How much does your weight fluctuate as your TOM approaches?

Options
Womona
Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
Mine fluctuates as much as 5 pounds! I know it's got to be water weight, but I also find I'm ravenous as my period approaches and I am always over my goal of 1350 calories the closer I get to my period. What has your experience been? Is this normal?

Replies

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's normal. I've gone up 10 lbs sometimes ... and I'll eat at maintenance when I get that hungry. Then by the end of my period, all my water weight is gone. Sometimes I'll even lose my weekly pound or less, or maybe nothing at all. But I keep on going with my logging and don't let it bother me when that happens. :)
  • k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily have the water weight issue ( that I can tell ), but I do what to eat everything in the house right before my period and when I am ovulating! It is so frustrating! I want all the salty foods.
  • violet_wister
    violet_wister Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Easily 5lbs, which is gone by the day my period finishes.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    But in answer to the question ...

In the past, I might have gained anywhere from 0.5 kg to 1 kg prior to a period. However, the last few periods I've lost anywhere from 0.5 kg to 1.5 kg prior to my periods. I lost 1.5 kg in the days leading up to my most recent one.

As for hunger ... occasionally I'll be a bit more hungry than usual, but then I'll try to exercise a bit more so I can eat a bit more.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself when I'm on my period because I bloat like crazy. I also eat at maintenance because I'm hungry and I'm not depriving my already irritable self.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    It is always exactly 1.5lbs (700gr) for me both at the first day of my period and at ovulation. The weight is gone a few days later. I'm 69kg (152lbs).
    Both occasions I'm ravenous and nothing can make me feel full. My weight fluctuates 1.5lbs regardless if I go on and satisfy my hunger or if I don't.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I bounce around for the week of my period, and possibly the week after. I can go up 1- 1.5 kg in total, but it varies day by day. I then have two weeks of good losses before it starts again.

I am not eating any differently during my period, except, on occasion, a little less as I don't fancy much on painful days.
  • Adamsa1969
    Adamsa1969 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    From Monday to Thursday I went up 5 pounds...was depressed but I knew I was more active this week and my tracking was on point. Then, later that day, I started and gave a sigh of relief!!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    My weight does not vary with my cycle at all. Makes me wonder if there is something wrong with me. :(
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    8-10 lbs for about a week and a few days.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    When my appetite spikes up premenstrually, I honor it and eat at maintenance for a few days. Most times I add a snack and have a slightly larger dinner, and/or a treat.

I'm usually up a few pounds before it starts and -2 net a week after it starts.
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I don't usually gain, maybe a lb. or so if anything, but I sit at the same weight for a week and then what I should have lost comes off after it's over. This happens during ovulation as well.
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My body retains roughly 5lb of water the day before and the duration of my period and about 3lb of water when I ovulate. I still weigh myself every day though, I get a "whoosh" the day after my cycle ends that I like to see.
  • critterbug15
    critterbug15 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I asked a similar question the other day... my reason for coming to the forum a'tall. :) I actually hold onto weight for a week or two after my period and then it comes off. It's usually 2 pounds or so.
  • katie22mfp
    katie22mfp Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Well I hadn't lost anything on Wednesday and am due on tomorrow! Hoping this is the reason!
  • critterbug15
    critterbug15 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    As an aside, it's amazing (and quite functionally "beautiful") to me that our systems are driven by the same basic hormones and there's such diversity in experience. How very cool.
  • paganvegan
    paganvegan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I usually gain about 8 lbs bloated weight then lose it all plus more when it ends
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I usually go up 2 or 3 pounds the couple of days before it starts and don't go all the way back down until around the last day. didn't happen this time though.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I usually go up 3 to 5 pounds and have really bad cramps that time of the month