How many calories do you spend on treats?

Options

Replies

• sun_cat
    sun_cat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I think the key for me was changing my vocabulary/thinking about food. I don't use words like 'treats', 'indulge' or 'save up for'. As long as I kept those words around foods, then clearly I still had the thoughts that some foods were different. It took a while, but now I eat what I feel like and nothing is a treat - unless it's expen$ive like artichokes or fancy balsamic vinegar or something like that. But cookies or chocolate are ordinary.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Ninety nine percent of the time I dont use up all my daily allotment of calories, but I also have to be mindful that I want to change my eating habits for a lifetime and learn to make choices that are better for me physically and psychologically. That said, I love me some chips, and have found a marvelous product (Kelloggs cracker chips in a variety of flavours, like salt and vinegar, butter popcorn, bbq, etc) that allows me to have "chips" for less than 100 cals per serve, and seems to successfully satisfy my need for the empty calories that chips represent. I also like marshmallow squares with chocolate drizzle that come in at about 110 cals, or jello sugar free puddings at about 50 cals. They hit my sweet spot and I feel happy that I have been able to manage a little indulgence into my day.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    about 200 calories a day
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    128 per day, every day for almost 3 years now & I never get tired of it
    Fiber one brownie bar 90
    1 piece of dove dark chocolate caramel with sea salt 38
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Did I go to the gym that day? If so, whatever I earned for my workout. If I was a lazy slug then my treat consists of a medium skim latte no sugar from Dunkin Donuts(100 calories) and a 48 calorie square of Lindt's dark chocolate with sea salt. I'm pretty consistent on non gym days.
  • kay_78
    kay_78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I work on my feet walking around all day (7-7.5 hours) so on work days I allow 250 calories for snacking. On days off I allow 100-150 calories.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I eat about 500 calories of treats (actual desserts, not yogourt or fruit) a day. My calorie allowance is about 1900-2000/day. I meet all my micro and macronutrients each day, so this works for me. FWIW I'm also in maintenance.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Xxlune wrote: »
    Do you have them daily or do you save them up to indulge properly once a week?

It took a long time for my thinking to come around on this. It's not enough to just change my mind, my stomach had to buy in!

I thought I used to indulge "properly" but I used to over-indulge. Now I indulge properly. I probably do it most days.
  • shank35l
    shank35l Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    270/day in the form of 1 starbucks mocha frappe. It is my great nutritional sin.
  • VegasCaveman
    VegasCaveman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I spend any extra calories usually on better treats. My protein shakes and oranges usually cure my sugar cravings pretty easily. I'll include things like cheese to make a meal more tasty if I have extra. I can skip the dessert aisle decently.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I don't consider anything to be a treat anymore... I eat whatever fits in my goals. If that's salmon+green beans OR pizza for dinner, that's just what's for dinner... not a treat.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I don't eat treats on a regular basis anymore. But for special occasions (birthdays!) I don't bother logging and I eat as much cake as I want (for that one day only).
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you consider treats. I love oatmeal squares, and often have them both for a lunch and a snack. Kids' breakfast cereal is another favorite snack. If you count all that as "treats", then 500-600 calories or so per day out of my 1900.

In terms of things like ice cream, bakery goods, etc., not a whole lot - I go out for a frozen custard every week or two, sometimes I eat ice cream sandwiches. I also have a few hundred calories in pastry crisps for snacks here and there through the week. Cake, cookies, and donuts on occasion, though usually I'll buy or make some once, have a portion daily until gone, and then go months before having more.
  • smariba
    smariba Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I try to have a treat everyday. I love me some chocolate. And McDonald's caramel sundaes. Mmmmm. Today I had a bag of peanut m&m's which was upwards of 450 calories. I don't usually indulge that much but I was trying to appease the monthly monster. I try to stick to 100-200 calories a day. As long as I have them available. I listen to my body. If it needs chocolate. I feed it. This has worked great for me so far.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I don't eat things I don't enjoy so...all of them.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Personally, none. My goals are way more important to me than chocolate.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The 'treat' I have each day is a hot pickle. it's upwards of 300 mg sodium, hotter'n a scalded kitten, and 1 calorie.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    depends on my level of activity that day. anywhere between 200-500
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,059 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I don't eat things I don't enjoy so...all of them.

Me too! :)
    Machka9 wrote: »
    All of them!! :)

I can't imagine forcing myself to eat things I don't enjoy ... in fact, I made a decision when I started on my weight loss mission. Everything I ate was going to be something I enjoyed. I simply wouldn't waste my calories on things I don't enjoy.