Career and fitness?

Options

Replies

• jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I would never take a pay-cut for the sake of exercising more, but you could figure out ways to get exercise in during your 12-hour workdays. Consider an adjustable desk (also known as standing desk) that will allow you to stand and move versus just sitting in a chair all day. Take the stairs whenever you have to walk between floors in the building. Park in the furthest spot away or highest deck in the parking deck and walk it. See if you can plan your work hours to allow for fitness before or after without losing out on quality of life. If you work 7a-7p, you can get up and hit the gym at 5 a.m. for a good workout, and still have your evenings with family and/or friends.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job in finance as well and log at least 5-6k in steps in a day. I'm constantly back and forth between my desk and the copier or other offices.
    On those days when I've got a lot of work to do, I make a point to get up and walk around at least once an hour. I also put my keurig on the opposite end of the building lol
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I make my time in the gym a priority and always find a way to work it around whatever job I'm in. If the job I was in made it extremely difficult, unless it was my absolute dream career I would be looking for a new one!

Last year I changed jobs from a fairly active job with messed up shift patterns to a 9-5 desk job. I don't love the sitting down aspect as it requires more work to prevent lower back or neck problems. I do love the times though. I've always had enough sleep, and I get a regular training partner.

Opportunities are there to work overtime but I only take it on a weekend as I'm training most weekdays. The O/T pay is very good, but I still have priorities and I would have to be pretty financially desperate to spend my evening working instead. Even then I'd probably train before work (and I hate mornings!) AND I'd be looking for a better paid job that covered my requirements without having to work over 40 hours.

It all comes down to priorities. My main priority is being able to support myself, pay my bills/mortgage. I will not quit a job for the gym, I will just look harder for a new one. Other priorities are a job that gives me opportunity to progress financially , that I don't dread going to each day, and that also gives me a good work - life (ie: training) balance.
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I have no problem making time for the gym and exercise but if working 12+ hours and a 45 minute drive each way I will be taking away from family time one way or another.
    Its not a job where I control the flow of customers so some of these options are not possible. Like an adjustable desk.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    I prioritize quality of life. I could make a lot more money if I were willing to commute into Boston, which I am not.

At lunch today I went for a 108 minute hike. I did yoga before work and gardened afterwards. I didn't do any of that when I had a 10 hour day with an hour commute on either end.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It if pays well enough, you can move closer to the job.
  • dbkyser
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    It if pays well enough, you can move closer to the job.

That is a thought, but then moving son out of a small school system to a very large one. Not a good idea when he enjoys playing sports.
  • annapage38
    annapage38 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm career minded. I'm an engineer - so sitting at my desk all day. I make sure I'm active every hour and use my Fitbit to track that. I also commute 40-45 minutes each way and I still get at least an hour of exercise in a day - yesterday I was working out for over two hours. It all depends about how motivated you are to get the fitness in
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    what it will do for fitness?

What about what it will do for your quality of life in general? Here's my thing... unless you are following a passion and doing something that fulfills you every day, i will NOT EVER give up literally half my life towards someone else's dream. We never know what's going to happen in life and i think it's important to find out happiness and joy day in and day out. This means eating the right foods, taking care of our bodies, maintaining good mental health and a positive mindset. Health is wealth.

No amount of money is worth it to me to compromise on these values i have. I will make enough money to live, but there is no reason for me personally to kill myself for an extra paycheck. What's the point in making all that extra money when you've now compromised your happiness, have no time to use it, and are miserable all the time?

I dont know... this is just my opinion. I would say especially this is the case since you mentioned wanting to spend time with your family. At the end of the day, you need to decide what your priorities in life are. I made my priority in life to be happy, do something that fulfills me, and to always treat my body with respect above all else so this situation wouldn't even be a question for me.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    dbkyser wrote: »
    Has anyone changed careers, or taken a less paying job for the sake of fitness?
    I may have a chance to get back into the finance business but it is 12+ hours a day mostly behind a desk. I am not sure its worth the extra money for what it will do to my fitness.

I took a much lower paying job to get out from behind a desk. I'm on my feet moving around at least half the day. I went from software developer to print production, and have to say I love the activity and feel so much healthier and enjoy that it's not a stressful position, but don't like the pay. Outside of the medical profession, I'm not certain I can find a job that pays what I'm accustomed to that ha any activity. It's a trade off and I haven't made up my mind yet on which I prefer. Money buys freedom but so does good health.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    dbkyser wrote: »
    Has anyone changed careers, or taken a less paying job for the sake of fitness?
    I may have a chance to get back into the finance business but it is 12+ hours a day mostly behind a desk. I am not sure its worth the extra money for what it will do to my fitness.

I've worked in corporate finance for 35+ years. Minimum 9 hr day up to 16 and 45-60 minute commute on both ends. I've kept the weight off, spent time with my family and exercised. I tended to trade off on sleep, and when my kids were growing up the only TV I watched was something with them.

You can find the time, to me the biggest issue is what the sitting does to your body. I recently got an adjustable workstation (where I'm at you have to have a doctor order) which is great. My body had the *kitten* beat out of it for 35 years with all the sitting (6 shoulder operations related to poor posture, both thumb joints rebuilt due to all the keyboard work).

