Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    charlireah wrote: »
    ayeshiad wrote: »
    this may have been mentioned..my 2 cents is to make sure you are eating snacks in between meals with 2-3oz protein, you are drinking adequate water and to implement weight training with yoga.

Hi.I rarely snack but I try to eat as much protein as possible. If I do snack, it's nuts, fruit and the occasional bag of crisps (oops) i drink 1-2 litres of water a day

OP, ignore that post, it will be deleted as advertising shortly. And whether or not you snack is personal preference, you don't have to eat on a specific schedule to lose weight.

I just also wanted to warn you that not everyone reads the whole thread before they post, so you will probably continue to get some responses that haven't read far enough down to see where you mentioned a disorder in your past. They aren't willfully ignoring it, so don't sweat it :)
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    How is eating less than 1500 calories a day dangerous, especially for someone who is 5'2"?
  • charlireah
    charlireah Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    Jams009 wrote: »
    You're eating more than you think.

I'm really not. I'm very strict.

But you can't be sure if you're not weighing everything, all the time. I'm sorry if it's disappointing but that is indeed the answer. You sound active, which is great, but fat loss happens with a caloric deficit.

Take a week and measure everything, even packaged food. I can't tell you how many times I have been surprised when I weigh a packaged item. It's a small example, but just last night I weighed my tortilla from the package. 70g was a serving and the tortilla was 75g. I removed 5g of edge piece before eating it. It takes one minute, and doing this for all packaged food saves me plenty of excess calories. I didn't do the math to figure out how many calories were in that extra 5g but I'm absolutely positive that if all food is off by even a small amount it would add up and could definitely wipe out any small deficit you have.

This is especially important because you don't have a lot of excess fat, your body needs fewer calories also because of your small frame. Don't get all angry and reject good advise just because you are being shown a mistake! I kind of did the other day, I wanted to give up because someone told me I wasn't losing at the expected rate because my fitbit lies to me. I was irrationally angry, but that person was probably right and now I'm just focusing on the MFP numbers and lowering my exercise estimate because it's seeming to hold me back.

Give it a try at least, I bet you'll find success in a few weeks.

I didn't get angry or reject gold advice. I had an eating disorder in the past and absolutely cannot weigh food and risk going back to that state. Thanks for your information however.I will have to increase my exercise and hope this helps.
  • charlireah
    Options
    to get the results you want, you have to put the effort in, you cant expect to get more by doing the exact same thing you've always done... that would be like me, binge eating myself to 300lbs and wondering why im not just getting skinny doing the same thing i always do. cant lose if you dont put the effort in.

I'm aware of that, that's why I'm asking for advice???

youre getting great advice and shooting it down.
    good luck.

Have you not read what I've been saying about my eating disorder? Thank you for wishing me luck, I am very keen on trying more exercise but I cannot weigh food.
  • charlireah
    Options
    How is eating less than 1500 calories a day dangerous, especially for someone who is 5'2"?

Well they say the average amount a woman should consume is 2000 calories and eating 1200 surely won't give you all the nutrients your body needs?
  • charlireah
    Options

But you can't be sure if you're not weighing everything, all the time. I'm sorry if it's disappointing but that is indeed the answer. You sound active, which is great, but fat loss happens with a caloric deficit.

Take a week and measure everything, even packaged food. I can't tell you how many times I have been surprised when I weigh a packaged item. It's a small example, but just last night I weighed my tortilla from the package. 70g was a serving and the tortilla was 75g. I removed 5g of edge piece before eating it. It takes one minute, and doing this for all packaged food saves me plenty of excess calories. I didn't do the math to figure out how many calories were in that extra 5g but I'm absolutely positive that if all food is off by even a small amount it would add up and could definitely wipe out any small deficit you have.

This is especially important because you don't have a lot of excess fat, your body needs fewer calories also because of your small frame. Don't get all angry and reject good advise just because you are being shown a mistake! I kind of did the other day, I wanted to give up because someone told me I wasn't losing at the expected rate because my fitbit lies to me. I was irrationally angry, but that person was probably right and now I'm just focusing on the MFP numbers and lowering my exercise estimate because it's seeming to hold me back.

I didn't get angry or reject gold advice. I had an eating disorder in the past and absolutely cannot weigh food and risk going back to that state. Thanks for your information however.I will have to increase my exercise and hope this helps.

To be honest it sounds like you need to speak to someone about your obsession with numbers on the scales as a priority rather than trying to lose weight or anything else.

