Eat back calories or not

13»

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    nallie562 wrote: »
    Trying to maintain weight. I bike (8-10mi) or run (4mi 2x/wk, one long 6-13 mi 1x/wk) everyday, mixing weights and yoga in on occasion. I'm not very active at work but very active at home. Struggling to find the balance between burn and eating back what I've burnt. I usually eat 1300-1400 calories a day, rarely adding back in what I've burnt, but I actually think maybe I'm not consuming enough.

Honestly, I would eat back calories if I were you. I eat back exercise cals on a regular basis and have maintained/gained (muscle) consistently as desired. When I cut out the "eating back" factor, I ended up losing weight quickly which was not what I had hoped for (and I felt hungry all the time on top of that because of how hard I work out). Listen to your body. Try eating them back little by little, if you seem to gain, cut that in half.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited May 2016
    I eat basically all of my exercise cals to maintain. 1400 can't be your maintenance cals? You must be eating more than you think as I'm 5ft 2 and maintain on 2100-2300 cals.

What the?! Do you lift? OMG! I'm 5'2 and I eat between 1300-1400 a day. I never eat my exercise calories... which are my Fit Bit calories that generally average about 400. So base don that I would say the most I might be able to eat 1800 ( I doubt it though because my current weight loss is minimal) So 2100 -2300 seems crazy! Wow! And YES I do weigh, log, and properly account for ALL my food, I'm actually VERY OCD about it!
    I'm not doubting you, I'm just envious, LOL!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I eat basically all of my exercise cals to maintain. 1400 can't be your maintenance cals? You must be eating more than you think as I'm 5ft 2 and maintain on 2100-2300 cals.

What the?! Do you lift? OMG! I'm 5'2 and I eat between 1300-1400 a day. I never eat my exercise calories... which are my Fit Bit calories that generally average about 400. So base don that I would say the most I might be able to eat 1800 ( I doubt it though because my current weight loss is minimal) So 2100 -2300 seems crazy! Wow! And YES I do weigh, log, and properly account for ALL my food, I'm actually VERY OCD about it!

My stats are similar to Ruthee - I'm 5'2 and maintaining at 120 with a TDEE of about 2200 cals. I don't run, and don't lift heavy. I walk about 15K steps/day and do circuit training about 3 times/week. I eat back all my FitBit calories.
  • DoreenaV1975
    edited May 2016
    WinoGelato wrote: »

My stats are similar to Ruthee - I'm 5'2 and maintaining at 120 with a TDEE of about 2200 cals. I don't run, and don't lift heavy. I walk about 15K steps/day and do circuit training about 3 times/week. I eat back all my FitBit calories.

Wow! Good to know! I'm intrigued... I need to try upping my calories and see if I can do this too... SLOWLY though... cuz if I can eat more and maintain my weight then I'm all for it!
    Although I weigh a lot less...and I like my size, so maybe that's where the difference lies...
    Anyway, sounds like an experiment is in order...Thanks!
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    I am another short girl who eats a hearty amount :wink: I m 5 foot even, 100ish pounds and eat around 2000 calories a day. I spend most of my working day on my feet - but not really running around much. I lift 3 times a week for about 45 minutes. The other 3-4 days a week I ride a stationary bike for 30 minutes. Nothing outrageous - enough to work my heart and lungs.

I would definitely slowly up your calories. You probably can get away with more.

Wow! Good to know! I'm intrigued... I need to try upping my calories and see if I can do this too... SLOWLY though... cuz if I can eat more and maintain my weight then I'm all for it!
    Although I weigh a lot less...and I like my size, so maybe that's where the difference lies...
  • DoreenaV1975
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I am another short girl who eats a hearty amount :wink: I m 5 foot even, 100ish pounds and eat around 2000 calories a day. I spend most of my working day on my feet - but not really running around much. I lift 3 times a week for about 45 minutes. The other 3-4 days a week I ride a stationary bike for 30 minutes. Nothing outrageous - enough to work my heart and lungs.

I would definitely slowly up your calories. You probably can get away with more.

You do way more than me exercise-wise though....
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Plenty of exercise is a sure fire way to up your TDEE
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member

I'm envious also. I'm 5'7" and would GAIN weight at 2000 calories. My TDEE is about 1750 and MFP sets me at 1250 to lose 1 pound a week. They put me at 1500 to lose 0.5 pound a week.
  • WinoGelato
    Plenty of exercise is a sure fire way to up your TDEE
    Right. My TDEE wasn't 2200 when I started MFP. I almost never exercised and when I did it was walking for 30 min a couple times a week. As I started losing and started feeling better I increased my activity, walking every day. About 6 months into my loss I got a FitBit and was averaging 10k steps a day (which was what I had worked up to). At that point my TDEE was probably 1900 or so. Now I average 15K steps per day and my TDEE is actually higher than before I lost the weight because I'm more active.
  • WinoGelato
    edited May 2016
    DebSozo wrote: »

I'm envious also. I'm 5'7" and would GAIN weight at 2000 calories. My TDEE is about 1750 and MFP sets me at 1250 to lose 1 pound a week. They put me at 1500 to lose 0.5 pound a week.

MFP recommended 1200 for me when I first started to lose 1 lb/week. I was always over, but was still losing. I started reading up on these forums about how most people can lose eating more than 1200, so I upped my goal to 1400, then 1500, always eating back exercise calories and still losing. I lost my weight eating between 1600-1900 cals. I've worked over the last three years to increase my activity so that my TDEE is higher and I'm pretty sure I eat more food now after losing 30 lbs than I did before I lost weight.
  • DoreenaV1975
    This is all very informative...thank you!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member

Yes I lift but I also run 5 days a week (3-5 miles) and walk loads too, I'm active so I have to eat more to fuel my body.
    I wish I could eat more than that 2100+ I already do lol, but I know I can't or I'll gain, but I'm happy that I can eat as much as I do :smiley:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I eat back my exercise calories without an extra thought if I'm hungry. Otherwise I ignore them. My body seems to know what to do.