losing weight on 1500 calories per day?

2»

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    With your stats, the calories you are eating are probably close to your maintenance level. You are possibly maintaining at 1500-1600 calories so eating 1400 yields less than half a pound a week, which can easily be masked by weight fluctuations. My personal advice to you would be patience.

If you want to make the loss a little bit faster you could add random short walks throughout the day if you are able to, or any kind active time. You don't need to push yourself beyond what you think is reasonable though. Since you don't have a lot of weight to lose your weight will be coming off slowly anyway, so finding a level of effort that is sustainable to you is more important than attempting to speed things up, and again, patience.

^^This is solid advice. It's hard to have patience when we want the weight to come off, but the less you have to lose, the slower it comes off.

Also, there is no need to "trick" your body or any of that stuff. The simple calorie deficit, and moderate exercise if you like, is all you need. I like the idea of walking..probably 85% of my workouts are just walking!
    Best of luck to you! :)
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Actually having a trainer tell you to increase is not unheard of. I have a good friend who is a trainer and she told me she has clients that she has recommended they increase calories slightly. Sometimes it's a slow metabolism and you need a few more calories to boost that matabolsm. I am 10 years younger than you 51 ... I feel a difference in my body like every 10 years it becomes a little harder to lose weight . I can't lose any weight on 1200 per day but when I eat good needed food calories at 1300-1400 that's perfect for me and I can lose about 1 pound a week.
    Another trick my friend taught me is to trick your body and try switching up calories every other day. Go 1300 one day and then try maybe 1400-1500 next day. Also fluctuating your carb intake every other days might work to.
    Sometimes it's trail and error until you find what works best

@daffyblessed Re: Slow metabolism... research that before you make any changes based on an assumption that yours is slow. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/expert-answers/slow-metabolism/faq-20058480