Ladies: How did you get to love your body?

Options
2»

Replies

• juliefilidei
    juliefilidei Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with this for 15 yrs. Cycled through 3 different eating disorders until I was about 22. Still working on it. For me, it takes lots of prayer to keep myself in check but thank God I've been doing pretty good for the past few years.
  • laurchell
    laurchell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Personally, either I'm in the state of "shoot, girl you look good today", or "ew, bet the guy who hit on me didn't see this fat roll". Everyone goes through lows where the don't particularly love every aspect about themselves. But you gotta get out of that mindset and realize that you totally have some pretty rockin features going on. Working out has also been a big contributor for myself. I realized that I may not have the best physique, but I sure as hell am stronger than the cardio bunny next to me on the treadmill. I take pride in that.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I am asking this because i am struggling with my self-image, and recently Ive discovered with helps from friends that i dislike my body no matter what weight. Is anyone else like this?

So, how did you get to change and love our body and feel comfortable in your own skin? Any wisdom ? :)

I literally only stopped this type of thinking last week. after losing all my weight, and maintaining a while, i still didn't really like my body, only seeing the 'flaws'. I've finally managed to actually look at it from an outsiders view, not my own and appreciate it for what it is, rather than penalising myself for what it's not. I've finally accepted it, but I wont lie I can't really pin point how, my only tip is to give yourself a break sometimes, i think we can all be over critical of ourselves sometimes!

• shineyapple
    shineyapple Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    hzl22 wrote: »
    It's a thought process:

-do the best for you
    -don't compare yourself to others (compare yourself with your own progress )
    -own your flaws and virtues
    -realize how much your body does for you and how much more it can if you treat it right
    -be kind to yourself
    -love yourself (it's you against the world)

thanksss good tips :D
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to consider what people mean by "self-image" issue. It often confuses me.

Really, when no one looks at me, I am perfectly fine with the way I look, and very comfortable in my own skin. For me, the "self-imagine issue" arises from my LOOK, which means, how people SEE me.

I don't really understand how someone who is in fact, attractive to others, who is beautiful in the eyes of others, can have a "body image issue". ( Don't get me wrong: I don't deny the issue - I know many suffer from it! I am saying that I do not understand it.)

I think those self-image issues are often taught. For me, the only part of my body that really, really gets to me is my stomach. There was the ex who told me he hated stomach fat and picked on me to the point that I developed an eating disorder, which, ugh. But long before that *kitten* went down, I remember catching a glimpse of my mother holding her stomach and looking sad. I remember calling her fat as really young kid, not realizing it was mean or hurtful, and her bursting into tears. I remember her buying super-padded bras, saying "As long as my boobs are bigger than my stomach, it's ok." It's still the thing she gripes about all the time. So between all that, it's lodged in my brain that unless my stomach is Victoria's Secret model flat, it's Not Good. But knowing WHY I have that hangup has really helped me to start moving past it.
  • sabillin1
    sabillin1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    STOP the negative self-talk. We all do it, but it is absolutely the worst. I also believe in daily affirmations, meditation and look at non-scale victories.

I gained weight during law school, trying to lose it now, but even before I was chubby, I've always had a curvy body. We are not meant to be super models. I have always told myself that I am a Greek Goddess nearly every day or when I am feeling blah. Just because society is telling us we need to be rail thin, does not mean that natural instinct has caught up to society. Look at all of the fertility symbols....these women had hips and curves to be able to survive child birth. I tell myself that natural instinct in finding a mate has not changed, and I am the body type that men are hard wired to seek out....whether or not its true, it works for me, lol.