Lost 13lbs since January but no one notices!

Options
1235»

Replies

• pvju
    pvju Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Womona wrote: »
    Ten pounds is a dress size, so yes, time to pick up a few new pieces, at least to get you through to your next weight loss break through! Also, a smaller size doesn't necessarily mean it's "tight". You may be used to looser, baggy clothes, and it may feel weird at first to actually feel the clothing skimming your body. However, that is the most flattering, and nothing beats beautifully tailored clothes to accentuate your new figure! NOW let's see who is the "invisible middle aged woman!"

I think you're onto something. Today, I wore a really cute dress I'd received as a gift last year (but it was too small). It's a little on the short side and tailored but age-appropriate - definitely emphasizes the waist. A client looked at me when I walked in and said, "Wow, you're too hot!" Maybe that would be offensive to some, but at my age, I'll take it!

I think because I was thin for most of my adult life and then spent the last 5-6 years camouflaging the extra pounds, people just haven't registered the gain or loss or at least the extent of either. Either way, I didn't feel invisible today!
  • pvju
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Ten pounds is a dress size

For some.

I've lost 55 lbs ... one would assume I'd be down 5 sizes?

I started at an Australian 16, just about 18 (I didn't want to move into 18, part of the reason I started losing weight!) ... I'm down to an Australian 14 and dabble in the occasional 12.

For reference ...
    http://www.onlineconversion.com/clothing_womens.htm
    (An Australian 18 is a US 14 ... an Australian 12 is a US 8.)

So given that sizing is usually even numbers, doesn't that mean I've only dropped 3 sizes at most? 18 -> 16 -> 14 -> 12

I haven't gone down a ton size-wise - in some things maybe 1 size (i've now lost a total of 15lbs) - but in other garments, it seems they just fit better and going down a size might still be too tight. I'm not shedding weight in my butt or boobs all that much - more in my stomach and legs and to a lesser degree in my arms and back. I think my proportion of fat to muscle is different being in my fifties and I'll have to focus on weight lifting to shift my body composition, which will take me down sizes without weight loss.
  • justincooper405
    justincooper405 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It could be worse.... I have friends that I haven't seen in a year that walk right past me because they don't recognize as a smaller person
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and have lost 11 lbs since January, and only my fiance and one of my workout friends have said anything. But, I know I look better, my pants fit better and that's all that matters.

In matters of your chest, I think that unfortunately larger chested women at times look larger in general due to their chest. If the weight is coming off your waist first, people may not notice. My face is the last to go so people don't really notice until the face goes.

Dress for your shape! Emphasize your waist and legs/bum if you feel your chest is still larger than you wish it was.
  • sassyfeather
    sassyfeather Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    13 pounds is not a lot of weight to lose since jan. Therefore people aren't going to notice at all. If you lost 13 pounds in 1 or 2 months that is noticeable because it is so quick. If you haven't seen someone since January they would notice the weight loss but if the people you ate talking about see you weekly and you are losing it slowly it is not so dramatic of a change. The scale does not matter anyways. It is the way you feel and look .
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    My dentist observed "you've lost weight" with a worried expression last week. I explained that I'd been on a diet and he looked genuinely relieved. that is the first time I've gotten that reaction.

Note that I've only lost 10lbs since I last saw him. I've also gotten in better shape, so my face may appear thinner.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    its tough when they don't say anything. I have the opposite problem. I lose a lb and my boyfriend notices! but I love hearing those comments and they should absolutely commend you for your work.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    sometimes people are afraid to ask....especially afraid to ask women.
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    There's this middle aged lady at the office who's been working out for the past 6 months.
    I've also seen a change in her diet during lunch.
    She's dropped a ton of fat and looks much more confident.
    I wanted to tell her she's doing a good job and looks really good, but I just don't want to deal with the aggro if she gets offended.
    So I admire her hard work from afar.

Edit: This didn't sound as creepy in my head-_-

Op, people do notice but sometimes just don't say anything cause folks get offended, want you to mind your own business etc
  • pvju
    Options
    There's this middle aged lady at the office who's been working out for the past 6 months.
    I've also seen a change in her diet during lunch.
    She's dropped a ton of fat and looks much more confident.
    I wanted to tell her she's doing a good job and looks really good, but I just don't want to deal with the aggro if she gets offended.
    So I admire her hard work from afar.

Edit: This didn't sound as creepy in my head-_-

Op, people do notice but sometimes just don't say anything cause folks get offended, want you to mind your own business etc

That's funny!
  • pvju
    Options
    its tough when they don't say anything. I have the opposite problem. I lose a lb and my boyfriend notices! but I love hearing those comments and they should absolutely commend you for your work.

You're one of the few who get it! Lots of folks seem to think liking outside validation is a problem!
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Ten pounds is a dress size, so yes, time to pick up a few new pieces, at least to get you through to your next weight loss break through! Also, a smaller size doesn't necessarily mean it's "tight". You may be used to looser, baggy clothes, and it may feel weird at first to actually feel the clothing skimming your body. However, that is the most flattering, and nothing beats beautifully tailored clothes to accentuate your new figure! NOW let's see who is the "invisible middle aged woman!"

For me (5-foot-6) I've found that 20 pounds equates to one pants size. Or did until I got to 12. Since 12, nothing has made any sense. Some styles I need 10, some even 8.
  • pvju
    Options
    Yes, my sizes aren't making a ton of sense right now - most of my dresses and shirts are still fitting me just fine - of course they have stretch generally, and my chest hasn't reduced very much. Skirts and pants are definitely big - and sizing is a varied - weird because it took a while to see that change. But I went from a 10 to a 4-6 in pants and skirts for the most part though some of my stretchy jeans type things in size 8 are still looking okay. I'm just happy to be going in the right direction.

Of course sizing is all over the map depending on brand - in some stores I'm much smaller than others - higher end brands definitely use vanity sizing so us middle aged women think we're thinner than we are - target and such runs much smaller than say Ann Taylor.