I already am. I am receiving minor therapy for the issue but thank you
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

To be honest it sounds like you need to speak to someone about your obsession with numbers on the scales as a priority rather than trying to lose weight or anything else.

And have they supported you being on a calorie counting website or trying to lose weight?
  • shed77f
    shed77f Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    A total of 1200 calories can be perfectly healthy to lose for some, particularly shorter girls who are very sedentary.

That being said, from everything you've told us on this thread I wouldn't suggest this to you. Recomp is definitely the way to go. I think it's also help getting your focus off the scale, as you'll get leaner but weigh same / more. Takes some getting used to I'd think but we don't wear our weight on a sign round our necks!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, lots of us weigh our portions without becoming obsessive or developing a disorder. But if for whatever reason you aren't willing to be more strict, then you either need to aim for a lower calorie total, or exercise more. If you aren't losing weight, that means you are consuming the same amount of calories you are burning, so you either need to consume less or burn more.

It isn't hopeless, but it is difficult and requires patience and discipline. As someone else mentioned, you might want to consider a heavy lifting program. It might make you happier with your shape & body composition without losing lbs. Good luck!

Thank you.for that, I will try that! I have been prone to an eating disorder in the past, I simply cannot risk going down that path again by weighing my foods meticulously but thank you.

What I do if I'm not weighing food is go with a smaller portion.

Say your cereal says a serving is 1/3 cup. Make an effort to leave part of the cup empty. Don't fill all the way to the top.

That may be enough to offset inaccuracies :)

~Lyssa

And it may not. You might think you're overestimating but you're really underestimating. Let me tell you, I would find that much more "obsessive" to be worrying about that than to just know what I'm eating. And if you're actually overestimating, then you are not eating what you think you are, and may be hungry, may find it harder to keep your nutrients, etc.

I felt like the scale *freed* me from obsession because I understood exactly what I was eating and no longer had to worry about whether or not my "medium" apple was really a "large" apple. Not saying that is OP's situation, but for some of us, the scale is a useful tool even with a history of disordered eating.

Should have mentioned this, but I generally feel the same. I prefer to weigh my food so I know how much I'm eating, and I do have some history with less-than-healthy habits. Being more confident in the accuracy of my log has been very beneficial to me - and I'm much more aware of portion sizes now, too.

~Lyssa
  • Bella77007
    Bella77007 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    OP have you spoken to your doctor recently? You say yourself you have a history with an eating disorder and I am wondering if you are still suffering because you have this obsession with being 2-4 pounds lighter and I honestly can't see from a logical point of view what difference that would truly make.

I understand why people want to sculpt and shape their bodies, why people have goals etc but if weight is the goal most settle on a range at which they are satisfied to allow for normal fluctuations and that range is typically wider than 2-4 pounds.

I am 5 ft 1.4 and weigh 7 stone 4 at the moment but would not be upset if I went up a little, typically I weigh 7 stone 7 but am happy a few pounds either side of that, I'm lower at the moment because I have recently got into exercise more and I am tweaking calories to maintain but next week is my daughter's birthday, will I gain a little? Maybe but not a whole lot so it doesn't matter.

I have to be honest here, your fixation on that scale number is concerning for someone who is already at a healthy weight, not trying to diagnose you or anything but I do think it's a bit worrying with your history.

Also to lose weight at this point does require a very tight restriction, I know that for me I need to take myself into the high activity level with exercise but eat sedentary maintenence calorie level to see loss,I didn't even mean to lose more, I just underestimated what the extra activity would do.

I would honestly speak to your doctor, I think you could do with some guidance from a proffessional with this.
  • charlireah
    Options

And have they supported you being on a calorie counting website or trying to lose weight?

It really isn't your place to ask that question. I'm not on this forum to be investigated, I'm just asking for advice and have stated that weighing food is not an option due to past issues. I am very aware of what I am doing.
  • charlireah
    Options

I think that's true. If you're as obsessive as you say you are (and not just feeling that weighing sounds like too much work), then you don't want to be replacing one obsession for another.

Nah I don't mind doing the work for it. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

It really isn't your place to ask that question. I'm not on this forum to be investigated, I'm just asking for advice and have stated that weighing food is not an option due to past issues. I am very aware of what I am doing.

