replies

• 19tilmaintenance
    19tilmaintenance Posts: 1 Member
    I drank diet soda when I weighed 350#. I drink the same amount 22 months later at 157#. It has made no difference whatsoever for me.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,230 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    alexzenk86 wrote: »
    It causes cancer --- just wanted to turn this into a 200 page thread.

I think you probably did. I got into a debate/argument with people over how unhealthy diet soda is in another thread, and the people are ruthless. I was having this same conversation with a buddy of mine who happens to be a nurse, and he agrees, the Aspartame is what we should be worried about. That is what causes cancer. I'm sure I'll get people that will bark at me and demand I show studies, or websites to back up my view, but I'm just saying what we talked about. Also, do you actually think doctors, will actually say that person A's death was caused by soda? There is to much money in the food industry for death to be linked to soda, or diseases to be directly to soda. So, MFP, have at it.

If you want to take your information from people with no formal training in nutrition (nurses, doctors) vice tons of studies that prove otherwise, that is your prerogative.

Or to be accurate, he is taking his information from singular person with no formal training, not plural people.

All nursing and medical people do not think like his one friend.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,919 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    MindPump1 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    johnwelk wrote: »
    Flat out wrong?
    Yep, flat out wrong.
    Talking to a nurse, who just went to medical school, informs me that the Aspartame is what causes cancer?
    Your nurse friend went to nursing school, not medical school. And your nurse friend is wrong. No evidence exits to show that any artificial sweetener causes cancer in humans. None. Zero.
    Yep I'm wrong.
    Yep, you're wrong.

HAHA This makes me laugh. Sure I typed medical school, meant nursing school, but I sure am glad you went out of your way to point that out. All the tests that have been done on humans are all inconclusive because of other elements that existed such as sugar. They brushed everything off as chance with the correlation between aspartame and cancer. Do you actually think that the food industry would come out and say that one of their ingredients has been tied to cancer? I doubt it, call it what you want. But I could care less for soda, the affects it has on people, short term or long term. I also think this thread is entertaining because you say anything against soda, and people get so defensive..

It wouldn't matter what the food industry was prepared to admit. Even Big Tobacco admitted that nicotine causes cancer, once there was sufficient scientific evidence to support it. The fact remains there hasn't been a single study in humans directly linking aspartame to cancer.

Your right, because every time they study it there are to many variables to consider.

A recent study of more than 125,000 people found a link between consumption of aspartame sweetened soda and the risk of leukemia, lymphoma, and multiple myeloma in men, but not in women. Since it also found a link between sugar sweetened soda and lymphoma in men, the researchers concluded that the links they found could be explained by chance.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/aspartame

Right...

So did you read the article? Can you point to the part where it indicates that aspartame is carcinogenic? Because all I can find is this section:

What expert agencies say

Expert agencies in the United States and elsewhere that have evaluated aspartame have found it safe for use.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates the use of aspartame and other artificial sweeteners in the United States. In 2007, the FDA stated:

Considering results from the large number of studies on aspartame's safety, including five previously conducted negative chronic carcinogenicity studies, a recently reported large epidemiology study with negative associations between the use of aspartame and the occurrence of tumors, and negative findings from a series of three transgenic mouse assays, FDA finds no reason to alter its previous conclusion that aspartame is safe as a general purpose sweetener in food.

The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) assesses the safety of sweeteners such as aspartame in the European Union. According to a 2009 report from its Panel on Food Additives and Nutrient Sources Added to Food:

Overall, the Panel concluded, on the basis of all the evidence currently available… that there is no indication of any genotoxic or carcinogenic potential of aspartame and that there is no reason to revise the previously established ADI for aspartame of 40 mg/kg [body weight].

Though research into a possible link between aspartame and cancer continues, these agencies agree that studies done so far have not found such a link.
    Ooops. Maybe he didn't read the study.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    ma2007pmc wrote: »
    Is it really as bad as the health reports say? I get my water in but I also have a "healthy" coke zero addiction.

GARBAGE don't touch it
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Monks don't drink diet coke.

