Diet sodas

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    leelou84 wrote: »
    My 2 cents, when I have 3 or more a day my arthritis kicks in big time and a few other minor aches and pains I have are much more painful. I've read things about it causing inflammation and for me I feel it does. I feel it also causes me to crave food but when I'm logging and paying attention I can control those cravings. I've been having one a day and that works for me.

@leelou84 welcome to MFP forums. How long after having 3 or more diet drinks a day is it before you see the big time kick in arthritis pain?

Oct 2014 I cold turkey left off sugar and all forums of all grains trying to get pain relief. I just 30 days my joint and muscle pain dropped from 7-8 levels to 2-3 and the pain is still gone but I have kept my carbs to less than 50 grams daily until yesterday.

Yesterday I started carb loading using D-Ribose, Nutritional Yeast Flakes, Marine Phytoplankton and tangerines. I am wondering how it may effect my pain levels and when. Late yesterday afternoon and several hours today I have been bush hogging fields and road sides on the old 265 MF tractor so that is a lot of body abuse and I will have to factor that into my pain levels. This morning I was getting a 0.0000 reading on my breath analyzer so I know I am out of ketosis but have not pulled a blood ketone level yet.

Clearly different people can eat/drink the same thing and have very different results/responses.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I don't drink diet pop. After a lot of trial and error I determined it was giving me headaches.

I can't verify that because I don't use artificial sweetners, except for stevia.

Anyway, I don't miss diet pop. I like tea and water for between meals.
  • __leis__
    __leis__ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I quit for soda for 3 months starting in January . The ease in pain was gradual, but definitely by the end of the 3 months the pain went from a 4 to a 1. I started drinking it for about a 3 weeks in april. I had between 3 and 5 a day, that's when the pain started back again. I stopped drinking it again for a week and the pain isn't gone but much better. For the last few days I've been having one a day and so far so good.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    That is interesting how fast the pain came back. Keep us updated.

With my background and living with Ankylosing Spondylitis for over 40 years I am starting to realize how few answers are out other for us that actually apply to us. It is like people say sure XXX is fine to eat or is not fine to eat/drink. Often both are totally correct as far as their body goes I expect.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I have one whenever I feel like having one. Drinking it after a large meal can actually help me feel full (must be the carbonation) when I have hormonal hunger and nothing short of stuffing myself to the brim works. More than 80 lb lost like clockwork, and my bloodwork normalized. No ill effects on my weight or health.
  • NewMEEE2016
    NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Everything I have ever read recommends LOTS of water for weight loss. Aside from the fact that you're ingesting chemicals- doesn't drinking soda impact your ability to drink a LOT of water?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Everything I have ever read recommends LOTS of water for weight loss. Aside from the fact that you're ingesting chemicals- doesn't drinking soda impact your ability to drink a LOT of water?

Soda counts towards your water intake because it's mostly water. With that said, I doubt she meant guzzling a family sized bottle of it every day.
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I usualy totaly avoid sodas, but am staying at the plac eof someone with diet soda. Ive found that when I am having a sweets craving having that instead does curb it
  • Michaeld5
    Michaeld5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    leelou84 I have similar experience, I have found that my arthritic pain dropped once I stopped drinking diet stuff and just generally lowered my carb and sugar intake. It's not low as in Ketosis low but I tend to go no higher than 120 per day on carbs.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited May 2016
    Options
    nutritionalmagnesium.org/diabetes-mellitus-linked-to-magnesium-deficiency/

This refers to food/drink containing Aspartame only and may be debatable but we do understand formaldehyde is better for us after we get to the funeral home instead of in our food while living.

"2.Use stevia as a natural sweetener which comes from the leaves of a plant that grows in South America and avoid the sugar substitute aspartame, which can worsen blood sugar control and cause weight gain, headaches, nerve damage, and eye damage, because it is made partly from wood alcohol, which breaks down to formaldehyde."
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

This refers to food/drink containing Aspartame only and may be debatable but we do understand formaldehyde is better for us after we get to the funeral home instead of in our food while living.

"2.Use stevia as a natural sweetener which comes from the leaves of a plant that grows in South America and avoid the sugar substitute aspartame, which can worsen blood sugar control and cause weight gain, headaches, nerve damage, and eye damage, because it is made partly from wood alcohol, which breaks down to formaldehyde."

Do you avoid foods with naturally occuring formaldehyde?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't drink diet soda.

Around here we drink diet pop.

More seriously, I drink it off and on (my real weakness is the black coffee, which I drink too much of), and it's never affected my weight loss or maintenance or cravings or how I feel or anything else. Just sometimes hits the spot.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

Do you avoid foods with naturally occuring formaldehyde?

cfs.gov.hk/english/whatsnew/whatsnew_fa/files/formaldehyde.pdf

fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/ScienceResearch/ucm349473.htm

atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=218&tid=39

cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/intheworkplace/formaldehyde

In my case based on my personal experience with processed foods I try to avoid all added chemicals. Pears I have eaten and may eat again if I can fit them into my macro.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

The fact that methanol and formaldehyde are breakdown products of aspartame sounds scary to consumers. Therefore, it is important to know that formaldehyde is produced by our bodies every day in amounts thousands of times greater than you would ever get from aspartame, as it is a key metabolite that is needed to make other essential compounds, including DNA. Also, the known toxic effects of methanol relate not to formaldehyde, but to the build-up of formic acid in the blood. The breakdown of formic acid is slower than the breakdown of formaldehyde, so if there is a very large dose of methanol (or formaldehyde) coming into the body, formic acid can build up and that causes the adverse effects seen in methanol poisoning.