You're asking for potentially harmful advice because you admitted up thread that you're 'obsessed' with a number on the scale.
  • charlireah
    Options
    Bella77007 wrote: »
    OP have you spoken to your doctor recently? You say yourself you have a history with an eating disorder and I am wondering if you are still suffering because you have this obsession with being 2-4 pounds lighter and I honestly can't see from a logical point of view what difference that would truly make.

I understand why people want to sculpt and shape their bodies, why people have goals etc but if weight is the goal most settle on a range at which they are satisfied to allow for normal fluctuations and that range is typically wider than 2-4 pounds.

I am 5 ft 1.4 and weigh 7 stone 4 at the moment but would not be upset if I went up a little, typically I weigh 7 stone 7 but am happy a few pounds either side of that, I'm lower at the moment because I have recently got into exercise more and I am tweaking calories to maintain but next week is my daughter's birthday, will I gain a little? Maybe but not a whole lot so it doesn't matter.

I have to be honest here, your fixation on that scale number is concerning for someone who is already at a healthy weight, not trying to diagnose you or anything but I do think it's a bit worrying with your history.

Also to lose weight at this point does require a very tight restriction, I know that for me I need to take myself into the high activity level with exercise but eat sedentary maintenence calorie level to see loss,I didn't even mean to lose more, I just underestimated what the extra activity would do.

I would honestly speak to your doctor, I think you could do with some guidance from a proffessional with this.

I am already doing this but thank you for your concern. I will definitely go into exercise as I don't want to eat fewer calories.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

Well they say the average amount a woman should consume is 2000 calories and eating 1200 surely won't give you all the nutrients your body needs?

An average size woman may well be able to eat around 2000 cal per day and maintain a healthy weight. But you are smaller than average (about 3 inches shorter) and you want to lose weight, so yeah you are going to need to eat less than that. Since you don't weigh everything (and I understand why you don't, but the fact is you don't, whatever the reason) you may well be eating more than you the you are. By shooting for 1500 you may actually be getting quite a bit more than that; shooting for less (assuming you don't suddenly get worse at eyeballing food) could help with that.

Many shorter women have to eat 1200 per day to lose weight. And that's even with weighing and measuring. 1200 is considered a minimum in order to get all the nutrients you need. 1500 is the minimum men should eat to ensure adequate nutrition. If 1200 scares you, start by lowering your target to 1400 and see how it goes.

• charlireah
    Options

It's absolutely our business--If you are suffering from a mental illness, I'm not going to give someone advice on how to further hurt themselves.

No it isn't. I do not have a mental illness so please calm yourself. I have been close to an eating disorder in the past, this was clearly stated earlier. I do not have an eating disorder currently and receiving minor therapy to sustain this (and I didn't have to tell you that either). it's rude to make assumptions about someone wanting to hurt themselves. I love my body, I just want to be leaner as I'm so short.
  • charlireah
    Options
    shed77f wrote: »
    A total of 1200 calories can be perfectly healthy to lose for some, particularly shorter girls who are very sedentary.

That being said, from everything you've told us on this thread I wouldn't suggest this to you. Recomp is definitely the way to go. I think it's also help getting your focus off the scale, as you'll get leaner but weigh same / more. Takes some getting used to I'd think but we don't wear our weight on a sign round our necks!

That's very interesting thank you for that! It's clear there's a lot about this I didn't know :)
  • charlireah
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

An average size woman may well be able to eat around 2000 cal per day and maintain a healthy weight. But you are smaller than average (about 3 inches shorter) and you want to lose weight, so yeah you are going to need to eat less than that. Since you don't weigh everything (and I understand why you don't, but the fact is you don't, whatever the reason) you may well be eating more than you the you are. By shooting for 1500 you may actually be getting quite a bit more than that; shooting for less (assuming you don't suddenly get worse at eyeballing food) could help with that.

Many shorter women have to eat 1200 per day to lose weight. And that's even with weighing and measuring. 1200 is considered a minimum in order to get all the nutrients you need. 1500 is the minimum men should eat to ensure adequate nutrition. If 1200 scares you, start by lowering your target to 1400 and see how it goes.

Thank you! I didn't know that :)
  • charlireah
    Options

You're asking for potentially harmful advice because you admitted up thread that you're 'obsessed' with a number on the scale.

I am obsessed. Not to the point where I am starving myself, checking my weight daily or beating myself up about it anymore. It's a form of control I suppose, so I am trying to remove the scales and look at exercise instead. It's difficult when "7st12" has been staring at me for so long! I want to have a healthy frame of mind with this, that is my goal.