Barre...disappointment...trying...turning 40...ha

2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,735 Member
    Absolutely put a priority on doing what is fun for you - that makes it so much easier to stick to it.

That said, if I decide to do something like a class or club, I try really hard to make myself stick with it for a few sessions. Sometimes as I get to know people better, and they get to know me, it turns out the situation is more socially comfortable than it was when I was brand new to it. (I'm a no-fancy-gym-wear, no-makeup kind of workout gal, too - and even more oddball, I've had bilateral mastectomies with no reconstruction and never wear prostheses to work out, so I am really, really not much like the appearance-focused young women.)

In fitness classes, I also have found it kind of fun in the past to be the old (I'm 60), fat woman who can out-work the svelte kids. (That doesn't happen immediately, of course. ;-) It also isn't quite as much fun now that I'm the old, thin woman - people don't underestimate me as much as they used to.) It's also utterly hilarious to me to hear the 20- and 30-somethings say things like "I'm starting spin class now, because I won't be able to do things like that when I'm older." Heh.

But for you, it sounds like jogging/weights is really what works for you. So, do that. I'll bet you can find a way to make it work enough times a week to thrive.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    celadontea wrote: »
    I was the chubbiest person in my yoga classes that I attended for 3 months. I don't care :) I used to be really anxious and imagine what other people thought of me, or assumed about me, but that's all it is-- assumption and imagination. The reality is I'm a person that wants to be fit and take yoga (and barre so I can relate to this, but I can't afford the barre in my area so I am doing an at home system). If someone happens to look at my body and judge me that's their issue that they are caught up in. It has nothing to do with me.

Yep. Nobody cares. If they do, they are just happy for you that you are working out. Also there are some heavier ladies in my yoga classes who are amazing, can do really cool stuff, strong and flexible.

In Jazzercise it was so much fun to watch the ladies shrink. They would start out fatter and get leaner. I was in a M-F 5:30 AM class.

In my experience anything works, IF you do it often enough, consistently, and with your full effort and attention.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    just because the class didn't fit for you doesn't mean you should rag on the people attending.
    find a different class or do what already works for you.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    I loved my 40s. It was an awesome decade. Turning 50 hit me really hard, and now I'm worried about wrinkles, health, etc. (I'm 52 now).
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    I am exactly the same way at the ripe old age of 43. I like to keep it simple. I can see my friend doing her Bootcamp class from my squat rack in the morning and she will NEVER talk me into doing that nonsense! They're always fiddling around with steps and balls and dumbells. Too complicated for me. I tell her there's only two workouts I like: Run Really Far And Run Back or Lift Heavy Things And Put Them Down. She just laughs at how bored she be with my workouts. Good thing there's something out there for everyone!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I had eight years of ballet when I was a kid and am intrigued by Barre and have been meaning to get to a class, but I'm not a fan of group exercise classes anyway and last I checked there wasn't one during off work hours. Plus it's gardening season. Went for my first hike today in a long time - that garden is very demanding.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    I'm also 40 and am often the largest (frame size more than fat) and oldest person in such classes. I don't feel uncomfortable at all. I used to be a professional dancer though, so my body can do unexpected things. I am a lot fitter than I look.

Anyhow, while I agree that you should find things that you like to do...you are the one responsible for your own feeling of emotional comfort. If you don't care, it's likely that nobody else will either.

If Barre doesn't work for you, don't give up on dance. Zumba, hip-hop or social dance might be a useful part of your fitness plan.

I don't buy from unethical companies...and for me, both Walmart and Lululemon fall into that category. There is nothing wrong with looking nice to exercise--slap on some mascara, put on a nice outfit (Target C9? Athleta? Title9) and go do whatever you want.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Find what works for you. Don't disparage others for choosing something that works for them.