Avoid squats and lunges

Options
13»

Replies

• unawind
    unawind Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey all I was reading a blog online which advised not to do squats and lunges as well as other leg exercises.

Let me explain I have very VERY large thighs.
    And wanted to know if I should do leg muscle exercises to slim them down?

But the blog I reading said that cardio is the way to go as exercises such as squats make you legs bigger?

Squatting is one of the most natural human movements. How else do you pick things off the ground? That blog writer is ignorant.
  • Scorpio_Runner
    Scorpio_Runner Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Started doing squats and lunges before bed the last 3 weeks and have noticed my legs are slimming and looking more muscular, especially my quads just above the knee.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Drop it like a squat! I have strong, still heavily disguised with fat, legs. And I squat squat and lunge and deadlift and leg lift and curtsy lunge all day long (okay, exaggerating but I do it a lot). It's the way to a shapely butt and legs. Plus strong legs look better, to me personally, than skinny cardio beaten legs (I cardio because food).

I wouldn't advise just randomly doing 20 squats 3 times a week though, get a proper programme or workout. Heavy lifting there's Stronglifts, NROLFW. Bodyweight, Convict Conditioning, You Are Your Own Gym and weighted/supersets and a whole bunch of other stuff including bodyweight there's YouTube, personal favourite being Fitness Blender.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I lose fat noticably on my boobage first. Cos they are mostly fat and they are obvious when you look at yourself. So maybe thighs start looking bigger by comparison?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Lynnmi07 wrote: »
    I'm going to go against the grain here. I have a couple friends who are "bottom heavy" and have very muscular thighs and large calves and if they do a lot of lower body exercise they get larger. I think it is truly in their genetics. So I think genetics plays a large part in how squats/lunges will affect you.

Do your friends do a lot of heavy progressive leg exercises? If not, they don't have very muscular legs their legs are likely big because they are fat.