No carbs for 10 days

Options
I'm thinking of starting this no carb challenge. Is that even possible? No carbs? Will i lose a good amount of weight, at least 5lbs?

Replies

• tjsims88
    tjsims88 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You are going to only eat meat? Why?!? All you need is a calorie deficit.

Idk.. My friends are doing it :( is it true that if I'm not eating carbs, my body will be forced to burn fat?!?!
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    tjsims88 wrote: »

Idk.. My friends are doing it :( is it true that if I'm not eating carbs, my body will be forced to burn fat?!?!

It's not going to burn anything if you're still over eating. Wildly changing your diet is usually not conducive to results unless it's something sustainable and practical. Low carb diets are crash diets that may work for a week or so. Honestly from personal experience I would NEVER recommend low carb to anyone. After a day or two your body will begin to revolt. You'll have crippling headaches, zero energy and just feel like garbage all the time. All so you can quickly lose 2-3 pounds?? Totally not worth it. Find some healthy meal plans, learn how to calorie count and weigh your food. Hit the gym hard. That's really the ONLY way to properly lose weight in a healthy manner. Good results require hard work
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    That sounds completely miserable. You could go LOW carb (like under 100 g a day), but no carb sounds like torture. And like everyone else already said, you'll only lose water weight which will immediately come right back. The only way to lose fat is to eat in a deficit.
  • Etsar73
    Etsar73 Posts: 260 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have lost 16kg eating carbs everyday of my weightloss journey. I even eat crappy processed carbs. I just make sure l stay at or below my calorie goal for the day. I did Atkins several years ago and lost some weight but it wasn't sustainable for me. I have lost so much more weight counting calories alone. It fits much better with where l see myself after l finish losing the weight.

Oh and l lost most of it without any exercise. I only started that recently.
  • specialkally
    specialkally Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Low carb, low fat has worked for me but I don't think doing it for 10 days will help. You lose a lot of water in the first week alone before burning fat. Calorie counting doesn't work me so bare in mind everyone is different.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Op if I remember rightly you had another thread about a gimmicky thing?

I think you need to focus on basics - eat less, move more ( calorie count to make sure you are doing so) and stop looking for ' magic answers'
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options

And if your friends jumped off a bridge because they said it would burn fat, would you?

You can lose weight eating carbs.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I tried to do this for a month as a challenge. I was already eating a very low carb high fat ketogenic diet (<30g of carbs per day) so it wasn't a big switch for me. I did not complete the month. I did some travelling and was staying with relatives, plus we had some vegetarian house guests staying with us for a week so I went with what was easiest.

I did enjoy the simplicity of cooking with only meat, cheese and eggs. I felt fine and kept my sodium levels up because I am aware that water and electrolytes are lost when carbs are lowered (carbs cause water retention). Often supplementing sodium with 3000-5000mg per day is needed to maintain your electrolyte levels. If you do that you will avoid the headaches, brain fog, fatigue and other symptoms of low electrolytes.

I do know a few people who eat zero carb most of the time. They feel better eating that way. I know just as many who tried it and found it wasn't something they wanted to do long term, or needed to do. Try it if you are interested but make sure you supplement with salter you will feel miserable and unfairly judge the diet as uncomfortable and not worth it.

Btw, every person who has tried it, that I know of, has lost some weight on it. It could just be the thermogenic properties of protein and fat, or it could be reduced appetite, but we all lost so e weight. And yes, most people lose a couple of pounds of water weight when they severely cut carbs, but a couple of pounds is all it usually is.

Good luck
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Then what are you going to do after the ten days? If it's not sustainable in the long run you will just end right back up where you started. Just eat right, don't limit anything, but be smart about it, track your calories, and exercise. No fancy diets about it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs is just one of many ways of managing an energy deficiency...i.e. calorie deficit. Energy deficiency is how you lose weight...when you consume less energy than your body requires to maintain the status quo, you burn stored energy (body fat) to make up the difference.

Generally low carb will result in quicker initial weight loss, but most of it is water and glycogen, not fat. When you start consuming carbs again you will replenish glycogen stores and hold onto more water so you will see a jump on the scale.

Also, no carb would be pretty tough sledding...basically you would have to eat high fat and moderate protein. Things like veggies, fruit, etc are all carbs...so no carb would mean you're not eating any veggies or fruit which seems a bit ridiculous to me, particularly from a nutrition/health standpoint.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    OP going low carb takes planning and preparation. Going extremely low carb (keto) even more so. No carb (essentially just meat and fat) is going to be even harder, and nearly impossible to get appropriate nutrition on.

It really doesn't sound like you've thought through this at all and the fact that you said "because my friends are trying it" reinforces that.

Any temporary change is likely going to yield temporary results. Is that what you're looking for? An extremely restrictive (and likely unsatisfying) approach that may result in a few pounds of water weight being shed that will likely pop right back on when you return to your old way of eating.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Sounds like you need some better-educated friends.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Low carb, low fat has worked for me but I don't think doing it for 10 days will help. You lose a lot of water in the first week alone before burning fat. Calorie counting doesn't work me so bare in mind everyone is different.

I've heard doing both low carb and low fat at the same time is a bad idea but cannot find the reference. Perhaps @nvmomketo can help me out.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    And low fat isn't healthy, either (you need fat for brain function, for fat soluable vitamins, hormone regulation, digestion, etc), low fat never helped anyone....CICO is science and works. It will work if done correctly (weighing food, logging with correct entries, not choosing a massive deficit, keeping realistic expectations). Yes, CICO works for everyone, sorry...its just easy to underestimate food intake and overestimate calorie burns, so I can see why some would assume CICO doesn't work.