C25k week 5 day 3 dilemma

Options
ssakcik
ssakcik Posts: 121 Member
Posted this in the c25k group but didn't get any replies do hope I don't get into trouble for double posting.
I did week 5 day 2 yesterday (x2 8 min intevals)... Tomorrow is a 20 min (no intevals) run. I managed the 8 min intervals yesterday (just lol) and am contemplating what to do tomorrow... Do I give day 3 a go and if need be walk in between and then move onto week 6 or do I give day 2 a few more attempts?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Go for it!
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Seize the bull by the horns. You already know you can do the 8 minute intervals. See how far you can get into the 20. If you have to walk a bit, not that big a deal, but since you know you can already do day 2, try to progress beyond it. Good luck! I've been customizing my own runs around week 5-ish and just run as far as I can and walk as little as I can.
  • noor_v
    noor_v Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Try it... and you may surprise yourself!! If you find getting out of breath, just slow down a little.

Also, I recommend repeating weeks until you're comfortable moving on. That's what I did - the last few weeks I repeated once or twice, but in the end I finished the C25K program and started running 10-12 miles/week.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Try it and if you fail, repeat the week until you can do it.

Yep. It's a mental thing. Try it. Run slow. If you can't finish repeat.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Try it. This is where a lot of people come into a shock. It might be a good one though. If you jog for 20 minutes when you thought you could only do 8 it feels incredible. Don't be afraid to repeat weeks on c25k. I did that often while using it.
  • ssakcik
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Week 1 day 1 and 2 I couldn't even run for 60 seconds. Those two days were the only 2 days I didn't follow the programme as I simply couldn't. I feel amazed that in 5 weeks I've come this far. Going from thinking that 1 min was long, 3 minutes were long, 5 minutes were too long.. And then being able to run for 8 minutes...

I'm gonna give the 20 mins a go... Like some of you said, I might surprise myself and actually manage it. And if I manage 10 mins that's still more than yesterday.

Week 6 day 1 looks easier than the 20 mins so I'll see how I get on and go from there.

Thanks
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    ssakcik wrote: »
    Posted this in the c25k group but didn't get any replies do hope I don't get into trouble for double posting.
    I did week 5 day 2 yesterday (x2 8 min intevals)... Tomorrow is a 20 min (no intevals) run. I managed the 8 min intervals yesterday (just lol) and am contemplating what to do tomorrow... Do I give day 3 a go and if need be walk in between and then move onto week 6 or do I give day 2 a few more attempts?

Stick to the program!

I was just there, two weeks ago. Completed 5/2, looking nervously at 5/3. Didn't expect i could do it, but damned if i didn't get it done on the first try.

There is no shame in trying Day 3 and finding that you need to repeat it to succeed. Heck, if this wasn't challenging, it wouldn't lead to improvement, right?

But there is some harm in choosing not to challenge yourself because of anxiety/fear.

So get out there tomorrow and try Day 3. Give it your best shot. And when you're done, give yourself credit, success, or victory, and either move on, or repeat that day as needed.

Also... good job for getting this far. YOU KICK BUTT!
  • ssakcik
    Options
    Thank you!! @wonko221 you're totally right. I won't let fear stand in the way! Thank you!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I was shocked when I could run 20 min nonstop! I thought they were crazy to go from 8 min to 20 min. It was very doable for me, then I got bored going back to the shorter intervals in week 6!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Do I give day 3 a go

Yes

Running is 80% mental.
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't look at the weeks program, just let the lady tell me what to do lol, When she said 20mins I laughed but I just went at a slower than normal pace and I got through it. Such an amazing feeling - you can do it too!
  • ssakcik
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies... I'm gonna keep going for as far as I can :)
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You've got this!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I don't look at the weeks program, just let the lady tell me what to do lol, When she said 20mins I laughed but I just went at a slower than normal pace and I got through it. Such an amazing feeling - you can do it too!

this is the trick. Go slower. It's better to go slower and build endurance than to try and do something you then get to fail at. Go for the 20, slow it down. If you feel you are getting tired, slow it down some more. Keep your steps small and go slow.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Feels great, doesn't it :)
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    this is fab - ive just downloaded the app to begin this tomorrow - im very excited. im not a beginner to running but i cannot do it without stopping, well done you!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I just did it!!! I just ran for 20 mins!! Okay so a snail could have overtaken me and it was nowhere near my abnormal pace but who cares? I just ran for 20 mins!!! 5 weeks ago I only managed 50 seconds! Thank you all for your advise and encouragement! Today's lesson... Trust in yourself and the programme!

Congrats!! :)