If you like your current job, living a lifestyle you are happy with and can save for the future, I'd think long and hard about changing.

Good luck with your decision.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    OP I think you've made the right choice, so what I'm going to say doesn't really apply to you. I'm just going to use the thread title as an excuse to put out something that's been on my mind. I worry a little about a few people on here, people in their thirties for example, putting such a high a percentage of their time and attention into fitness. Health is important, but once you get into normal weight category and develop an exercise routine that gives you 30-60 minutes of exercise most days, that's enough, imo. I view it like the 80/20 rule of nutrition: that last 20% improvement in muscle development, bodyfat% etc isn't going to make you live any longer 20 years from now, so you can't tell me it's about health. When you're older and have made your money, you can put 100% into health and fitness. But when you're young you need to put time and attention into building that nest egg and into building relationships. Written with motherly concern.
  • Packerjohn
    edited May 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    OP I think you've made the right choice, so what I'm going to say doesn't really apply to you. I'm just going to use the thread title as an excuse to put out something that's been on my mind. I worry a little about a few people on here, people in their thirties for example, putting such a high a percentage of their time and attention into fitness. Health is important, but once you get into normal weight category and develop an exercise routine that gives you 30-60 minutes of exercise most days, that's enough, imo. I view it like the 80/20 rule of nutrition: that last 20% improvement in muscle development, bodyfat% etc isn't going to make you live any longer 20 years from now, so you can't tell me it's about health. When you're older and have made your money, you can put 100% into health and fitness. But when you're young you need to put time and attention into building that nest egg and into building relationships. Written with motherly concern.

Sorry, but this is just your perspective, and it sounds like the perspective of someone whose been conditioned to be a worker bee their entire life. Someone who knows little about building wealth and living life to the fullest.

Saving up your peak physical condition for when you're old? Saving up looking your best in your prime years to meet your ideal partner? Saving up the time for travel, adventure, financial risk, and today's happiness so that you can focus on "making money and building your nest egg"?

As warren buffet said.... "“There comes a time when you ought to start doing what you want. Take a job that you love...I think you are out of your mind if you keep taking jobs that you don't like because you think it will look good on your resume. Isn't that a little like saving up sex for your old age?”

This mentality is absolutely bonkers. It's what's commonly referred to as "poor men's mentality" because it focuses on scarcity and risk-aversion. So you save up a lot of money your entire life, work your *kitten* off at jobs which pay you well, climb this invisible ladder to nowhere, and then what? You can do stuff/travel/have the body of your dreams when you're old? I don't want to wait until i'm old to enjoy life. I don't want to wait until i'm old and "safe" (which is just an illusion) financially to do the things i want to do. Besides, we can't predict what the financial situation will be like in the future. We can't know that we've saved and saved our whole lives just to have enough "money" that is worth a fraction of the sweat and tears we'd put in. You're almost implying reverse-inflation.

Of course we should be mindful of our future, but we aren't in the future. We're in the right now. Putting off all the things you want to do and experience when you're young is how you look back at 60 and wonder what the hell you've done with your life. It's how you look back and think about how you could have done so many things if you'd just not been afraid to fail.

Tomorrow is not guaranteed. Following your passion, loving yourself, putting your happiness and joy first RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW, these are the keys to building long-lasting REAL wealth. The kind that you can look back on and know that you've had a life of adventure and lived according to your values.

Working at jobs that pay well just so you can upgrade in a few years to another firm paying more so you can work until you're old and die. This is following the values of generations long since past and it's a key for living a mediocre, standard, unfulfilled life.

P.S. I'm not saying go out there and get a bunch of debt, never think about the future, etc. What i'm saying is that by switching your mentality to one of positivity, abundance, and dedicating yourself to living your life the way you want to live in the way that matches your personal purpose... this is the real "wealth" in life. You only get one life, don't waste it. Because in the end we all die.

Might be wrong but sounds like someone is living off the trust fund.

I mean I get the idea, but many of us have families to support and can't make a living from a dream job but have to balance.
  • rainbowbow
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Sorry, but this is just your perspective, and it sounds like the perspective of someone whose been conditioned to be a worker bee their entire life. Someone who knows little about building wealth and living life to the fullest.

Saving up your peak physical condition for when you're old? Saving up looking your best in your prime years to meet your ideal partner? Saving up the time for travel, adventure, financial risk, and today's happiness so that you can focus on "making money and building your nest egg"?

As warren buffet said.... "“There comes a time when you ought to start doing what you want. Take a job that you love...I think you are out of your mind if you keep taking jobs that you don't like because you think it will look good on your resume. Isn't that a little like saving up sex for your old age?”

This mentality is absolutely bonkers. It's what's commonly referred to as "poor men's mentality" because it focuses on scarcity and risk-aversion. So you save up a lot of money your entire life, work your *kitten* off at jobs which pay you well, climb this invisible ladder to nowhere, and then what? You can do stuff/travel/have the body of your dreams when you're old? I don't want to wait until i'm old to enjoy life. I don't want to wait until i'm old and "safe" (which is just an illusion) financially to do the things i want to do. Besides, we can't predict what the financial situation will be like in the future. We can't know that we've saved and saved our whole lives just to have enough "money" that is worth a fraction of the sweat and tears we'd put in. You're almost implying reverse-inflation.

