how to lose 10lbs/month

Options
Is this a good plan to lose 8-12lbs/month?
Walking 3-5 times/week for an hour,
Eating whole foods or less processed foods,
Strength training about 1-2times/week &
Calories around 1500 minimal
Height -5'9"
Weight-205

Replies

• kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    8-12 pounds per month is probably a bit fast. You should aim for 1-2 pounds per week. Initially you'll have a pretty significant loss, then it will slow down to a pound or two per week.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Just do it and see what happens. You never know :)
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I lost 8lb a month (2lb a week) by walking 30-50 mins 5 days a week and eating healthy. Calories at 1200-1400 a day.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    For me what is working is low carb and strength training workouts combined with cardio workouts 4 days a week
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    my workouts are about 78 minutes when I workout.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1570. Strength and cardio 4 times a week. I currently weigh more than you and am averaging 3lbs every 2 weeks. I don't doubt you can achieve your goal loss in the beginning but its hard to maintain. Oh and just between us obese gals... the faster you lose, the looser your skin gets. Superficial I know, but worth thinking about.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    kmbrooks15 wrote: »
    8-12 pounds per month is probably a bit fast. You should aim for 1-2 pounds per week. Initially you'll have a pretty significant loss, then it will slow down to a pound or two per week.

This^

Larger people lose faster because they use more calories than smaller people....for doing everything from just being....to exercise. Smaller people can only cut back calories so much, so weight loss will slow down eventually.

Your plan includes both cardio & strength workouts.....smart.
  • moniquebravo1011
    moniquebravo1011 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1570. Strength and cardio 4 times a week. I currently weigh more than you and am averaging 3lbs every 2 weeks. I don't doubt you can achieve your goal loss in the beginning but its hard to maintain. Oh and just between us obese gals... the faster you lose, the looser your skin gets. Superficial I know, but worth thinking about.

Yes I have considered loose skin but hoping that drinking nutrient dense green smoothies and moisturizing my skin daily with natural oils will reduce that.

• moniquebravo1011
    Options
    I lost 8lb a month (2lb a week) by walking 30-50 mins 5 days a week and eating healthy. Calories at 1200-1400 a day.

That is awesome! How much did you lose in total
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    You cannot escape the laws of physics and you must do the math. Use the MFP calculator to give you a 2lb/week loss calorie level for your current weight and activity level. Log your exercise and intake. Manage your net calories to achieve the loss per week rate. Going faster is reckless and probably leads to binge eating. You have to find that happy medium place that allows you to be in calorie deficit without going insane from hunger and eating a gallon of ice cream in the supermarket aisle. Keep drinking water, it facilitates your body's flushing mechanism as you shrink your fat cells--and, thirst sometime disguises itself as a hunger sensation.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Height -5'9"
    Weight-205
    Not enough info but losing more than one pound per week is a recipe for burnout. I would surely not recommend more than two pounds per week. Judging from your post you may need to do some reading. Whole food/processed food will have nothing to do with attaining your goal.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Yes I have considered loose skin but hoping that drinking nutrient dense green smoothies and moisturizing my skin daily with natural oils will reduce that.

theres no proof that these things work for that. if you lose the weight fast you can end up with lose skin no matter what you do, it has to do with genetics, elasticity in the skin and so on,
  • moniquebravo1011
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Height -5'9"
    Weight-205
    Not enough info but losing more than one pound per week is a recipe for burnout. I would surely not recommend more than two pounds per week. Judging from your post you may need to do some reading. Whole food/processed food will have nothing to do with attaining your goal.

Well eating less processed food has helped me in the past. The type of diet one has, has a lot to do with weight loss
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Height -5'9"
    Weight-205

Well eating less processed food has helped me in the past. The type of diet one has, has a lot to do with weight loss

If by type of diet you mean eating less than you burn, then I agree. If you mean what you eat, nope.

Weight loss = calories consumed are less than your calories burned (not just exercise, but your total burn...the calories you burn just by breathing, heart pumping, ect + daily activity + exercise)
    Health = what you eat

<- lost a little over 130 lbs by only paying attention to calories and protein (to prevent muscle loss along with a small deficit and strength training)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You probably don't have that much to lose. I'd aim for 4 pounds a month top.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Height -5'9"
    Weight-205

Eating a deficit is what has a lot to do with weight loss. If eating less processed foods is what gets you there, go for it! :smile:
    I don't think 2lb/week is a fantastic goal with current weight loss goals - maybe .5/1lb a week would be a better goal for success.
  • moniquebravo1011
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    Height -5'9"
    Weight-205

Eating a deficit is what has a lot to do with weight loss. If eating less processed foods is what gets you there, go for it! :smile:
    I don't think 2lb/week is a fantastic goal with current weight loss goals - maybe .5/1lb a week would be a better goal for success.

Yes I guess its best to set more realistic goals.
  • moniquebravo1011
    Options
    Height -5'9"
    Weight-205

If by type of diet you mean eating less than you burn, then I agree. If you mean what you eat, nope.

Weight loss = calories consumed are less than your calories burned (not just exercise, but your total burn...the calories you burn just by breathing, heart pumping, ect + daily activity + exercise)
    Health = what you eat

<- lost a little over 130 lbs by only paying attention to calories and protein (to prevent muscle loss along with a small deficit and strength training)

Thats awesome!
  • moniquebravo1011
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You probably don't have that much to lose. I'd aim for 4 pounds a month top.

I have about 35-50 lbs to lose.