13»

Replies

• edoll61
    edoll61 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    m2marsh wrote: »
    edoll61 wrote: »
    synacious wrote: »
    If you haven't lost weight in 4 weeks, either you're eating more than you think, you aren't as active as you thought, or it's a combo of the two.

My calorie goal is about 2900 and some change a day. I'm usually 3-400 below that. I'm also below my fat intake and sugar intake everyday as well. I record nearly everything I eat. With the exercise, I'm not sedentary by any means. I walk a ton at work everyday and do might workouts at home. I'm wondering if working midnights night impact it.

How tall are you? What is your BMI?

That calorie goal seems high to me. I would think you'd need to be closer to 1800 to lose very effectively. Have you consulted a physician or dietitian for calorie recommendations?

I honestly have not, but I am adjusting my calorie intake for sure. Leaning towards around 1800-2200. And in pretty sure my BMI is not good, lol. I'm 5'11
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    pcpop7 wrote: »
    Open up your diary and we can take a look and give help. Are you weighing everything in grams on a food scale ?

I'm keeping to the serving sizes on the labels, which includes using cups to measure as well as the scale. I use that often for my meats. Even if it's not down to the exact gram on some items, it's a miniscule difference. I'm talking say a carrot stick or two or an ounce of milk. Forgive my ignorance, how do you share your diary on here?

Change your Diary Sharing settings to Public here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    adcc407 wrote: »
    If you haven't lost weight in 4 weeks, either you're eating more than you think, you aren't as active as you thought, or it's a combo of the two.

My calorie goal is about 2900 and some change a day. I'm usually 3-400 below that. I'm also below my fat intake and sugar intake everyday as well. I record nearly everything I eat. With the exercise, I'm not sedentary by any means. I walk a ton at work everyday and do might workouts at home. I'm wondering if working midnights night impact it.

2900 kcal seems a lot for someone who is trying to lose weight. 23 yo, 220lb and my goal is 158. I work on my feet as well, and MFP suggested 1640 kcal a day tops. I made my own diet, and i found out that i can fulfill my needs with something like 1100-1300 kcal a day, plus at least 30 mins bicycling and a 30 min walk to work. I lost 9 pounds in less than 2 weeks, and ive never felt more energy before.

The more you weigh and the taller you are, the more calories it takes to maintain your current weight. The deficit gets subtracted from your maintenance weight. The OP weighs almost 100 pounds more than you.

Also, as a 23 yo male you are seriously undereating at 1100-1300 kcal a day, plus an active job and exercise. I'm 26 years older than you and female and lose weight eating 1660 calories per day before exercise, and I exercise. Of course, I don't lose 4.5 pounds per week, but then I don't want to.

What Are the Risks of Rapid Weight Loss?

Rapid weight loss creates physical demands on the body. Possible serious risks include:
    • Gallstones, which occur in 12% to 25% of people losing large amounts of weight over several months
    • Dehydration, which can be avoided by drinking plenty of fluids
    • Malnutrition, usually from not eating enough protein for weeks at a time
    • Electrolyte imbalances, which rarely can be life threatening

Other side effects of rapid weight loss include:
    • Headaches
    • Irritability
    • Fatigue
    • Dizziness
    • Constipation
    • Menstrual irregularities
    • Hair loss
    • Muscle loss
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

That calorie goal seems high to me. I would think you'd need to be closer to 1800 to lose very effectively. Have you consulted a physician or dietitian for calorie recommendations?

I honestly have not, but I am adjusting my calorie intake for sure. Leaning towards around 1800-2200. And in pretty sure my BMI is not good, lol. I'm 5'11

Ok, just entered your info into a TDEE calculator and it's showing that you do have quite a bit of calories to play with. Chosing 'light activity/exercise 1-3 times a week', I got 3747 calories as your TDEE, which is what you need to maintain your current weight. Then I x that times 7 days. Then I subtracted 7,000 calories from that number, which is the equivelant of calories needed to lose 2lbs per week, and then I divided the remaining calories by 7 days. It's giving me a daily calorie allowance of 2,747, to lose 2lbs a week. Can someone check my math? (i used fitness frog's tdee calculator).

eta: if I change it to 'little or no exercise', it breaks down to 2,270 calories a day, to lose 2lbs a week.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

Ok, just entered your info into a TDEE calculator and it's showing that you do have quite a bit of calories to play with. Chosing 'light activity/exercise 1-3 times a week', I got 3747 calories as your TDEE, which is what you need to maintain your current weight. Then I x that times 7 days. Then I subtracted 7,000 calories from that number, which is the equivelant of calories needed to lose 2lbs per week, and then I divided the remaining calories by 7 days. It's giving me a daily calorie allowance of 2,747, to lose 2lbs a week. Can someone check my math? (i used fitness frog's tdee calculator).

eta: if I change it to 'little or no exercise', it breaks down to 2,270 calories a day, to lose 2lbs a week.

Well, you can skip multiplying by 7 and subtracting 7000 calories and dividing by 7 if you realize that a 7,000 calorie weekly deficit is the equivalent of a 1,000 calorie daily deficit. So 3747 calorie TDEE less 1,000 calories yields 2747 to lose 2 lbs a week. Math checked.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

Well, you can skip multiplying by 7 and subtracting 7000 calories and dividing by 7 if you realize that a 7,000 calorie weekly deficit is the equivalent of a 1,000 calorie daily deficit. So 3747 calorie TDEE less 1,000 calories yields 2747 to lose 2 lbs a week. Math checked.

Ha, didn't even think of doing it that way lol :p Thanks for checking!
  • edoll61
    edoll61 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

So maybe the estimate wasn't that far off after all. Still going to try and go lower