Of course we should be mindful of our future, but we aren't in the future. We're in the right now. Putting off all the things you want to do and experience when you're young is how you look back at 60 and wonder what the hell you've done with your life. It's how you look back and think about how you could have done so many things if you'd just not been afraid to fail.

Tomorrow is not guaranteed. Following your passion, loving yourself, putting your happiness and joy first RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW, these are the keys to building long-lasting REAL wealth. The kind that you can look back on and know that you've had a life of adventure and lived according to your values.

Working at jobs that pay well just so you can upgrade in a few years to another firm paying more so you can work until you're old and die. This is following the values of generations long since past and it's a key for living a mediocre, standard, unfulfilled life.

P.S. I'm not saying go out there and get a bunch of debt, never think about the future, etc. What i'm saying is that by switching your mentality to one of positivity, abundance, and dedicating yourself to living your life the way you want to live in the way that matches your personal purpose... this is the real "wealth" in life. You only get one life, don't waste it. Because in the end we all die.

I mean I get the idea, but many of us have families to support and can't make a living from a dream job but have to balance.

edit because i dont really want my life story out there on the internet. I'm not on a trust fund and have had to work really hard to be where i am. I still stand by my initial stance that life is too short to do things that don't fulfill us and make us happy.
  • Packerjohn
    edited May 2016
    Options

edit because i dont really want my life story out there on the internet. I'm not on a trust fund and have had to work really hard to be where i am. I still stand by my initial stance that life is too short to do things that don't fulfill us and make us happy.

From your earlier post it sounded like you don't have any children, etc.

To me and many others my family provides fulfillment to me. I'm not working my dream job because I have a family to support, educate, etc.

I work my less than dream job for the $ and get fulfillment from my family, friends, charity work, hobbies, etc.

• RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options

To me and many others my family provides fulfillment to me. I'm not working my dream job because I have a family to support, educate, etc.

I work my less than dream job for the $ and get fulfillment from my family, charity work, hobbies, etc.

Exactly. I enjoy my job and the people I work with, most days. I'm lucky enough to be good at something I don't hate and that pays fairly well. BUT, I don't look to my job for happiness and fulfillment. I trade my knowledge and skill for money, that's it.

My "life" occurs in the hours I'm not sitting in my office. Spending time with family and friends, travelling, sports, hobbies, etc. I have also chosen to work for companies that value work/life balance. To me, life is far too short to work 12 hour days/weekends, etc. I'd rather trade less money for more time.

• rainbowbow
    edited May 2016
    Options

I work my less than dream job for the $ and get fulfillment from my family, charity work, hobbies, etc.

Exactly. I enjoy my job and the people I work with, most days. I'm lucky enough to be good at something I don't hate and that pays fairly well. BUT, I don't look to my job for happiness and fulfillment. I trade my knowledge and skill for money, that's it.

My "life" occurs in the hours I'm not sitting in my office. Spending time with family and friends, travelling, sports, hobbies, etc. I have also chosen to work for companies that value work/life balance. To me, life is far too short to work 12 hour days/weekends, etc. I'd rather trade less money for more time.

if this is the way you've got to do it then this has to be the most important factor. I mean if you are still finding happiness and fulfillment in your current lifestyle, awesome. What i'm talking about is working 12+ hour days or when you don't have that work life balance and you are sacrificing those things for money. That's when you've got to ask yourself "why".

and yes, i'm childfree by choice.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I agreed with the OP that accepting a 12+ hr/day job was not right for him, and at no point did I suggest that a 12+ hr/day job was the right path for anyone. My argument was against fitness endeavours/obsessions that, imo, take too much time away from relationships and, yes, work (aka financial stability). If you are "childfree by choice" as you put it, you definitely have more free time and fewer future financial obligations than those who have or plan to have children. You have a different perspective than I do because of that decision.

You guessed that I was a "worker bee" or "someone who knows little about building wealth". In fact, I cofounded a business at 31, sold it at 41 and with the exception of about 5 years where I traded a portion of my own investment portfolio (and lived and breathed the economy/stock market), I haven't worked since. So yes, my own hard work in my 30's, and the subsequent success I enjoyed, affects MY perspective, that those are prime years for achieving financial success, or at least laying the foundation to achieve financial success.

Blech. I typed out and erased some stuff about Warren Buffett, and "reverse-inflation" but this discussion isn't something I am that passionate about. I'll stick to mothering my own children and leave everyone else's alone.
  • dbkyser
    Options
    First of all thanks everyone for the comments. I am moving and have to make some decisions. I have asked my wife to take on less hours so she can be with the kids more and not have to stress out about work. My career has been in the car business which includes long hours. I have done both selling (lots of walking) and finance (lots of sitting) Trying to weight out the options. I am certain I will find time to keep up my fitness goals just wondering if there are better options out there as far as hours.