Are you ever embarrased?

Options
13»

Replies

• amanda_deanne
    amanda_deanne Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    jen_bush wrote: »
    I tell people how much I lose, but never how much I weigh... my boyfriend only found out the other day after a year of us living together. It's nobody's business after all :)

My husband doesn't even know my weight. He's seen me give birth twice, but he's never seen the number on the scale. He knows when I gain or lose and how much, but I agree it's no one's business. And he's never asked.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    The first time I participated in a MFP group challenge and had to put down my weight was huge hurdle to do. To people I don't really know I'll say how much I lost, but not how much I weigh now.
  • Smile72
    Smile72 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't feel embarrassed. I'm just selective on who I disclose my weight loss success to. I'm a w.i.p (work in progress); with that said, I've seen the scale go up and down along this journey and only I am accountable for it. I know who my true supporters are as for all others, thanks for the compliments, but no need for me to go in to extensive details. Not every one celebrates another person's success.
  • KevFit413
    KevFit413 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is for you, not for them. I wouldn't be embarrassed about that, no matter how many pounds. Each pound you lost was a result of hard work and dedication. Be proud of what you've done.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    When I first started to lose weight, I was too embarrassed to admit to ANYONE how heavy I was. My husband didn't know, nor did anyone in my family. I was too embarrassed to admit how much I needed to lose at that point.

However, now I have lost 65% of what I call my "excess baggage" I am more than happy to talk about what I used to weigh and what I've lost. Including my family. I don't tell anyone how much more I have to go as that's my business. I am very proud of my achievements as far as a healthier lifestyle goes and will happily discuss the changes I have made with anyone who is interested. It does make me sad though, that they all expect me to come up with some miracle weight-loss scheme - the minute I mention "eat less, move more" the eyes usually glaze over . . . :/
  • caguitare
    caguitare Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have been committed to getting the weight off since the new year but have to admit I am wavering trying to stay on track and looking to grow my MFP buddy list so if anyone is looking to have and to give a little motivation please friend me!
  • LORRIE22
    LORRIE22 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I lose weight 1 year at a time. I start a new diet every January 1. I set a goal for December 31. Last year I lost 35 pounds. The year before it was a 20 pound loss. When I told all my chubby friends.... they ALL abandoned me. One sent me very nasty text messages... LOL ... DIET is a 4 letter word to them.

So I joined a couple of social clubs right away and made a slew of new and thinner friends within a week. I haven't told any of them about my former weight loss. So far this year I have lost 6 pounds... but I tell all my new friends I have lost 6 pounds in the last 4 months. Everyone is so very unimpressed! LOL! They don't think 6 pounds is worth talking about!

By the end of the year the number will be 20 to 35 pounds. And I'll be another size smaller. That will get their attention.. And I like my new friends much better. They are all positive and outgoing. Not like the Negative Nellies I was friends with over the last few years.

I'll never mention my total weight loss to anyone. It's no ones business but mine. But I do tell them I will be dieting for the next 2 years....and I've lost 6 pounds so far this year.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you need to tell someone how much you have lost if you don't want to?

Once I was fit/in a healthy weight range I started not caring at all about the numbers. More people know how much I weight and have lost than I ever expected to know. I started dating again (like yesterday) and the guy asked for my Instagram account. I was a little nervous because he saw all my progress photos on there....weight loss, specific weights on certain days, tummy progress pics. But I have nothing to apologize for and he was nothing but sweet.
  • KrissaJane92
    KrissaJane92 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was more shocked when I realized I used to be 375. I lost 70 pounds and look different. But now, my self esteem is climbing!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There is no need to tell people anything you're not comfortable saying.
    You also have good insight that weight management is an area many of us will always have to give special attention to.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I have found that telling people how much I've lost and how easy it has been with mfp has led to them deciding to lose weight by joining mfp. Embarrassed? No. It's a unique pleasure to have a really gorgeous young lady thank me for inspiring her to reach for her goal with purpose and patience.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have a strange question. I've lost 178 lbs since December 2014. I still have about 75 more to go but I know I'll get there. For the first time in my life, I'm doing this for ME and that is what has made a difference. But, that being said, I'm embarrassed to admit to people the exact amount of weight I've lost and still need to lose. My dh knows as do a few other close friends but does anyone else have the same feelings?

Why tell people. It's none of their business.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!