Fitbit Flex and Erronous steps/calories

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,970 Member
    Options
    For these issues, I think the One is the best model. Does not react to hand/arm movements. Has never given me 'extra' steps while driving either.

I settled on the One after reading reviews on Amazon about other models miscounting steps. I love it but am always afraid of forgetting to switch it from clothes or losing it, which the OP said happened to her previous model that she had in a pocket. I work from home and don't wear a bra here, otherwise that's where I'd clip it.
  • ShanghaiJoe
    ShanghaiJoe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My brother in law had the same problem and now wears his around his ankle and it seems to be more accurate. I have a Garmin Vivoactive tracker/watch so wearing on an ankle isn't an option :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    ridge4mfp wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I use Drivebit. It's a small app that integrates with Fitbit. It is a simple "start" and "stop" app for driving. At the end of your drive, it will log it to Fitbit for you, and erase any erroneous steps for the duration.

Awesome! Will try it. Unfortunately I don't always have time to open an app, but it's better than nothing. Can you go back in time to edit drive time?
    When I had a Samsung phone, it would let me alter the active entry before I submitted it. I did not see a way to go back in time in Drivebit. However, on the iPhone version I have now, it doesn't seem to allow me to change it all (could be a user issue). In those cases, you would still have to log it into Fitbit.

Okay-still better than nothing.
    I went back to my flex because I absolutely love it. Only problem is, it gives me steps for things that are not walking.

I have started to notice that if I am in the back of an ambulance (work) and the road is particularly bad (it's Nyc they are ALL bad lol) it will give me sometimes 100+ step depending on where I am sitting.

I know how to correct/override calories burned, and do it quite often because my flex loves counting CPR compressions as steps, but wondering if there was an easier way? It kind of annoying to continuously have to go into MFP, chose the time I started and how long performed. Maybe I should just decrease the amount of activity calories I eat back?

Anyone have any ideas?

Yeah don't eat back these general calories that your body is already accustom to burning. Only count the calories from actual exercise or cardio activity like running jogging or purposely going on a walk.

Fitbit accounts for this based on your activity level setting.

Exactly.
    Wrist worn trackers are known for adding bogus steps...

Yes-I know. Like I said, I already account for this, was just wondering if there was an easier way.

• elphie754
    Options
    My brother in law had the same problem and now wears his around his ankle and it seems to be more accurate. I have a Garmin Vivoactive tracker/watch so wearing on an ankle isn't an option :)

Can't really wear it on my ankle at work. I wear boots that are pretty high that would make it really uncomfortable.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options

@elphie754 , I should add that I have the free version of Drivebit for iPhone. The paid version may have more features.

• elphie754
    Options

@elphie754 , I should add that I have the free version of Drivebit for iPhone. The paid version may have more features.

I downloaded the free version. The paid version only seems to offer the ability to name your commutes which seems pointless to me lol.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I went back to my flex because I absolutely love it. Only problem is, it gives me steps for things that are not walking.

Anyone have any ideas?

It isn't a pedometer, it records movement / acceleration and expresses it as "steps" but fundamentally it's measuring something else, as your experience confirms.

Your body is doing stuff in response to the forces exerted on it, and it's possible (I have no idea) that the outcome is an accurate measure of effort expended.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Anyone have any ideas?

It isn't a pedometer, it records movement / acceleration and expresses it as "steps" but fundamentally it's measuring something else, as your experience confirms.

Your body is doing stuff in response to the forces exerted on it, and it's possible (I have no idea) that the outcome is an accurate measure of effort expended.

You this. It isn't just a step counter. It is an activity tracker. If you are driving you are active. Maybe not as active as if you are walking but you are still moving around. The 100 "steps" it gives you while diving is pretty negligible and is likely a reasonable reflection of your energy expenditure for the thing you are doing. Chest compressions are heavy work and again your tracker is reflecting that.

Relax and trust the gadget.
  • elphie754
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Anyone have any ideas?

You this. It isn't just a step counter. It is an activity tracker. If you are driving you are active. Maybe not as active as if you are walking but you are still moving around. The 100 "steps" it gives you while diving is pretty negligible and is likely a reasonable reflection of your energy expenditure for the thing you are doing. Chest compressions are heavy work and again your tracker is reflecting that.

Relax and trust the gadget.

Except when I don't adjust for these things manually, I don't lose the expected weight.