Best Donuts

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    There's a place near me that just opened up that does a grilled cheese donut, it may be a crime against nature but....
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    I don't care for Krispy Kreme, I've just never understood the hype. The local place where I grew up are still my favorite. I always make a point to stop in and get one hot and fresh in the morning when I visit home. Fry's Bakery in M&W Market, Nyssa, Oregon. I like my donuts simple, cinnamon and sugar or just glazed. Maybe a glazed with lemon jelly.

Now I want a donut, dammit!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    We have a local place called Munchers that does a cream cheese donut. They're open 24-hours and if I wander over right after karaoke at 1:30-2 am they're usually coming fresh out of the oven for the post bar crowd. I've sobered up with one of those many times.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    I live in Voodoo Donut territory. I'm not sure if they're baked every day, but they do have crazy over the top flavors. It's very cooky and very Portland haha.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    Sadly I can name a half dozen or more great donut places in Chicago. Mom and pop places rule! Dat donuts and Calumet Bakery are my favs..both on the south side..and their donuts are under a dollar. A chocolate cake or toasted coconut are my go to. High end places like Stan's who make a Biscoff donut are an expensive treat at close to $3 ea. Krispy Kreme is only good when they're hot. Dunkin donuts are a waste of money and calories.

I don't know most of these places (which is probably why I'm not super into donuts). A former intern brought in Stan's a few times -- that was tasty. A friend of mine is really into the Doughnut Vault truck, and there's one parked near my place on weekends I recently noticed, so I may have to try it out.

I'm not a Krispy Kreme person -- was very disappointed in them and did not see the appeal -- but I've never had them hot.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    DnD is alright in a pinch but there is a local bakery that makes amazing donuts. Also our local Shoprite in store bakery has been turning heads lately in town. Their jelly donuts are pretty yummy. They are huge and chewy with real strawberry jelly in them.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Honestly my favorite donut is a cream filled long john sold at Family Express gas stations. Those are amazing.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Alluminati wrote: »
    DnD is alright in a pinch but there is a local bakery that makes amazing donuts. Also our local Shoprite in store bakery has been turning heads lately in town. Their jelly donuts are pretty yummy. They are huge and chewy with real strawberry jelly in them.
    My mom was just saying the same thing ! Apparently shoprite bakery is stepping up their game !
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I have almost 300 cals and a Tim's on my way home.... donut or ice cream? Bugger
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm not a Krispy Kreme person -- was very disappointed in them and did not see the appeal -- but I've never had them hot.

Then you haven't really tried a Krispy Kreme donut. ;)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I have almost 300 cals and a Tim's on my way home.... donut or ice cream? Bugger

I would pick ice cream for 300 cals and save the donut for a different day.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I would pick ice cream because Tim's donuts suck
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    voodoo donut in portland. went there way to often when i lived there. Fresh hot krispy kremes are amazing. anyone who denies that is insane.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited May 2016
    In terms of chains, bottom of the barrel for me is the Shipleys near me. The last time we had some, the icing on those donuts were just stuck together or the frosting melted. It gets hot here, but not enough for something like that to happen that time of the year.

I had a nice blueberry muffin donut from a local place called Hearts Donuts or something at the start of May.

Krispie Creme opened shop in town again last year. It's too far to eat often, but the inside of the place was neat.

I know it would be a sin to compare it to something special, but I really loved Hostess red velvet donuts.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    My favorite is a local bakery in a town I grew up in called Fingerhut bakery but, there is a local grocery store where I live now that makes good donuts Martin's grocery store. I literally hate Krispy Kreme donuts. The smells makes my stomach hurt. The glaze is just atrocious!
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Considering Krispy Kreme stock went up 25% today, I'm sure I know the answer of the shareholders. (It was announced today that Krispy Kreme is being bought by the same private European holding company that recently acquired Keurig.)
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    There's a place here called Lamar's. They have giant delicious doughnuts. There's also a Voodoo doughnuts here and I am all about the crazy doughnut flavors and love that place.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited May 2016
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Why not both?

https://krispykreme.com/menu/kool-kreme/Original-Glazed®-Doughnut-Sundae
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Hahahaha! I went with the ice cream and an eighth of a watermelon! I was tempted to do ice cream and beer. Maybe tomorrow night!