Options

Replies

• Simplifi
    Simplifi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    wonko221 wrote: »
    You should start by getting rid of water weight. Reduce salt and carbs and more importantly drink enough water. A rule of thumb is half your weight in ounces. For example if you weigh 200lbs you should drink 100 ounces of water a day. That will cause your body to release the water it stores up and will reduce not only your weight but also the bloating that can be in the form of a belly. Water is the most important factor.

Wrong solution for the wrong problem.

I don't think so... The immediate goal was for appearance and that will show the quickest results. Not only that water is how most fat leaves our body so increasing water intake is good all around.

Can you explain how water is the mechanism by which fat leaves our body?

Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body metabolize fat. Studies have shown that a decrease in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase, while an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits. Here's why: The kidneys can't function properly without enough water. When they don't work to capacity, some of their load is dumped onto the liver. One of the liver's primary functions is to metabolize stored fat into usable energy for the body. But, if the liver has to do some of the kidney's work, it can't operate at full throttle. As a result, it metabolizes less fat, more fat remains stored in the body and weight loss stops.

The bolded demonstrates the importance of staying properly hydrated (as in not dehydrated) but does not explain how that extra water intake beyond what it necessary for normal bodily functions to occur would somehow lead to greater fat loss.

"If you're dehydrated, your body doesn't function well" is a true statement.
    "If you're super hydrated, your body functions even better than normal" is not.

You will never function beyond ideal. I never stated that "if you're super hydrated, your body functions even better than normal." I simply said that increasing your water intake to become properly hydrated will help get rid of stored fat because of increased liver efficiency. Conversely not being properly hydrated can cause an increase in stored fat. It's simple biology.
  • Simplifi
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    There are many available on line... this research wasn't done just once. Search for abstracts. Decreasing your water intake causes your body to store more fat from your food. Plain and simple. Increasing it better metabolizes fat. It's all in the liver.
    It's not my burden to prove it. That's on you, so feel free to post the evidence when you find it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Do your own research, It's not my goal in life to make sure you are convinced.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    sonnie2016 wrote: »
    Does any one have tips on how to get rid of an obesse belly .....i keep fit but my belly wont shrink

Eat at a caloric deficit.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    You should start by getting rid of water weight. Reduce salt and carbs and more importantly drink enough water. A rule of thumb is half your weight in ounces. For example if you weigh 200lbs you should drink 100 ounces of water a day. That will cause your body to release the water it stores up and will reduce not only your weight but also the bloating that can be in the form of a belly. Water is the most important factor.

I don't think so... The immediate goal was for appearance and that will show the quickest results. Not only that water is how most fat leaves our body so increasing water intake is good all around.

Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body metabolize fat. Studies have shown that a decrease in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase, while an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits. Here's why: The kidneys can't function properly without enough water. When they don't work to capacity, some of their load is dumped onto the liver. One of the liver's primary functions is to metabolize stored fat into usable energy for the body. But, if the liver has to do some of the kidney's work, it can't operate at full throttle. As a result, it metabolizes less fat, more fat remains stored in the body and weight loss stops.

The bolded demonstrates the importance of staying properly hydrated (as in not dehydrated) but does not explain how that extra water intake beyond what it necessary for normal bodily functions to occur would somehow lead to greater fat loss.

You will never function beyond ideal. I never stated that "if you're super hydrated, your body functions even better than normal." I simply said that increasing your water intake to become properly hydrated will help get rid of stored fat because of increased liver efficiency. Conversely not being properly hydrated can cause an increase in stored fat. It's simple biology.

Then you're assuming that the OP is not properly hydrated. We have no information on which to base this assumption, thus the advice to "increase water intake and reduce salt" in order to lose the "obese belly" is baseless.

And you still haven't provided any real evidence for your claims.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    There are many available on line... this research wasn't done just once. Search for abstracts. Decreasing your water intake causes your body to store more fat from your food. Plain and simple. Increasing it better metabolizes fat. It's all in the liver.
    It's not my burden to prove it. That's on you, so feel free to post the evidence when you find it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's not his responsibility to prove you right. You made the claim. The burden of proof is on you.
  • rach_holla
    rach_holla Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I like this one... if you drop salt and carbs quickly you can loose a good amount of water weight. For me I find it really slims out my face and reduces bloat in my belly. I think everyone here can agree that its not a sustainable weight loss solutions - but that doesn't mean its a bad temporary solutions. You just have to be cognizant of the steps you take following and include many suggestions supported by other members. Quick drop of water weight can be very motivating.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    rach_holla wrote: »

I like this one... if you drop salt and carbs quickly you can loose a good amount of water weight. For me I find it really slims out my face and reduces bloat in my belly. I think everyone here can agree that its not a sustainable weight loss solutions - but that doesn't mean its a bad temporary solutions. You just have to be cognizant of the steps you take following and include many suggestions supported by other members. Quick drop of water weight can be very motivating.

The bolded is why it's not helpful advice.
  • Simplifi
    edited May 2016
    Options

Then you're assuming that the OP is not properly hydrated. We have no information on which to base this assumption, thus the advice to "increase water intake and reduce salt" in order to lose the "obese belly" is baseless.

