Diet sodas

Options
odsgirl
odsgirl Posts: 1 Member
I was wondering if it's not a good idea to drink Diet drinks if you're trying to lose weight?

I drink lots of water and the occasional black coffee but I like my diet cokes.

Replies

• raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Love my diet dr pepper. No it won't effect your weight loss.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    If you do a search on this subject, you'll see it comes up, oh, about once a day. ;)

Personally, diet soda is a part of my repertoire. I enjoy the taste and - for me - is a good way of getting hydrated without calories.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    odsgirl wrote: »
    I was wondering if it's not a good idea to drink Diet drinks if you're trying to lose weight?

@odsgirl welcome to MFP forums. Your question about artificial sweeteners is a good one but only you will be able to answer that question in your own case based on how your body responds to the chemical cocktail in your diet drinks.

As was mentioned to you there is a lot of debate on the subject. Below proves that point. It is just a google search on "impact of diet soda". One can find support for most any view. :) Keep doing your own reading on the subject and most likely you will discover the right answer for your body and that is the only answer that you need because we all can be different. Best of success.

https://google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=impact%20of%20diet%20soda
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    There's lots of fear-mongering concerning diet sodas in general, and artificial sweeteners in particular, including (but not limited to) diet soda being a carcinogen.

If you look behind the click-bait headlines, though, you will soon discover that these fears aren't based in accredited peer-reviewed scientific reality.

Diet soda can be a part of an overall caloric reduced diet which can be helpful in achieving weight loss. So if you enjoy it, have it. Everything in moderation is the way to go. :)
  • Mixedcoffees
    Mixedcoffees Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I would say as long as it's not making you sick. I like black coffee too, & have diet sodas in the food pantry. I like the convenience of being able to drink a diet soda just to give me some carbonation and flavor on the tongue.
  • Wepz
    Wepz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You know, this is actually a very good question, something I have been curious about for some time.

I have heard that Diet Drinks have a list of negative affects, especially the most common sweetener which is Aspartame.

I am going to research into this, because drinking Diet Drinks instead of the full fat drinks like I have been doing will save me hundreds of calories per day.
  • snickerscharlie
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Wepz wrote: »
    You know, this is actually a very good question, something I have been curious about for some time.

I have heard that Diet Drinks have a list of negative affects, especially the most common sweetener which is Aspartame.

I am going to research into this, because drinking Diet Drinks instead of the full fat drinks like I have been doing will save me hundreds of calories per day.

For me, in order to lose weight, it got down to wanting/needing to eat my calories instead of drinking them. And diet soda allowed me flavour without a caloric punch. :)
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I lost over 50lbs and improved every health marker, including stabilizing a high glucose number, all while drinking diet soda ;)
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    If it makes your life easier and better than drink away!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

@odsgirl welcome to MFP forums. Your question about artificial sweeteners is a good one but only you will be able to answer that question in your own case based on how your body responds to the chemical cocktail in your diet drinks.

As was mentioned to you there is a lot of debate on the subject. Below proves that point. It is just a google search on "impact of diet soda". One can find support for most any view. :) Keep doing your own reading on the subject and most likely you will discover the right answer for your body and that is the only answer that you need because we all can be different. Best of success.

https://google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=impact%20of%20diet%20soda

"Chemical cocktail"? Your bias is showing.

Being a doctor I was using the term in a scientific manner.

https://sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100329093634.htm

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

"Chemical cocktail"? Your bias is showing.

OP, like Dianne, I agree that doing your own research is great. The responses you get here will vary wildly. If you have access to a University library, their databases have considerable numbers of journal articles. Some public libraries may have access, as will some professional associations. PubMed is another available resource, or Google Scholar. Whenever possible, I try to look at the actual studies that are being done, rather than the interpretation of them presented in news publications, or blogs. The person presenting the information may not fully understand the study and the implications of it.

My personal opinion... moderation. If you like a diet soda once in a while, have it.

You should know that nobody has ever used the term "chemical cocktail" to play on deep-seated fears. Ever.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoys the diet dr. Pepper. I've heard so many opinions on this and read the pros and cons of diet soda.

I had one doctor tell me they're no good for me, I've had another doctor tell me they were great and in fact they're a good diuretic. I work with people who can't drink diet soda because of the sweeteners and the fact that it gives them headaches and yet it doesn't bother me.

I guess all I can tell you is everything is ok in moderation.
  • __leis__
    __leis__ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents, when I have 3 or more a day my arthritis kicks in big time and a few other minor aches and pains I have are much more painful. I've read things about it causing inflammation and for me I feel it does. I feel it also causes me to crave food but when I'm logging and paying attention I can control those cravings. I've been having one a day and that works for me.