How am I NOT losing weight?!

Options

Replies

• rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Also, I cannot always go by the nutritional information on a food package. They are notoriously inaccurate. You have to weigh that food too! I have eaten a package of crackers before that said the entire package was 150 calories and 35 grams. However, when I weighed that package it was actually 48 grams! It is very easy to think you are eating that 150 calories when you are actually eating more like 205 calories. Little things like that add up quickly.
  • charlireah
    charlireah Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If it's just your shape that you're unhappy with, not your weight, have you considered using weight-training to do recomposition? A little bit of recomp can go a long way. :)

I haven't thought of that :) could you explain more? I would really appreciate it.
  • charlireah
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    Also, I cannot always go by the nutritional information on a food package. They are notoriously inaccurate. You have to weigh that food too! I have eaten a package of crackers before that said the entire package was 150 calories and 35 grams. However, when I weighed that package it was actually 48 grams! It is very easy to think you are eating that 150 calories when you are actually eating more like 205 calories. Little things like that add up quickly.

That's terrifying! I really can't weigh every single thing, it would definitely encourage unhealthy eating habit but thank you for that information
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but if you aren't losing weight you are not in a deficit. It's simple physics.

Tighten up your tracking and you will most likely find that you were underestimating how much you were eating. Humans are very bad at estimating how much we have eaten.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    charlireah wrote: »

That's terrifying! I really can't weigh every single thing, it would definitely encourage unhealthy eating habit but thank you for that information

How so? :huh:
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    If it's just your shape that you're unhappy with, not your weight, have you considered using weight-training to do recomposition? A little bit of recomp can go a long way. :)

I haven't thought of that :) could you explain more? I would really appreciate it.

I also recommend weight training. If you haven't done it before a lot of people recommend stronglifts 5X5 for beginners.

Also look up body recomposition.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I do this, and do not have any type of unhealthy eating habits. Do you have prior eating disorders, @charlireah?
  • charlireah
    Options

Do you have a history of disordered eating habits?

Yes. I do not have an eating disorder but have been very close to it so I must be wary. I am quite obsessive about losing these few pounds. I don't want to be underweight.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I just want to lose a couple of pounds and they are not.shifting. I don't know if it's because I'm already quite a healthy weight and very short but it's rather frustrating.

I've always hovered between 7st 10 and 7st 12 but I'm closer to 7st12 to 8st now and as specific as that sounds, I'd rather be lower than this due to my petite frame.
    I'm 5ft 2, with a BMI of 20 and I am aware that's healthy but I want to look a little leaner for my frame. I'm 24 years old.

I eat 1500 calories daily, I'm not rigourously strict with it but that's my target. I exercise via fast walking 5 days a week. I eat well. I'm vegetarian so my diet is good and I only drink sparkling water.

Can someone please explain why I simply cannot shift a few pounds? Thanks.

Could try upping protein & fat a little and decreasing carb intake to compensate for calories added. Sometimes a shift in macronutrients can move a stubborn pound or two...since you are vegetarian, I suspect you eat a diet somewhat higher in carbs(?) Also, someone mentioned to me that calculating tdee using one of the online calculators might be useful in determining optimal calories for safe weight loss. For your height, perhaps 1400 calories would be safe and help you accomplish your goals. Good Luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I just want to lose a couple of pounds and they are not.shifting. I don't know if it's because I'm already quite a healthy weight and very short but it's rather frustrating.

I've always hovered between 7st 10 and 7st 12 but I'm closer to 7st12 to 8st now and as specific as that sounds, I'd rather be lower than this due to my petite frame.
    I'm 5ft 2, with a BMI of 20 and I am aware that's healthy but I want to look a little leaner for my frame. I'm 24 years old.

I eat 1500 calories daily, I'm not rigourously strict with it but that's my target. I exercise via fast walking 5 days a week. I eat well. I'm vegetarian so my diet is good and I only drink sparkling water.

Can someone please explain why I simply cannot shift a few pounds? Thanks.

Could try upping protein & fat a little and decreasing carb intake to compensate for calories added. Sometimes a shift in macronutrients can move a stubborn pound or two...

Decreasing carbs will just lead to losing a bit of water weight not fat?
  • charlireah
    Options
    Jams009 wrote: »
    Sorry, but if you aren't losing weight you are not in a deficit. It's simple physics.

Tighten up your tracking and you will most likely find that you were underestimating how much you were eating. Humans are very bad at estimating how much we have eaten.

Thank you for that. I might up my exercise. I can't be too strict with my food counting asit has promoted unhealthy eating in the past. Thanks though.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Yes. I do not have an eating disorder but have been very close to it so I must be wary. I am quite obsessive about losing these few pounds. I don't want to be underweight.

You definitely want to ditch the scales and look at recomp then
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

There are double standards in OP's responses. I am a bit confused now and wondering the same..

If you want to loose weight and need to know that you are consuming what you think you are consuming, you must weight ALL the food!

Don't eat back exercise calories??? Means eating more food than what is being logged!

BTW weighing food does not promote unhealthy habits, it promotes weight loss!!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    OP, lots of us weigh our portions without becoming obsessive or developing a disorder. But if for whatever reason you aren't willing to be more strict, then you either need to aim for a lower calorie total, or exercise more. If you aren't losing weight, that means you are consuming the same amount of calories you are burning, so you either need to consume less or burn more.

It isn't hopeless, but it is difficult and requires patience and discipline. As someone else mentioned, you might want to consider a heavy lifting program. It might make you happier with your shape & body composition without losing lbs. Good luck!
  • charlireah
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, lots of us weigh our portions without becoming obsessive or developing a disorder. But if for whatever reason you aren't willing to be more strict, then you either need to aim for a lower calorie total, or exercise more. If you aren't losing weight, that means you are consuming the same amount of calories you are burning, so you either need to consume less or burn more.

It isn't hopeless, but it is difficult and requires patience and discipline. As someone else mentioned, you might want to consider a heavy lifting program. It might make you happier with your shape & body composition without losing lbs. Good luck!

Thank you.for that, I will try that! I have been prone to an eating disorder in the past, I simply cannot risk going down that path again by weighing my foods meticulously but thank you.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I didn't see a mention of how you count your calories. Do you weigh all your solid and semi solid food with a food scale? Also, how do you estimate the exercise calories? Do you eat those back?

Also...since you have so little to lose, the weight is going to come off much slower. Have you lost any weight since you've been calorie counting?

Instead of losing weight, you may want to try and eat at maintenance and lift very heavy with a progressive heavy lifting program such as stronglifts 5x5 or strongcurves instead of walking.

Some things can mask weight loss such as the time of the month and high sodium.

I never take the calories off the exercise I do. I just eat 1500 no matter how much I've exercised and don't compensate for it. I also use the packages to know what calories I'm consuming, I rarely estimate. I don't weigh good usually because it's already been done. Pasta and. cereal are so I estimate.

Pasta and cereal are very easy to overeat if you just estimate. The first time I weighed a serving of pasta I was shocked by how much smaller a true serving was vs what I thought it was.
    If you don't want to weigh your food, though, then perhaps just try a bit more exercise, or eating a little less throughout the day (one less snack, for example, or a little less cereal...something that will decrease your calorie intake a little.)
    Best of luck!
  • himilayaneyes
    himilayaneyes Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Track everything with a food scale. Lift heavy weights. Don't worry about the number on the scale...go by body fat %, tape measure, how your clothes fit, etc.