No carbs for 10 days

Options

Replies

• mackardi
    mackardi Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Currently doing low carb (carbs from healthy sources like fruits and veggies) because I found myself heavily dependent on granola bars throughout the day. I'm on my 5th day and I haven't weighed myself but I feel lighter and more energetic. It's also helped me with changing up the foods in eating and trying new recipes. I prep a couple days worth of snacks for work at a time and I feel amazing.

I will definitely be adding carbs back into my diet, in moderation and healthy whole grain carbs instead of 3 granola bars in a day. I did this because carbs are a problem area for me and I wanted to give myself time to explore other food options :)
  • hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    tjsims88 wrote: »
    You are going to only eat meat? Why?!? All you need is a calorie deficit.

Idk.. My friends are doing it :( is it true that if I'm not eating carbs, my body will be forced to burn fat?!?!

That's the theory behind atkins. From my personal experience it works, but then again i was at a calorie deficit so...being sensitive to carbs im biased towards low carb dieting.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Define carbs.
  • hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Anything that doesnt come from an animal
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I USED to do low carb....now those extremes have led me to 3 kidney procedures for kidneys stones too big to pass. Just eat real foods. Sure it takes a little longer but your health is worth it. Doing it to follow your friends sounds like peer pressure to follow the crowd. Be your own individual. I am such a mom. But hey, i tell my kids the same stuff. If all of your friends jumped off the Brooklyn bridge you would too? Make good choices! Damn I told my son that last night when I dropped him off at his friend's house. Why not ask your friends to go for a walk or meet to play tennis. Don't be in competition with anyone but yourself. After low carbing it i lost fast and gained it back FAST too!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Define carbs.

No carbs would seem to mean no foods that contain carbs, no? So basically nothing but meat and oils, for the most part.

Good question, though -- people often use words in surprising ways around here.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Define carbs.

No carbs would seem to mean no foods that contain carbs, no? So basically nothing but meat and oils, for the most part.

My thought was "define carbs" too.

I've ready of people proclaiming that they are on no-carb diets that consisted almost entirely of veggies and dairy. :confused:

Of course, what they meant was ... they weren't eating bread.

Yeah, I've often seen folks surprised by the fact that there's carbs in fruit, veggies and milk.. They're usually thinking carbs equal bread, sweet treats and junk type foods in general.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Carbs = white foods like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, mystery flavor Airheads, etc.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm thinking of starting this no carb challenge. Is that even possible? No carbs? Will i lose a good amount of weight, at least 5lbs?

This is just another diet fad you can safely ignore.

Here are a whole heap more diet myths you don't need to bother with. Best wishes.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10174846/mainstream-diet-myths-debunked
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of starting this no carb challenge. Is that even possible? No carbs? Will i lose a good amount of weight, at least 5lbs?

@tjsims88 the results are unknown. Oct 2014 I cut out sugar and all forms of grains meant I was (still am) eating <50 grams of carbs daily.

For six weeks I did not lose the first pound but I did lose a lot of my fat face and one inch at the waist during those first six weeks.

Actually if you can cut out carbs or at least eat <50 grams of carbs daily (nutritional ketosis in most cases) for 10 days (after 10 days my cravings were fading fast) you should have no trouble doing it for 1000 days. I have being doing it for 575 days at this point in time. I primary goal was to prevent my premature death by managing my joint and muscle pain. That occurred in just 30 days back in 2014 and my health continues to improve.

Best of success.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You seem to be doing this on a whim or because your friends are or whatever. There are sensible ways to eat low carb if you want to do that. If it's just some crash diet for immediate gratification, it's probably not gonna work out that great.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Carbs = white foods like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, mystery flavor Airheads, etc.

Uh no.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Define carbs.

My thought was "define carbs" too.

I've ready of people proclaiming that they are on no-carb diets that consisted almost entirely of veggies and dairy. :confused:

Of course, what they meant was ... they weren't eating bread.

Yeah, I've often seen folks surprised by the fact that there's carbs in fruit, veggies and milk.. They're usually thinking carbs equal bread, sweet treats and junk type foods in general.

Which is one of the more annoying things in these conversations. Especially since their "carbs" often are 50% or more fat (like many potato chips and fries and many kinds of sweet treats).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Define carbs.

Thus the reason I asked.
    Alluminati wrote: »
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited May 2016
    Options
    hhazzouri wrote: »
    Anything that doesnt come from an animal

So olive oil is a carb.
  • dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    hhazzouri wrote: »
    So olive oil is a carb.

A food cannot be 'a carb'. Carbs are one part of the macronutrients that make up a food. Meat has protein and fat but typically not a lot of carbs. Bread has carbs but very little fat or protein.

To the discussion of fibre - it is a carbohydrate. Fibre, starch and sugar are the groups within carbs. Fibre cannot be broken down into the type of glucose that the body uses for fuel.

No carbs makes the body burn fat, its true, but you have to replace the fuel you no longer get from carbs in your diet with fat. So you have to eat slightly less fat than you use in fuel - controlled by your calorie intake. That means once you're over the initial stages of water weight loss you will lose at a rate decided by your calories deficit.

Low Carbs and Low Fat is a really dumb idea - your body isn't getting any fuel. You can't use protein like either of these things so you'll end up tired, run down and very quickly off track if not ill.

There's a lot of partial answers and misguidance on here but one thing I agree on is that the asker needs to do more research before deciding this is something she wants.

Personally low carbs works for me because I don't crave sugar, the extra protein stops me getting hungry and my blood sugar levels are more controlled. But I did a lot of research before I went into this, there are other things to watch out for.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited May 2016
    Options

A food cannot be 'a carb'. Carbs are one part of the macronutrients that make up a food. Meat has protein and fat but typically not a lot of carbs. Bread has carbs but very little fat or protein.

To the discussion of fibre - it is a carbohydrate. Fibre, starch and sugar are the groups within carbs. Fibre cannot be broken down into the type of glucose that the body uses for fuel.

No carbs makes the body burn fat, its true, but you have to replace the fuel you no longer get from carbs in your diet with fat. So you have to eat slightly less fat than you use in fuel - controlled by your calorie intake. That means once you're over the initial stages of water weight loss you will lose at a rate decided by your calories deficit.

Low Carbs and Low Fat is a really dumb idea - your body isn't getting any fuel. You can't use protein like either of these things so you'll end up tired, run down and very quickly off track if not ill.

There's a lot of partial answers and misguidance on here but one thing I agree on is that the asker needs to do more research before deciding this is something she wants.

Personally low carbs works for me because I don't crave sugar, the extra protein stops me getting hungry and my blood sugar levels are more controlled. But I did a lot of research before I went into this, there are other things to watch out for.

If I understand the quote mishap, you're replying to me. Yes, yes, I know a food can't be a carb, per se. Nor is it accurate to say if it doesn't come from an animal it's a carb (which is what I was replying to)

Limiting heavily refined carbs (and added sugars) works best for me, and it ends up being a bit lower in overall carbs.