No carbs for 10 days

Options

Replies

• dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    Options

If I understand the quote mishap, you're replying to me. Yes, yes, I know a food can't be a carb, per se. Nor is it accurate to say if it doesn't come from an animal it's a carb (which is what I was replying to)

Limiting heavily refined carbs (and added sugars) works best for me, and it ends up being a bit lower in overall carbs.

Apologies, still getting used to the etiquette and technique of a forum, sorry if I caused offence!
  • hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    hhazzouri wrote: »
    Anything that doesnt come from an animal

So olive oil is a carb.

olive is an animal
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

If I understand the quote mishap, you're replying to me. Yes, yes, I know a food can't be a carb, per se. Nor is it accurate to say if it doesn't come from an animal it's a carb (which is what I was replying to)

Limiting heavily refined carbs (and added sugars) works best for me, and it ends up being a bit lower in overall carbs.

Apologies, still getting used to the etiquette and technique of a forum, sorry if I caused offence!

smiles
  • hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    Options

So olive oil is a carb.

Olive is an animal
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Define carbs.

No carbs would seem to mean no foods that contain carbs, no? So basically nothing but meat and oils, for the most part.

Good question, though -- people often use words in surprising ways around here.

Thus the reason I asked.
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Carbs = white foods like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, mystery flavor Airheads, etc.

Yeah, I get it. I think people should use words properly, though. The abuse of the term "carb" in particular, as well as the assumption that all carbs are somehow bad and all "junk foods" = "carbs" (forget that they are fat and other things too) drives me crazy. It's like people can't be bothered to learn a thing about nutrition before making proclamations.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Define carbs.

No carbs would seem to mean no foods that contain carbs, no? So basically nothing but meat and oils, for the most part.

Good question, though -- people often use words in surprising ways around here.

Thus the reason I asked.
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Carbs = white foods like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, mystery flavor Airheads, etc.

Yeah, I get it. I think people should use words properly, though. The abuse of the term "carb" in particular, as well as the assumption that all carbs are somehow bad and all "junk foods" = "carbs" (forget that they are fat and other things too) drives me crazy. It's like people can't be bothered to learn a thing about nutrition before making proclamations.

Not disagreeing with you. Definitely.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

So olive oil is a carb.

Olive is an animal

OH! Now I get it!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options

So olive oil is a carb.

olive is an animal

Olive is the other reindeer. :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

So olive oil is a carb.

Olive is an animal

Popeye_Laughing-animated-tumblr_kwe7s3p92I1qze5g2o1_500.gif
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    There really is no need to go NO carb - I'm just thinking how your energy will really take a nose dive from the lack of carbs... they're not the devil you know.
    Losing weight is all about calories in/out - I seem to have to keep saying this over and over, day in day out LOL
    but it really is that simple, eat less than we burn and we lose, simple :smiley:
  • BinaryFu
    BinaryFu Posts: 240 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    There really is no need to go NO carb - I'm just thinking how your energy will really take a nose dive from the lack of carbs... they're not the devil you know.
    Losing weight is all about calories in/out - I seem to have to keep saying this over and over, day in day out LOL
    but it really is that simple, eat less than we burn and we lose, simple :smiley:

^^^^^^^^^^ So much of this. ^^^^^^^^^^

I lose 2lbs/week (the maximum safe and sane amount to lose) by counting calories. CICO (Calories In Vs. Calories Out) works.

If you could see my diary, you'd freak out if you believed that no carb = weight loss. I have stuff like, Noodle Bake (Made with things like, 3 types of cheese...pasta...yummy tomato sauce...), spaghetti, pizza, ice cream, etc etc etc.

But I lose 2lbs/week.

And I've been doing that since Feb. 25th of this year. I've dropped 24lbs so far. CICO is easy, straight-forward, based 100% in science and simply put - works.

No need for fancy fad diets, no need for harming yourself by dropping quick energy foods out of your diet. Just. Count. Calories.

