Are fat people just lazy and make excuses?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Also, when I was fat I spent a lot of my time working long hours on two small businesses, cooking almost all of my family's food entirely from scratch, and working to make my home particularly lovely. I wasn't lazy, but I was sedentary! Now I prioritize myself much higher!
  • MynameisChester
    MynameisChester Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Also, when I was fat I spent a lot of my time working long hours on two small businesses, cooking almost all of my family's food entirely from scratch, and working to make my home particularly lovely. I wasn't lazy, but I was sedentary! Now I prioritize myself much higher!

Great job! I would like though is how did you make yourself a priority when life gets in the way (long work hours, taking care of family)? Did you have to make other sacrifices, find a new way of doing things, etc?
  • charleycartee
    charleycartee Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    mug_on_wood_1024x1024.jpg
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I don't think lazy has much to do with it. An obese person could sit on the couch ALL DAY and lose weight, as long as they eat less than they burn sitting on the couch.

Activity is not a requirement to be thin.
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    That is part of it, but not the whole story. Fat people have screwed up hormones too, and that would tend to perpetuate their situation, which slows down their results. I say "they" but it was once me too. Additionally, they get a lot of bad advice, follow it, and lose hope. This is often perceived as laziness.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,418 Member
    Options
    All generalizations are false. Even this one. ;)
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself, not overweight people as a whole. When I was big, I had 2 small children, and I was not lazy. However, any physical activity beyond keeping my house clean, cooking meals and looking after my kids didn't happen. When I took my kids to the park every day, I sat on a bench and read vs getting up and playing with them.

I was a very engaged person, just not engaged in physical activity. Also, when you are very overweight, lots of movement can be uncomfortable, and depending on where you are at, even embarrassing.
  • rajushank84
    rajushank84 Posts: 10 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    No. Fat people don't have the right information, and a ton of mis-information. They are being fed too much myth and misinformation, they have tried a lot of things, and they didn't see results. So they don't trust you. Its not that they didn't try, they did try at some point and gave up because it didn't work.

When I say misinformation, I am including all the people who advocate doing just calorie counting and cardio to lose a ton of weight, and their metabolism goes so low (because of losing whatever muscle mass is left) that their TDEE is at an all-time low, so the moment they start eating even a little bit they are gaining fat again. That's the part where you go off and blame your hormones, genetics, __insert other theory here__. The fact is, you lost your lean mass, so your body doesn't burn as much energy as it did before. You should be building your lean mass, not counting it as "weight" and losing it. (fat loss vs weight loss).

It is so difficult to fight all this myth and present fact and science to fat people, especially unsolicited, because they have seen so many theories coming from all sides all their lives that they don't know what to believe anymore. There is so much myth that actual fact gets lost as just another theory. "Wine helps you lose fat", stuff like that.

And then there's the "clean eating" myth where you don't even track your intake, you do a lot of running and absolutely nothing happens. I don't know about everyone else, but as a fat person I spun my wheels for a long time doing that stuff. Running a lot everyday and not seeing the scale budge, can be really demotivating.

Don't even get me started on those belts and products that are supposed to "burn" your stomach fat. Crunches.. (smh).

I have google - and myfitnesspal - to thank for my fitness! So.. no, I don't think fat people are unmotivated or lazy, I think there is too much misinformation clouding their judgment. I predict a new wave of fitness once people figure it out on a widespread level. (thanks to the Internet).
  • angfirst
    angfirst Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    People value different things, so perhaps some overweight people just don't care. I know that was me! I definitely was not lazy before, nor am I now. My priorities have just changed, and now losing weight is a priority of mine.