Help! I have arms like a man.

Options
I started lifting very heavy because I was told it helps me lose weight, and I did lost 80 lbs so far and it's amazing. But only thing is I have arms like a man. I know having muscles is good, but sometimes I feel unconfident to wear sleeveless top. I've always been told that my arms look like a man. Some of them make fun about my arms like "wow your arms is bigger than mine(men)" or "I'm afraid of you now"
If I lose more weight by dieting and keep weight lifting plus cardio, does it help me have smaller arms? Or should I stop lifting? (I don't want to stop lifting after seeing the result; weightlost,stronger, better shape.)
Or I have no hope to fix my arms and have to accept how my body type is.
Thank you in advance for any advice.

Replies

• RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I find that a lot of guys really like a woman who lifts. I agree with the others that posted also. The guys that say that are insecure about themselves. Most men want to feel "manly" (stronger than women), but many don't put the time and effort into lifting weights or whatever have you.

I personally get some sense of enjoyment when I can out lift guys. Lol! Be happy that you're a strong woman! :smile:
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,471 Member
    Options
    Or I have no hope to fix my arms and have to accept how my body type is.
    Wut!?!?! There's nothing to 'fix'!!!

Personally, I love seeing strong defined arms on a woman and I know I'm not the only one...

Please yourself...you can't please everybody.

• chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Your pic doesn't look like manly arms. I think defined and "manly" are two different things and your friends need a visual aid. Show them a defined mans arm and a defined woman's arm and they do not look the same. Lol. I find this funny. Sorry.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Meh. Do what makes you happy. If you don't want your arms to get any bigger then don't do much heavy arm work.

On the flip side, having defined biceps makes me very happy and I don't think I look at all like a man, despite being stronger than many of them. Just yesterday I had a guy mention my "guns" (his term) and since I'd never met him before and I'm more than a decade older, I'll take it as a compliment :)

May I also say well done on your weight loss!
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It's possible they mean it as a compliment. Some people don't give a straight up compliment; they turn it into teasing or an exaggerated/untrue statement. Like when some people say, "you're getting so skinny. you're going to blow away." Regardless, do what you like. You can't please everyone.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Sucks for them that they are so *kitten* weak. Keep doing you.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Do you like your arms but are bothered by the comments? In this case stop paying attention to them. Different people have different preferences, some may like your arms and some may not regardless of what they look like, so just do what makes you happy.

If you are not happy with the way your arms look Then that's a different story. Do you basically like the shape, but not the size? If that's the case, keep losing weight but either lighten up the weights that work your arms significantly and increase the number and speed of repetitions or make them so heavy that you are only able to do 1-3 rips. The first route would keep the shape, decrease the size and increase your endurance, while the second route would increase your strength with only minimal muscle size increase.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    You do you and f the idiots. Last time someone was stupid enough to tell me that my arms were unattractive I just laughed and promptly took some flexing pics.

❤️
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't change your training unless you want your muscles to get smaller. If you're still losing fat, chances are your arms will get smaller still. Do not change anything about yourself simply due to these comments.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    If you are happy, don't worry what others think.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to please everyone no matter what you do. Actually sounds like a bit of jealousy to me.

If someone is turned off by a woman who lifts and obviously takes care of herself that may be a good thing for you. would you really want that person in your life anyway?

Do what makes you happy and don't worry about the people that want to change you, you are almost always better off without them.