Fitbit Flex and Erronous steps/calories

Options
elphie754
elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
I went back to my flex because I absolutely love it. Only problem is, it gives me steps for things that are not walking.

I have started to notice that if I am in the back of an ambulance (work) and the road is particularly bad (it's Nyc they are ALL bad lol) it will give me sometimes 100+ step depending on where I am sitting.

I know how to correct/override calories burned, and do it quite often because my flex loves counting CPR compressions as steps, but wondering if there was an easier way? It kind of annoying to continuously have to go into MFP, chose the time I started and how long performed. Maybe I should just decrease the amount of activity calories I eat back?

Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I use Drivebit. It's a small app that integrates with Fitbit. It is a simple "start" and "stop" app for driving. At the end of your drive, it will log it to Fitbit for you, and erase any erroneous steps for the duration.
  • elphie754
    Options
    ridge4mfp wrote: »
    I use Drivebit. It's a small app that integrates with Fitbit. It is a simple "start" and "stop" app for driving. At the end of your drive, it will log it to Fitbit for you, and erase any erroneous steps for the duration.

Awesome! Will try it. Unfortunately I don't always have time to open an app, but it's better than nothing. Can you go back in time to edit drive time?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    wow if you need a special app to prevent steps while driving I suggest a different tracker.

I use a jawbone and don't worry about that at all ever...

ETA: and yes I have used a fitbit...didn't like it at all.
  • elphie754
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    wow if you need a special app to prevent steps while driving I suggest a different tracker.

I use a jawbone and don't worry about that at all ever...

ETA: and yes I have used a fitbit...didn't like it at all.

I don't have a problem with it in my car at all. It maybe logs 1-5 steps driving in my car. The issue is at work only.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I went back to my flex because I absolutely love it. Only problem is, it gives me steps for things that are not walking.

I have started to notice that if I am in the back of an ambulance (work) and the road is particularly bad (it's Nyc they are ALL bad lol) it will give me sometimes 100+ step depending on where I am sitting.

I know how to correct/override calories burned, and do it quite often because my flex loves counting CPR compressions as steps, but wondering if there was an easier way? It kind of annoying to continuously have to go into MFP, chose the time I started and how long performed. Maybe I should just decrease the amount of activity calories I eat back?

Anyone have any ideas?

Yeah don't eat back these general calories that your body is already accustom to burning. Only count the calories from actual exercise or cardio activity like running jogging or purposely going on a walk.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    What about sticking it your pocket or something while your at work?
  • elphie754
    Options

Anyone have any ideas?

Yeah don't eat back these general calories that your body is already accustom to burning. Only count the calories from actual exercise or cardio activity like running jogging or purposely going on a walk.

My days vary in intensity at work, so I have level set to sedentary and eat back about 40-50% of what I burn because the shift can get rather strenuous at times. Just wondering if that might be too high especially with the added "steps".
    I think you deserve steps for performing chest compressions!

Lol!!! I am never doing them long enough to really be considering them (at least not in my mind), it isn't continuous (2-5 minutes). It ends up adding steps for everything else I do on scene after someone takes over compressions as well.
    What about sticking it your pocket or something while your at work?

Honestly? I'd lose it. That's how I lost my first Fitbit.
  • healthykaitlin
    healthykaitlin Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit charge hr logs flights of stairs... I've gone up maybe 1 today, & am somehow at 4.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit charge hr logs flights of stairs... I've gone up maybe 1 today, & am somehow at 4.

@healthykaitlin - that's because it uses air pressure changes to count " floors ". Thankfully though this is just a fun stat feature and doesn't actually effect calorie burn. I got 20 something one time during a storm.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    For these issues, I think the One is the best model. Does not react to hand/arm movements. Has never given me 'extra' steps while driving either.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

This feature will also measure if you walk up a hill or something that equals about 10 feet (not quite sure) and since it doesn't count towards calories it doesn't really matter. But yes, in windy weather here I can sometimes rack up 80 floors.

But in general I have never paid much attention to getting a couple of hundred erroneous steps, it makes absolutely no difference in the grand scheme of things.

• amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    For these issues, I think the One is the best model. Does not react to hand/arm movements. Has never given me 'extra' steps while driving either.

Same here - I've never had a problem with the One
  • elphie754
    Options

I had the one for a while but absolutely hated it.

@healthykaitlin - that's because it uses air pressure changes to count " floors ". Thankfully though this is just a fun stat feature and doesn't actually effect calorie burn. I got 20 something one time during a storm.

This is why I don't get a tracker that does floors.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

Agree. I don't see the point of spending $100 on a device to do this stuff for me automatically, and then having to do it manually if I care about the results.
  • elphie754
    Options

Agree. I don't see the point of spending $100 on a device to do this stuff for me automatically, and then having to do it manually if I care about the results.

Because other than this slight nuance at work, I love my flex. It help me lose over 60 lbs already (had been 90 but gained some back).
  • ridge4mfp
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ridge4mfp wrote: »

Awesome! Will try it. Unfortunately I don't always have time to open an app, but it's better than nothing. Can you go back in time to edit drive time?
    When I had a Samsung phone, it would let me alter the active entry before I submitted it. I did not see a way to go back in time in Drivebit. However, on the iPhone version I have now, it doesn't seem to allow me to change it at all (could be a user issue). In those cases, you would still have to log it into Fitbit.

• ridge4mfp
    Options

Anyone have any ideas?

Fitbit accounts for this based on your activity level setting.
  • ridge4mfp
    Options

To each his own, but I don't find using Drivebit a bother. My Charge HR has really helped me to lose 87 lbs so far. All the trackers have their own issues. When mine dies or breaks, I will reconsider all the options.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Wrist worn trackers are known for adding bogus steps...