And if by doing so you find yourself without enough calories to enjoy the foods you want? No problem - work for those foods by exercising. Burned calories = extra calories for the day. Again, it's all about CICO.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    You'd be better off doing a squat challenge! ;)
  • tjsims88
    tjsims88 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    BinaryFu wrote: »

I lose 2lbs/week (the maximum safe and sane amount to lose) by counting calories. CICO (Calories In Vs. Calories Out) works.

If you could see my diary, you'd freak out if you believed that no carb = weight loss. I have stuff like, Noodle Bake (Made with things like, 3 types of cheese...pasta...yummy tomato sauce...), spaghetti, pizza, ice cream, etc etc etc.

But I lose 2lbs/week.

And I've been doing that since Feb. 25th of this year. I've dropped 24lbs so far. CICO is easy, straight-forward, based 100% in science and simply put - works.

No need for fancy fad diets, no need for harming yourself by dropping quick energy foods out of your diet. Just. Count. Calories.

And if by doing so you find yourself without enough calories to enjoy the foods you want? No problem - work for those foods by exercising. Burned calories = extra calories for the day. Again, it's all about CICO.

If it's all about calories in vs calories out. I should be able to eat cookies, candy and chips instead of fruits and veggies all I want as long as I don't go over my 1500 cal goal? Why are we told what to eat and what not to eat in order to lose weight?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    tjsims88 wrote: »

But I lose 2lbs/week.

If it's all about calories in vs calories out. I should be able to eat cookies, candy and chips instead of fruits and veggies all I want as long as I don't go over my 1500 cal goal? Why are we told what to eat and what not to eat in order to lose weight?

Because most people are misinformed.
  • Rebekahl87
    Rebekahl87 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'd be so sad without carbs!! Fruits and veggies have carbs, but they're still good for you. :smile: What are your daily calorie and macro goals? The key to losing weight is a healthy balance in your macros and staying within your calorie range without starving yourself. Message me if you want to chat about it and feel free to add me as a friend!
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options

But I lose 2lbs/week.

I am not sure who is telling you what to and what not to eat but there have been quite of few responses from people who really know their stuff.

And it truly is about calories in vs calories out. I eat cookies, candies, chips AND fruits and veggies. It's all about moderation.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

But I lose 2lbs/week.

For weight loss? You could just eat cookies, candy, and chips. You probably would be hungry and not feel great on that diet, but you would lose weight. For general health, though, you should try to include a variety of foods and at least some veggies.

We're told to avoid this or that for weight loss because people are trying to sell a program, magazine, pill, or other product to you and they choose to use a gimmick to set themselves apart rather than address the actual fact.

Are you familiar with either of these cases?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

and

http://abc7.com/health/teacher-loses-60-pounds-while-eating-nothing-but-mcdonalds/705916/
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

But I lose 2lbs/week.

Because people are trying to sell things. In theory you could lose weight on the diet you just described, but I imagine few people could stick to that calorie goal eating those foods. At least personally, I would not feel satiated and would get low blood sugars, and so I would end up going over 1500.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

But I lose 2lbs/week.

Because most people are misinformed.

^^This.

Also, because lots of people don't understand proper portion sizes, so they overeat the foods they like very easily. Then they blame the food itself as the reason they gained weight, rather than the fact that they were eating too much.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

But I lose 2lbs/week.

Those rules are created by weight loss 'diet' and supplement companies. They use it as a 'secret', and desperate people will pay to reveal said secret and shell out money. Eating everything in moderation is the healthy way. We're also told how we should eat, when we should eat as well as what. Stupid unnecessary rules.

I lost over 80lbs including the foods that I love... All I did was weigh every single solid and semi solid food I ate, and measure liquids only as well as log accurately.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10390604/84lbs-down-more-than-half-way-there

I didn't cut out a thing. I follow science not some made up junk rules. ;)