Do you tell the the truth?

Options
13»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't really look at diaries, certainly not with a critical eye. I will review diaries and offer helpful suggestions (including once pointing out that a chicken entry was an unaccurate one and overstating calories and generally giving hints about how to log and find good entries) when people ask or otherwise express concerns. I think people have lots of different ways of dealing with exercise calories (including knowingly logging things with a bigger burn than reality sometimes, logging things I wouldn't because they are down as sedentary and aren't really, logging things as a joke on occasion, who knows), so I mostly just like those. If someone posts about having issues losing and wants advice I would look and give helpful advice about such things, or at least ask questions.

I don't see the role of friends here to monitor your activities and eating or to be a busybody. Some people want that of each other and that's great, but not what I want or am interested in giving. I try to provide friendly support, and to offer suggestions and feedback when asked.

(I've been a dreadful friend lately, as for some reason I haven't been logging my own stuff consistently or participating much on my feed -- I feel guilty about this, of course!)
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Stevo_Ra wrote: »
    You really cant go with what MFP or the internet says in terms of calorie burn. I always use my heart rate monitor and never eat the calories back anyway. I'd bet that's the biggest reason folk don't lose. I burn roughly three quarters of what MFP says I should on most activates.

Lots of times people think "effort" means they burned a lot when in fact "effort" has nothing to it.

Agreed on this. I did a 6.5 mile run yesterday. I do those a few times a week. It was hard yesterday (likely because I had a cruddy night of sleep and I felt lazy). I felt like I put so much effort into that run relative to others of the same distance. Well, my calorie burn was the same (using HR monitor) despite my perceived effort!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, most of my friends know what they're doing and have been good livin' for awhile.
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I really dont understand the logic of people who would alter their dietary log in order to make themselves appear as if they aren't veering away from their goal.

That seems to be a personality disorder, and is just the tip of the iceberg with said person. They are obviously all about presenting, and appearing strong. When meanwhile it's just a facade and suffer from moments of weakness like all of us, but they don't want to own up to it because they obviously think they are better than everyone else, or are ashamed of the fact that their log isn't immaculately aligned with their goal. Meanwhile if you come to this place to judge anyone but yourself, you might want to consider that you might be doing life wrong (nonsensical english intended).
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    The only unsolicited messages I get are generally from admins telling me to cool it. My wife, however, gets them sometimes. While I think it's cool when people want to offer help, I find those that give unwanted advice often give unhelpful advice.

I personally am not very supportive. I don't like or comment much on any type of social media. I mostly come around here to harass my wife and the forums. If a friend asks a question I will answer if I feel equipped to do so.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    If they ask the 'why aren't I losing' question, I say something (gently).

If they dont ask, I keep silent.

This.
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Kind of off topic but related to a few comments made here....my account won't even let me complete my journal entry if I've eaten less than 1200 calories it warns me that I haven't eaten more than 1200. Not that I'm trying to or it happens often, lol I'm much more likely to go over than anything. But if I'm sick for example and still manage to log and I only keep breakfast down...then that's it! I'm nowhere near 1200 calories.

I don't even bother completing entries half the time, unless I work out extremely hard and want to see if everyday was like this where would I be.