Fitbit??

Replies

• gettinghealthyandwell
    gettinghealthyandwell Posts: 13 Member
    I have Fit bit HR and love it I'm going on 2 years having a Fit Bit.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    It depends on your use of it.

When I first got a FitBit, I used it alone and was discouraged because of how few steps I took daily. So, I took it off and left it for months.

Then I noticed a friend had one on. So, I chatted with him about it, added him as a friend on FitBit, connected it to FaceBook and found other friends. Now I get 5-9 times as many steps in a day because its more social for me. Little weekend competitions, week day competitions, 7 day totals to compare, actual friends to chat with about "You reach your goal today?" etc.

So, any version will do you good, but being sure to use it and stay motivated will do you even better!
  • lisaseager45
    lisaseager45 Posts: 32 Member
    Thanks everyone!!! Am sold going for one at weekend ;-)
  • Heartlight441
    Heartlight441 Posts: 278 Member
    I own both the Charge HR and the Blaze! I love love love them!!
  • KrissaJane92
    KrissaJane92 Posts: 33 Member
    I own a hotpink flex. I love it <3
  • marylovesnini
    marylovesnini Posts: 41 Member
    I got a charge HR on Sunday and so far so good. I love it Im getting addicted to it, have not hit 10k yet but I will soon it is really motivating
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Stupid question, but does the app work without a fitbit? because my friend has a phone and she says she can link the phone and the Fitbit app and it counts steps without needing the wristband. Is that correct?
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Stupid question, but does the app work without a fitbit? because my friend has a phone and she says she can link the phone and the Fitbit app and it counts steps without needing the wristband. Is that correct?

I don't think so. I could be wrong. The actual device for tracking steps on the fitbit is based off movement. The only way to really get the same effect with a phone would be to hold it in your hand and swing your arms as you walk... of have the phone accurately track your location via GPS at every instant (terrible for battery life).

The FitBit app syncs with the device to show your steps (monitored by the device and sent to the phone via bluetooth), track friends, goals, etc.

But, I could be wrong on this, there could be a way to use the FitBit app without an actual FitBit... but I'd be surprised, as it'd make their product line (the only thing giving them money as the app is free) nearly pointless to purchase.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    DanaDark wrote: »

I don't think so. I could be wrong. The actual device for tracking steps on the fitbit is based off movement. The only way to really get the same effect with a phone would be to hold it in your hand and swing your arms as you walk... of have the phone accurately track your location via GPS at every instant (terrible for battery life).

The FitBit app syncs with the device to show your steps (monitored by the device and sent to the phone via bluetooth), track friends, goals, etc.

But, I could be wrong on this, there could be a way to use the FitBit app without an actual FitBit... but I'd be surprised, as it'd make their product line (the only thing giving them money as the app is free) nearly pointless to purchase.

That's what I thought but my friend was saying it tracks calories burned and stuff through her phone [I THINK it's an iPhone, not sure...]
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    I have a Zip and I love it. I've been using mine for almost a month and it's been great. Eventually I'm going to upgrade to a One. I'm kind of toying with the thought of the Charge HR, but I'm just worried it won't be as accurate since all of my activity is step based, and I don't want it to inaccurately count steps.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited May 2016
    I have a Zip and I love it. I've been using mine for almost a month and it's been great. Eventually I'm going to upgrade to a One. I'm kind of toying with the thought of the Charge HR, but I'm just worried it won't be as accurate since all of my activity is step based, and I don't want it to inaccurately count steps.

I know that's my same concern. I've got the Alta on lay-by, currently have the zip. The only exercise I do is walking, so I assumed the HR monitor fitbits would be pretty pointless for me.
  • Karihappy
    Karihappy Posts: 116 Member
    I had the Charge HR, but I finally took it off and am going to return it. It always waaaay overestimated my calories burned per day. I was burning 300 to 400 calories more than my bmr, like if I had exercised, when in fact I had done nothing unusual that day, and I consider myself sedentary. I tried changing my stride length, tried putting it on the non-dominant hand and telling it it was my dominant hand, tried taking an inch off my height, everything I read about I tried in order for it to be accurate. I finally had enough when it told me one day I used 1,000 calories over bmr when I had only taken a very short walk. :(
  • healthykaitlin
    healthykaitlin Posts: 91 Member
    Love my charge hr.
  • clark614
    clark614 Posts: 92 Member
    Karihappy, it's not that unusual to burn 300-400 or even 1000 calories over your BMR. Your BMR is the calories your body expends at rest . Not moving at all.
  • mamasmusings
    mamasmusings Posts: 1 Member
    I have a Fitbit Flex and recently upgraded to the Alta. For me, it is a great motivator to move. The main reason I upgraded is because the Alta reminds me to move. If you're looking to track heartrate and serious calories burned, I don't know. But if you want a little something to encourage you and get you moving more, it's the bomb! I would also note that the Flex and the Alta let you change bands while the Charge HR does not. A little perk for us girls who like to change it up :smile:
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    My charge HR has been amazing for me. When I started trying to lose weight I was running steady state every day, but the scale wasn't really budging much and it felt like nothing was happening... then I looked at my heart rate. I had dropped from 79bpm in September to 58bpm in March, it was like a hockey stick! For me, its really helpful to see ALL the changes happening with my body, not just the scale.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    You can use the app without actually having a fitbit. As I recall, during setup you can tell it that you are using a phone as your device and it adjusts accordingly. Tracking steps isn't all that difficult for phones, there are lots of apps that do it (I used Google Fit before I got my Charge HR). They aren't hugely accurate unless you keep your phone in a pocket I found.
  • michelle24p
    michelle24p Posts: 23 Member
    I had a fitbit, then lost it haha. I have lost 32 lbs without one. If you want one go for it. I would be interested in a heart rate monitor at this point in my journey as I have about 10 lbs to go.
  • Allanro
    Allanro Posts: 42 Member
    I have the surge and love it. Add me //www.fitbit.com/user/3YPQZN

Al
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    I have the Surge. I really like it but I do a lot of outdoor cycling so it doesn't bode well with step contests.