Strategies for exercising when feeling depressed?

Options
2»

Replies

• Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you just have to make it a non-negotiable part of your day. You can't rely on motivation to lose weight, most of your progress will come from the days where you're bored or hate it but do it anyway.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Walk. Just Do It. You'll be glad u did!
  • AllSUMLIFE
    AllSUMLIFE Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    One of the things that helped me significantly when I was struggling with depression was to write down how I felt after I would successfully work out (especially on days I didn't want to). It was rarely more than a few words so it only took a few seconds. But those words (my words) served as a huge motivation to me when I needed them on the especially depressed days.

Hope that helps! Hang in there!
    - Sarah
    All+SUM LIFE
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I curl up and hibernate when I am depressed. Walking and running are pretty well guaranteed to cheer me up (love those endorphins) and the pool is soothing.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am bipolar and when I am depressed it is crippling. It's easy to say "just do it" or "be committed." It's not that easy. But after years of struggle, I've learned a very important thing and it's making such a difference with dealing with my depression. Even though I cannot (always) control my brain, I can control my reaction to how I feel. I have choices and options. It is very hard to see this when you're drowning, so I hope that you are getting counseling if your depression has been going on more than a month. I am also medicated. Period. But if you are not clinically depressed, then all of the suggestions above may help you. Music, music could be key.