C25k week 5 day 3 dilemma

Options

Replies

• ssakcik
    ssakcik Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
    @leahcollett1 I love it... I was a complete novise 5 weeks ago and now I can run for 20 mins... I love c25k
  • bestrong66
    bestrong66 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For treadmill trainers on c25k. What pace do you consider "normal" and what pace so you consider slow? @ssakicik I am so glad you asked this question and received such and amazing response. I have been letting the same fear stop me at week 4. I will continue to challenge myself and push. You have inspired me. :smiley:
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    ssakcik wrote: »
    I just did it!!! I just ran for 20 mins!! Okay so a snail could have overtaken me and it was nowhere near my abnormal pace but who cares? I just ran for 20 mins!!! 5 weeks ago I only managed 50 seconds! Thank you all for your advise and encouragement! Today's lesson... Trust in yourself and the programme!

Yep. You DO kick butt! Congratulations, runner!
    bestrong66 wrote: »
    For treadmill trainers on c25k. What pace do you consider "normal" and what pace so you consider slow? @ssakicik I am so glad you asked this question and received such and amazing response. I have been letting the same fear stop me at week 4. I will continue to challenge myself and push. You have inspired me. :smiley:

The pace will depend entirely on your own condition. You want to be in a running form, instead of walking, and going slowly enough that you could maintain a conversation of brief sentences without gasping for air.

Rule of thumb when starting - if you COULD go slower and still be running, go slower.

As you get comfortable, push the pace up just a little, no more than 10%. So if you're jogging comfortably at 3 MPH and are ready to push it a bit, go up anywhere from 3.1 - 3.3 MPH and see how that feels.

Watch for the "talking while running" guide as a test of how hard you're pushing your cardio. Also pay attention to your joints and shins - even if you're breathing fine, if you are hurting your ankles, legs, or knees you may be pushing harder than your body is ready for, or you may have poor running form.

• wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    this is fab - ive just downloaded the app to begin this tomorrow - im very excited. im not a beginner to running but i cannot do it without stopping, well done you!

Congratulation on taking this first step!

I was a complete beginning, and couldn't go more than 100 feet without wanting to collapse in the grass and gulp air. Now, 7 weeks later, i've run/walked my first 5k and signed up for another in a couple weeks, and i can maintain a run for 25 minutes as part of the c25k program.
  • ssakcik
    Options
    @bestrong66. Thank you that really sweet of you to say that.
  • ssakcik
    Options
    @wonko221. Thank you
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

I think that varies from person to person, but when I did week 5 on a treadmill I set myself at 4.5mph. I'm a 5 to 5.5mph on average off the treadmill. I'm just slower on a treadmill. I also had a zero fitness level when I started so 4.5mph for 20 minutes felt like I was freakin Usain Bolt. lol
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options

Definitely depends on the person, but when I did it, I targeted anywhere from a 5.2-5.8 pace for running, and a 3.5 pace for walking.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I just did it!!! I just ran for 20 mins!! Okay so a snail could have overtaken me and it was nowhere near my abnormal pace but who cares? I just ran for 20 mins!!! 5 weeks ago I only managed 50 seconds! Thank you all for your advise and encouragement! Today's lesson... Trust in yourself and the programme!
    I remember thinking there was no way I was going to be able to do week 5, day 3 - run for 20 minutes?? But I went for it, and I DID it, and I felt like Wonder Woman. :smiley: You never know what you can do until you try! Glad you did - way to go!

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    I remember thinking there was no way I was going to be able to do week 5, day 3 - run for 20 minutes?? But I went for it, and I DID it, and I felt like Wonder Woman. :smiley: You never know what you can do until you try! Glad you did - way to go!

Agreed...I was going to post i remember being exactly here...not sure if I could do it (last year) and I did it...

Awesome feeling to know you can do it...I bet you won't considering not doing the next step again.

Congrats.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I am on week 4 (going to do my day 3 run in a bit) so was SO glad to read the update that you did it!!! That's amazing!! I glanced at what week 5 is like and it scared me. lol eeek!

Keep the faith, right? :)

Well done!!!
  • ssakcik
    Options
    Thank you.. Yes, it's all about trusting
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i have been hovering around the 3-4 point for so long, i'm so proud of you! and inspired to take it to the next level now!
  • ssakcik
    Options
    Thank you
  • Kazoarte
    Kazoarte Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    c25k is literally the only real thing I've been doing and I am currently on week 9 day 2.
    I will say it truly never gets easier, but as you keep up and force yourself you will be surprised what you end up doing. Every week I cried it would be harder, its scary and it is! IF you stay true to it and pay attention to music/breathing. The cardio will carry you in. I never believed in the "Runners high" till Week 5 day 3, I made it each week with only the lesser jumps being a problem. Out of anything Pace slower and finish till YOU, are happy with your progress but don't let up and you will be able to do it no problem! (It will scare you how well just believing in yourself will do.)
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Trust the program! I know that specific run, I was SCARED as all get out, but I did it! Give it a shot, trust the work you've put in thus far and know that you can do it. Good luck!
  • ssakcik
    Options
    Thank you @MimiOfTheLusciousLawn I did it... Managed the 20 mins
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    Options

Awesome so happy for you!
  • dmgday
    dmgday Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Week 1 day 1 and 2 I couldn't even run for 60 seconds. Those two days were the only 2 days I didn't follow the programme as I simply couldn't. I feel amazed that in 5 weeks I've come this far. Going from thinking that 1 min was long, 3 minutes were long, 5 minutes were too long.. And then being able to run for 8 minutes...

I'm gonna give the 20 mins a go... Like some of you said, I might surprise myself and actually manage it. And if I manage 10 mins that's still more than yesterday.

Week 6 day 1 looks easier than the 20 mins so I'll see how I get on and go from there.

Thanks

That sounds like an awesome plan...go slow....pace yourself....I find that if I have to walk for a song... (that's how I started running was with music ). I walk and then start again...it gets easier day by day
  • liftinggoddess123
    liftinggoddess123 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Well done! I'm on week 4 day 2. I did day 1 two days ago and finished it flat out. But I couldn't do it yesterday. I got to the 2nd 3 min run and I was knackered and sweating so much. I've slowed my pace from last week as it took me two weeks to get get week 3 dead on. I'd love to run and not just dawdle. I want to get back up to that pace. Hopefully once I get. Closer I'll be able to do it.

Good luck xxx