Best Donuts

Options

Replies

• Kib13
    Kib13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like yeasty old fashioned donuts. Like the ones I would make with my Grandma. :) I prefer simple toppings like granulated or powdered sugar. Cinnamon sugar is good too.

I haven't had a donut in a while. They just don't appeal to me much anymore.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Where I live, we have a food truck dedicated to hot, fresh, made-to-order apple cider doughnuts. As soon as the greasy paper sack coated in cinnamon sugar hits your hands, you know that it's gonna be good. <3
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Krispy Kreme here in Australia are definitely overrated. I used to see people boarding their plane from Sydney or Melbourne going back to Perth or Adelaide (before KK reached Perth) with a couple of those dozen boxes full of Krispy Kreme from the airport shop, and imagined how disappointed their family would be when they actually tried them.
    I've tried both plain and fancy donuts from there, but they are just dull.

My favourites would have to be good old fashioned plain, hot, cinnamon sugar donuts from the hot donut fundraising van at the Royal show (fair).

I much prefer churros though. Hot and fresh from a street stall in Mexico with chocolate squirted down the middle!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    OK well I have a solution to the krispy kreme war -
    Mail me all the donuts.

I will taste each of them. ( by taste I really mean I will eat all of them )

And then I will pick the winner :) lol
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    In terms of chains, bottom of the barrel for me is the Shipleys near me. The last time we had some, the icing on those donuts were just stuck together or the frosting melted. It gets hot here, but not enough for something like that to happen that time of the year.

I had a nice blueberry muffin donut from a local place called Hearts Donuts or something at the start of May.

Krispie Creme opened shop in town again last year. It's too far to eat often, but the inside of the place was neat.

I know it would be a sin to compare it to something special, but I really loved Hostess red velvet donuts.

Ha. You must be in Houston.

I love cream cheese donuts. Don't have a preference from where because I usually eat them very infrequently, and someone else usually buys them.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm in Massachusetts and you can't throw a rock without hitting a Dunkin Donuts franchise. Give me one of their jelly donuts and I'm happy.

Although, my sister's homemade mini donuts topped with sugar are rather good too.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    In terms of chains, bottom of the barrel for me is the Shipleys near me. The last time we had some, the icing on those donuts were just stuck together or the frosting melted. It gets hot here, but not enough for something like that to happen that time of the year.

I had a nice blueberry muffin donut from a local place called Hearts Donuts or something at the start of May.

Krispie Creme opened shop in town again last year. It's too far to eat often, but the inside of the place was neat.

I know it would be a sin to compare it to something special, but I really loved Hostess red velvet donuts.

I love cream cheese donuts. Don't have a preference from where because I usually eat them very infrequently, and someone else usually buys them.
    Yup!

Most Mexican bakeries also stock donuts but those are usually covered in fondant or some other crappy frosting. :s

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Can't believe I forgot to mention Round Rock Doughnuts!
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Longs Donuts in Indianapolis! But I'll really take any donut I can find
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    https://www.facebook.com/donutstimecafe

:3

The donut plant in NYC is amazing but I don't go there enough.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I'm with the "Krispy Kreme is overrated" crowd. I think they're the most overrated donut that ever was rated. And yes, I've tried them fresh out of the oven right when the sign goes on. Meh. Didn't see what the fuss was all about. The only thing that could make them more "meh" would be to eat them while drinking Starbucks coffee (the most overrated coffee that ever was rated). I'd rather drink 3 a.m. sludge from the bottom of a gas station coffee pot (but I digress, back to the subject at hand....)

The best donut I've ever had was from a little local shop owned by an old Korean man. He made a chocolate-filled donut with chocolate frosting and semi-sweet chocolate morsels on top of the chocolate frosting. We'd go there right when he opened in the morning and get them fresh and hot out of the oven, when that chocolate was still warm and melty. Every bite of it was pure heaven. You heard angels sing when you bit into it. It was an exquisite foodgasm that would curl your toes and straighten your hair. I'm pretty sure that donut shop, and that donut, was where the phrase "Hnnnngg!" was invented. I learned to say "Kahm sa ham ni da" ("thank you" in Korean) just so I could pay appropriate respect to that wizened old man for the nearly indescribable deliciousness he brought into my life.
    giphy.gif
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    These are the greatest doughnuts on the face of the planet, and it's not close.

http://www.bloedows.com/

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/03/03/best-of-mn-best-donut-shop/
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Chicago has Stan's donuts and Cali has them too, really good.

We have a great place called Dinkels donuts, an old German bakery, they're famous for their cake donuts with chocolate icing, they're really good.

I still like Dunkin Donuts blueberry donuts.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Federal donuts in Philly....and they have fried chicken. Talk about an amazingly delightful calorie bomb.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Krispy Kreme are amazing. Fresh only. Holy crud.

I also love Doughnut Plant and Dough, both in NYC. It's not like NYC is some obscure place nobody's heard of, so I figured it's worth mentioning them on here for anyone who takes trips there or who lives there, to check out.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I was never a big donut fan until we got a Hurts Donuts. I have to save those baby's for long run days. I call them 10 mile donuts. So much yumminess I can never decide which is my favorite, and they always have new ones to try... key lime... red velvet... PB&J... Irish Car Bomb... Monster Cookie Dough... Andes Mint...

I sometimes pick up a random half dozen "for the kids". They have to give me a piece of any flavors I haven't tried to pay the "donut tax" :p
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on most doughnuts - I used to love cake doughnuts made at a local family-run place as a kid but they've been closed for decades. The cake doughnuts I've had since just don't appeal to me. Not even fresh and hot cider doughnuts.

However, I did get one of the potato doughnuts at The Holy Donut in Portland, Maine and it was pretty awesome. Great texture. It was my first and only potato doughnut (apparently a thing in Maine) so there may be tons of better places.

There's also Hypnotic Donuts here, and while most of theirs are just too sweet and overpowering, I do really like their Triple 6 (habanero & passion fruit) and Peacestatio (browned butter and pistachio).

We've got Top Pot as well, but I've never been.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm not a Krispy Kreme person -- was very disappointed in them and did not see the appeal -- but I've never had them hot.

Then you haven't really tried a Krispy Kreme donut. ;)

Oh, I expect that's true.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Chicago has Stan's donuts and Cali has them too, really good.

We have a great place called Dinkels donuts, an old German bakery, they're famous for their cake donuts with chocolate icing, they're really good.

I LOVE Dinkels (it's a full service bakery), but haven't tried their donuts. Clearly, this is something to be rectified (luckily -- or maybe not -- I live very close).