To put this into perspective, studies in healthy adults and infants consuming up to 200mg per kg of body weight (50 times the amounts Americans consume on average), showed no change in the levels of formic acid in the blood (1,2).

http://www.andeal.org/topic.cfm?cat=4089

You just don't care about your sources anymore, do you?
  • GaleHawkins
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Back to the subject of aspartame sensitivity in some people. What may be very toxic to one human may not be to another human is a fact all can agree on I expect. Why/how that can be seldom is simple. Below is a link on the subject in the quoted info below is from a comment that is labeled as to date and author. As one can read "aspartame" may not be the initial health problem but a lack of B12/folate in the human. If I am low in Folic Acid then perhaps my body can not deal with consuming Aspartame?

https://whatdoesthesciencesay.wordpress.com/2010/06/13/aspartame-and-formaldehyde/

"Aspartame is perfectly safe used as directed, but still some people may show varying degrees of sensitivity (headaches, etc). These arise not from aspartame, but from the user’s underlying biochemistry. Some are ultrasensitive (allergic) to formate (perhaps from childhood insect stings). But most sensitive people are deficient in folic acid (a vitamin), have genetic folate abnormalities (called polymorphisms; Wikipedia: Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase), or have high blood homocysteine (Wikipedia: homocysteine). The latter may be the most potent excitotoxin and many people have high blood homocysteine most frequently because of folate issues. Other factors include ethanol (which strongly inhibits folate enzymes and that explains why it raises formate concentrations; fetal alcohol syndrome, etc.) and antiepileptic drugs. ALL aspartame “symptoms” may be seen as a direct consequence of underlying personal issues residing in formate sensitivity, whether through allergy, folate or other issues. None have anything to do with aspartame safety. But this formate sensitivity “straw that broke the camels back” issue is why aspartame-associated symptoms disappear after ceasing use. ******* The bigger question is whether people who show aspartame sensitivity are still fundamentally at risk from many folate-associated diseases? That includes MS, lupus, diabetes, many cancers (brain and breast cancer) and other problems. Perhaps aspartame sensitivity is a marker for innate susceptibility to many diseases and cancers? *******
    John E. Garst, Ph.D. (Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Nutrition), on June 14, 2010 at 12:53 pm"
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Back to the subject of aspartame sensitivity in some people. What may be very toxic to one human may not be to another human is a fact all can agree on I expect. Why/how that can be seldom is simple. Below is a link on the subject in the quoted info below is from a comment that is labeled as to date and author.

https://whatdoesthesciencesay.wordpress.com/2010/06/13/aspartame-and-formaldehyde/

"Aspartame is perfectly safe used as directed, but still some people may show varying degrees of sensitivity (headaches, etc). These arise not from aspartame, but from the user’s underlying biochemistry. Some are ultrasensitive (allergic) to formate (perhaps from childhood insect stings). But most sensitive people are deficient in folic acid (a vitamin), have genetic folate abnormalities (called polymorphisms; Wikipedia: Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase), or have high blood homocysteine (Wikipedia: homocysteine). The latter may be the most potent excitotoxin and many people have high blood homocysteine most frequently because of folate issues. Other factors include ethanol (which strongly inhibits folate enzymes and that explains why it raises formate concentrations; fetal alcohol syndrome, etc.) and antiepileptic drugs. ALL aspartame “symptoms” may be seen as a direct consequence of underlying personal issues residing in formate sensitivity, whether through allergy, folate or other issues. None have anything to do with aspartame safety. But this formate sensitivity “straw that broke the camels back” issue is why aspartame-associated symptoms disappear after ceasing use. ******* The bigger question is whether people who show aspartame sensitivity are still fundamentally at risk from many folate-associated diseases? That includes MS, lupus, diabetes, many cancers (brain and breast cancer) and other problems. Perhaps aspartame sensitivity is a marker for innate susceptibility to many diseases and cancers? *******
    John E. Garst, Ph.D. (Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Nutrition), on June 14, 2010 at 12:53 pm"

Or it is just the nocebo effect in action.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25786106
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have discussed this very issue with an endocrinologist who specializes in weight loss, and he believes that artificial sweeteners in excess may alter the body's natural response to sweet taste over time, if sweet taste is rarely followed by the arrival of glucose in the gut. This could interfere with metabolism, as sweet taste is the first signal to the gut to "get ready" for some sugar to process. He recommends limiting artificial sweeteners to 3 or fewer "helpings" per day which does seem reasonable.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Back to the subject of aspartame sensitivity in some people. What may be very toxic to one human may not be to another human is a fact all can agree on I expect. Why/how that can be seldom is simple. Below is a link on the subject in the quoted info below is from a comment that is labeled as to date and author.

Steven did you read the below by the government agency reporting their findings? Do you think if they looked for more than just SHORT TERM ACUTE EFFECTS then the report might have had some medical value? I would prefer non politically research when possible.

"This study looked only at acute effects and cannot exclude the possibility of chronic, cumulative effects of aspartame on biological parameters and on the psychological state[37,38]. Also, the dose given is smaller than the daily intake of many individuals. However, it is greater than the intake at which the people reporting aspartame sensitivity believe that they suffer symptoms[23]."
  • stevencloser
    Options

Steven did you read the below by the government agency reporting their findings? Do you think if they looked for more than just SHORT TERM ACUTE EFFECTS then the report might have had some medical value? I would prefer non politically research when possible.

"This study looked only at acute effects and cannot exclude the possibility of chronic, cumulative effects of aspartame on biological parameters and on the psychological state[37,38]. Also, the dose given is smaller than the daily intake of many individuals. However, it is greater than the intake at which the people reporting aspartame sensitivity believe that they suffer symptoms[23]."

Bolded the evidence for nocebo. The subjects were all self proclaimed sensitives who reported acute effects. Something you see on here every other day. "I got headaches immediately that's how I know!".
    The study didn't find any of the sort.