Running in the heat - UK

Options
2»

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm running/walking for about 50 mins. Taking it easier and walking more and going out after 9pm.
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I love running in the heat .... and I am seriously missing it here at the moment.

I find that hydration is the key. Pre-load and if you are doing more than 5kms or are an excessive sweater take some with you for mid run top-up. Avoid the hottest part of the day and run early (or late) to avoid the direct sunshine.

I used to run at about 7-8pm here during the summer after the bite had gone from the sun ...but while it was still humid and around 35-37C. I gauge a good run by how much sweat I can wring out of my socks when i get home.
  • DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have been enjoying running in the heat, but I do drink a lot of water before I go, while I'm running and when I get back. The best place I've found to run is by water, It's a little cooler and shaded by trees, also there is normally a breeze. I always make sure I'm wearing a cap to keep the sun out of my eyes and off my head to prevent heat stroke. Also I do slow down, I don't run as fast as I normally do, I find this does help, I normally go out between 7 - 8pm the sun is starting to ease off a little then. Hope this helps.