No one here knows anything about the OP to give any advice including eat at caloric deficit. It was never stated that he is NOT eating at a deficit already. This is a forum of suggestions and the person can ultimately choose what ever path they like. I lost belly size from drinking more water. Stop policing posts.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So in other words we're just supposed to take your word on it? If what you state is correct, then providing legitimate evidence would be great because it's something that others on here could use.
    I'm all for learning new info as long as it's legit. I don't see this here based on lack of evidence.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• rach_holla
    rach_holla Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Alright, Carlos - you got me ;)
  • ninerbuff
    Options

But that has little to do with loss of belly fat. One could look slimmer wearing baggier than tighter clothing, but it doesn't reduce the fat that one has.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Carlos_421
    Options

1) No one here knows anything about the OP to give any advice including eat at caloric deficit. It was never stated that he is NOT eating at a deficit already. 2) This is a forum of suggestions and the person can ultimately choose what ever path they like. I lost belly size from drinking more water. 3) Stop policing posts.

1) Actually, we do know that if they aren't losing fat then they aren't eating at a caloric deficit. Besides, the advice in the posted link is much more exhaustive than that.
    2) And the suggestions should be helpful and based in fact. Telling people the answer to their fat belly problems is to just drink more water is not only unhelpful but could also be destructive when posted on a public forum where many unlearned people could see your post and say "Oh, drinking water makes me burn more fat so that's all I have to do." Thus, when I see these kinds of claims I am compelled to correct them so that beginners don't fall prey to misinformation.
    3) You're not the boss of me.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Alright, Carlos - you got me ;)

anigif_enhanced-15819-1403545979-10.gif
  • Simplifi
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So in other words we're just supposed to take your word on it? If what you state is correct, then providing legitimate evidence would be great because it's something that others on here could use.
    I'm all for learning new info as long as it's legit. I don't see this here based on lack of evidence.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Everyone should be drinking enough water anyway. This study shows that increased water consumption helped to eliminated fat. Quote: "Absolute and relative increases in drinking water were associated with decreases in body weight, waist circumference, and percent body fat "

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2008.409/full

Do your own research, I'm done with this conversation.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

1) Everyone should be drinking enough water anyway. 2) This study shows that increased water consumption helped to eliminated fat. Quote: "Absolute and relative increases in drinking water were associated with decreases in body weight, waist circumference, and percent body fat "

3) Do your own research, I'm done with this conversation.

1) That has nothing to do with the OP.

2) That study had virtually no controls and about trillion variables. The subjects self-reported and were on fad diets.
    Just reading through it I can't see how anyone could think there's any way to gather any useful information from it at all.

3) Peace
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Everyone should be drinking enough water anyway. This study shows that increased water consumption helped to eliminated fat. Quote: "Absolute and relative increases in drinking water were associated with decreases in body weight, waist circumference, and percent body fat "

Do your own research, I'm done with this conversation.
    Doesn't say "eliminates" fat. It states an "association" with weight loss and fat %.
    My own research and studying on the subject is pretty stout. That's initially why I questioned it in the first place.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

No one here knows anything about the OP to give any advice including eat at caloric deficit. It was never stated that he is NOT eating at a deficit already. This is a forum of suggestions and the person can ultimately choose what ever path they like. I lost belly size from drinking more water. Stop policing posts.

Nobody is "policing posts". They're calling out BS as BS, which is a good thing so people don't blindly believe somebody spouting a bunch of woo.

In regards to the first sentence in your post above - are you saying you don't believe that a caloric deficit is associated with fat loss?

To the OP - you can't spot reduce. Our fat gain/loss patterns are determined largely by our genetics and for many people, fat around the midsection is the last to go. Read the "so you want a nice stomach" thread which was linked several times and maintain a caloric deficit - it will eventually come off, but it may be the last place you lose it. If you're already adequately hydrated, there's no need to go guzzling water in hopes of it "flushing the fat" from your midsection.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options

We do know some basics about the OP. She is 23 years old, 5'5" and 11 Stone (154lbs).

Based on: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/l/blweightfemale.htm

We can tell that the OP is still over weight (pass the max range). NO amount of water will make that change. Eating a calorie deficit, to lose 20-30 lbs (which is what will probably be needed to see a flat belly... maybe a bit more) is going to be the only water. Yes, the OP should stay hydrated but it's nonsense to suggest than an overweight person would achieve a flat stomach by drinking water. We are over-complicating this for the OP and this back and forth is not going to help the OP any.

OP, lifting won't make you bulky, but it will help maintain your muscle. Muscle is what makes you lean and defined. Your genetics will determine your overall structure. You do need to eat in a deficit, but make sure it's not too aggressive as you want to minimize muscle loss. When you lose muscle, you are keeping fat and maintaining a higher body fat %.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I had a large beer gut for decades before I came to MFP. My son poked it and asked "when is it due". I started that day and ate at a deficit while increasing exercise. I worked up to about 30 miles of running a week and lost over 50 pounds. Beer gut was the last to go but go it did. It is also the first to come back if you slack up too.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Belly fat is a problem for me too. I lost it entirely for a while in my early 40s by getting down to a low %bf. I was also lifting weights and running and playing a lot of tennis. It's my guess that my fitness level was a factor even if just in posture. I'm 5'6' and it didn't disappear entirely until I was under 120lbs. I'm 144 currently (168 at my highest) and aiming for 135. In other words I'd rather live with a little belly fat than get down that low again (but I am 55 not 23).

Btw, thanks guys for the discussion of water. Absolutely it's about CICO, but as someone who hates having to rush off to the bathroom all the time, I had myself convinced that water had little to no impact on satiety/weight loss.