"Starvation Mode" - cue eye roll

Options
2»

Replies

• panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Hello, I did not read it as the Doctor was concerned about OP holding onto fat due to the mythical starvation mode, but was maybe instead concerned OP might lose to much weight. OP specifically said Dr doesn't agree with OPs goal of 20 more pounds. I cannot see OPs stats so I have no idea of 20 more pounds is still in healthy range or not, but just wanted to point out that the Dr, could have meant something different when referring to starvation mode.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    panda4153 wrote: »
    Hello, I did not read it as the Doctor was concerned about OP holding onto fat due to the mythical starvation mode, but was maybe instead concerned OP might lose to much weight. OP specifically said Dr doesn't agree with OPs goal of 20 more pounds. I cannot see OPs stats so I have no idea of 20 more pounds is still in healthy range or not, but just wanted to point out that the Dr, could have meant something different when referring to starvation mode.

No, he meant it the way everyone is taking it. His next words were something to the effect that I could damage my system if that happens. Hence the wanting to head smack him. His thing about disagreeing with me on the extra 20 is that it will put me on the lower half of the ideal weight category for my height (5'6" 118-154). My goal is 135. He thinks I should be fine at 150 which is close to the max for my height.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Tsartele wrote: »
    I would like to know why all the people incarcerated in concentration camps in WWII did not go into starvation mode..................just wondering.

Consult a doctor that specializes in weight issues.

I've been to Auschwitz in Poland and I can tell you that those people were starving. I not really sure what you meant by your comment but those people were human skeletons.

The "starvation mode" that's being referred to in this post is the myth that if you eat too little, you body magically holds onto fat, or that you gain weight.
    You're thinking of actual starvation, which is a different thing...

Agreed, starvation mode is a myth. I am kind of being sarcastic, trying to point out the myth of "starvation mode". Countless of the innocent victims would have maybe survived if they "hung on to their fat reserves". Starvation mode is ludicrous.

Sorry, when I was referring to "this post" in my earlier response, I should have clarified that I was talking about OP's original message board post, and not your point about the Holocaust victims. Sorry about that...I knew what you meant. :smile:
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    "Starvation mode" is not a "myth". If you do not give your body enough food for it to function (even at rest) it does go into "starvation mode" and starts feeding on itself. I have seen the results of this; have you seen an anorexic that looked healthy? Their muscles virtually go to mush, etc.

Yes, and I need to clarify my earlier response. "Starvation mode", as in the idea that the body clings to fat or that people even gain weight because they're eating too little, is a myth.

Actual starvation, like what anorexics and Holocaust victims suffered, and what you are describing, is not a myth. That type of starvation is real.