Does anyone use magnesium oil for deodorant?

Options
TheDevastator
TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
It says on the bottle it can be used as a deodorant. I tried some today but not sure how well it works yet. According to certain websites it's one of the best ways to get magnesium other than diet.

Replies

• TheDevastator
    Options
    But what is deodorant besides an oily, basic substance usually with some kind of scent?
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I don't know how well it would work, but I wouldn't advise trying it. Magnesium oil burns like hell when you apply it.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    But what is deodorant besides an oily, basic substance usually with some kind of scent?

Magnesium "oil" is a high strength solution of a magnesium salt in water, so it doesn't have much in common with deodorants. There are also antiperspirants to add to the confusion.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Oh, my. It is a good idea to understand deodorant and antiperspirant and how they work.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Ew. :sick:
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I make my own from coconut oil, baking soda, and arrowroot. Not familiar with magnesium.
  • TheDevastator
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It seems to work good so far. It does burn on open wounds but not on unbroken skin unless you are allergic to it.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I've tried it on a few occasions and it burns too much.

I use baking soda, which can also irritate the skin at first until you get used to it and find the proper amount to apply.

Occasionally I'll do a sniff check at the gym and it's usually all systems go from here, Jack. :smiley:

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I make my own from coconut oil, baking soda, and arrowroot. Not familiar with magnesium.

What role does the arrowroot play in that?

• nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Why not just use Crystal deodorant? It's all natural...no chemicals. Can't you get magnesium from food?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Magnesium makes me really sleepy.
    Use Toms deodorant - google it.
    Sold at Walmart.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options

What role does the arrowroot play in that?

The arrowroot absorbs moisture and keeps you dry. You can also use cornstarch if you can't find arrowroot.

I have to say that my favorite natural deoderant is Primal Pit Paste. It's coconut oil based and uses arrowroot and essential oils to keep you dry and stop the stink. They all smell really good! Jacked Up Jasmine is my favorite, though.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Sold at Walmart.

I've tried it before, and just no. I don't reccommend this product for anyone. An hour after I left the house I was stopping at cvs to get real deodorant.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I use CRYSTAL (ingredients Potassium Alum) because I am allergic to almost everything else.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    nm212 wrote: »
    Why not just use Crystal deodorant? It's all natural...no chemicals. Can't you get magnesium from food?
    Magnesium is better absorbed through the skin than digesting pills.
    This is all natural.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    Sold at Walmart.

I have tried tom's of maine deodorant but that just covers the odor. This magnesium oil seems to neutralize the odor.