Monks also don't have sex. Not sure what your point is?
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Your body will give you the answer. I feel very sick after drinking diet soda or anything containing artificial sweeteners. But the majority of people have absolutely zero problems with it. Cheers!
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    I personally have a much harder time losing weight while drinking diet soda. I also feel much better when I don't drink it.

If you have a lot of weight to lose, and the diet soda helps you to lose it, then maybe drinking diet soda while you're losing weight outweighs any possible health consequences. However, I really do think that anything with chemicals (diet soda) or lots of added refined sweeteners (regular soda) should be an occasional treat. I'm not sure what could be controversial about this opinion, but I'm sure someone will disagree :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    I personally have a much harder time losing weight while drinking diet soda. I also feel much better when I don't drink it.

If you have a lot of weight to lose, and the diet soda helps you to lose it, then maybe drinking diet soda while you're losing weight outweighs any possible health consequences. However, I really do think that anything with chemicals (diet soda) or lots of added refined sweeteners (regular soda) should be an occasional treat. I'm not sure what could be controversial about this opinion, but I'm sure someone will disagree :)

It's fairly simple. Everything has chemicals (dihydrogen monoxide - water). But just because chemicals are synthesized (aspartame) it then becomes bad?

• skinnyforhi
    I wouldn't compare water with diet soda. I think soda in any form should be an occasional treat. Everyone should make the choice that is right for them- that's my choice.
  • psuLemon
    I wouldn't compare water with diet soda. I think soda in any form should be an occasional treat. Everyone should make the choice that is right for them- that's my choice.

Diet soda is mostly water. It's the first ingredient. Aspatame is two natural occurring amino acids that were combined to make a sweetener. And no one is suggesting only drink diet soda, we are saying having one or two a day isn't going to hurt you.

I used water as a demonstration of chemicals. Water is chemicals. Everything is chemicals.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Monks don't drink diet coke.

Monks also don't have sex. Not sure what your point is?

I think it was a sarcasm.
  • skinnyforhi

Diet soda is mostly water. It's the first ingredient. Aspatame is two natural occurring amino acids that were combined to make a sweetener. And no one is suggesting only drink diet soda, we are saying having one or two a day isn't going to hurt you.

I used water as a demonstration of chemicals. Water is chemicals. Everything is chemicals.

I'm not sure how my statement that any type of soda should be an "occasional treat" is any different than what you are saying. But, as other posters have said, diet coke is a polarizing topic.

• psuLemon

I'm not sure how my statement that any type of soda should be an "occasional treat" is any different than what you are saying. But, as other posters have said, diet coke is a polarizing topic.

I was explaining why its controversial. And how do you define occasional treat?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    ma2007pmc wrote: »
    Is it really as bad as the health reports say? I get my water in but I also have a "healthy" coke zero addiction.

GARBAGE don't touch it

I suppose you can't expound.
  • skinnyforhi
    The original poster said she had "a healthy Coke zero addiction." I responded that I personally feel better when I don't drink it at all, but that I thought all soda was fine as an occasional treat. I would define "occasional treat" as something you enjoy perhaps 2-3 times a week (if you are having a can), or every day, depending on quantity (a few ounces as an afternoon pick-me-up, but not a large fountain soda).

I am not qualified to respond to your statement that twice a day won't "hurt" you. I personally feel better when I don't drink it. I listen to those signals.
  • psuLemon
    The original poster said she had "a healthy Coke zero addiction." I responded that I personally feel better when I don't drink it at all, but that I thought all soda was fine as an occasional treat. I would define "occasional treat" as something you enjoy perhaps 2-3 times a week (if you are having a can), or every day, depending on quantity (a few ounces as an afternoon pick-me-up, but not a large fountain soda).

I am not qualified to respond to your statement that twice a day won't "hurt" you. I personally feel better when I don't drink it. I listen to those signals.

You also stated: "I'm not sure what could be controversial about this opinion, but I'm sure someone will disagree"

I wasn't disagreeing with what you said. I was trying to explain why this could be controversial based on how these threads go.