SUGAR - The culprit!

Options

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I am watching amount of sugar I eat using Fitness Pal. I was wondering if that number indicates daily added sugar or total sugar. For instance, a soup may have natural ingredients that contain sugar and then also added sugar. You can tell this by reading the ingredients label. I wasn't sure what that sugar number represents in the fitness pal program.

It's total sugars. Since sugar is sugar is sugar... :)

I switched tracking sugar on MFP to tracking fibre, instead. I'm already tracking carbs and I don't have a medical reason to specifically track sugar.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Nope. Cutting calories is what causes the weight loss, not cutting "sugar".

By the way-fruit and veggies also contain sugar.

Even dairy things contain high sugar. Not from added sugar, its part of milk content. It raises your sugar macros
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else watching their sugar intake? I've been tracking my sugar like a bloodhound and have noticed significant losses (approx 2 lbs a week) and other changes - such as sleeping better, MORE energy (if you could believe that? and I generally don't feel like crap anymore.

Anyone else have these experiences?

I've been trying to cut down on sugar, I aim for about 50g-60g as I do eat fruits. I have noticed I don't crave sugary foods at all and do have more energy, though that could be from just eating better in general, but I'm hoping to keep my sugar down through out my diet and beyond.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I watch sugar because I have a bad reaction if a combination of sugar/carbs are too high. I still lose or maintain according to my calories though, no matter how high the sugar is.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Is anyone else watching their sugar intake? I've been tracking my sugar like a bloodhound and have noticed significant losses (approx 2 lbs a week) and other changes - such as sleeping better, MORE energy (if you could believe that? and I generally don't feel like crap anymore.

I watch it, sure. It's not particularly high, so I don't worry about it. I certainly wouldn't fret about sugar from fruit and veg or dairy. If my added sugar were high (it's not) I'd probably consider whether those were calories that should be cut down some in favor of some more nutrition-dense options.

My sugar has been a bit higher than normal on recent weekends, since I'm training for some endurance events (including a half ironman in a few weeks) and am experimenting with my nutrition plan, which includes some gels and other forms of sugar. Haven't found any negative effects.

Back when I first started I tried cutting out added sugar and while it was an interesting experience and surprisingly easy, I didn't notice any particular benefits, so I went back to moderation. Sugar isn't really my main weakness, though -- savory stuff is.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I have bee eating low sugar for month now. The other day I went significantly over my sugar limit and felt like crap. It felt like I swallowed a huge rock and it couldn't be digested. I guess it has to do with the sudden insulin spike. Don't know.

Sugar makes you produce more insulin which throws your entire body into defense mode. I feel fab since I lowered my sugar - (it takes me 5 hours to grocery shop now (HAHA) but I read EVERY label and I must know 100 different names they use on labels to disguise the sugar in the ingredients.

Good luck to you!! Feel free to add me. I love to have others following the same path to compare diaries and chat with.

I can't imagine buying so much stuff with labels that it would take that long to read them, and I'm about as far from a clean eater as one could find. My main packaged stuff are things I'm very familiar with, like plain yogurt, smoked salmon, dried pasta, dried and canned beans, canned tomatoes (out of season), and steel cut oats. Oh, and the protein powder I like and use occasionally. Other than a tiny bit used for making the smoked salmon and, of course, the lactose in the yogurt, none of this has sugar.

I do buy fancy chocolates from a restaurant near my office that sells local artisan and European chocolates. Those, of course, have sugar. Oh, and ice cream/gelato sometimes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I have bee eating low sugar for month now. The other day I went significantly over my sugar limit and felt like crap. It felt like I swallowed a huge rock and it couldn't be digested. I guess it has to do with the sudden insulin spike. Don't know.

Sugar makes you produce more insulin which throws your entire body into defense mode. I feel fab since I lowered my sugar - (it takes me 5 hours to grocery shop now (HAHA) but I read EVERY label and I must know 100 different names they use on labels to disguise the sugar in the ingredients.

Good luck to you!! Feel free to add me. I love to have others following the same path to compare diaries and chat with.
    Athletes of all sports "carb up" before a game. This is essentially sugar. They feel worse if they don't carb up and have reduced energy.
    The issue here is that most people who OVER CONSUME sugar, don't do enough to burn it off.
    So it's not really the culprit. It's just a macro nutrient that one needs to be sure that they don't over consume for their particular metabolism. People who are less active will need less of it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't specifically watch my sugar, but I don't really consume in substantive quantities anyway. A good 90% of my diet is derived from whole foods so most of my sugar comes from things like veggies, fruit, dairy, etc...my consumption is nowhere near anything needing to be worried about. I would only bother watching my sugar if I was accustomed to eating a lot of it and typically ate a lot of sweets and whatnot...I don't really, so it's not much of a concern.
  • LAC73167
    LAC73167 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I can't imagine buying so much stuff with labels that it would take that long to read them, and I'm about as far from a clean eater as one could find. My main packaged stuff are things I'm very familiar with, like plain yogurt, smoked salmon, dried pasta, dried and canned beans, canned tomatoes (out of season), and steel cut oats. Oh, and the protein powder I like and use occasionally. Other than a tiny bit used for making the smoked salmon and, of course, the lactose in the yogurt, none of this has sugar.

I do buy fancy chocolates from a restaurant near my office that sells local artisan and European chocolates. Those, of course, have sugar. Oh, and ice cream/gelato sometimes.

Ok. I was exaggerating the amount of time. Thought thatchers obvious. I too, eat clean (about 90/10) so if I'm wrong about anything I've said here, I beg of all of you "experts" try educating someone before insulting them.

Now I remember why I don't EVER come to these boards.
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely watching the sweets I eat too, but it all comes down to how much you are eating overall. I avoid them for their lack of nutritional value, not because of losing weight. Yes, the healthier the better, but most of the time people who claim to eat less sugar, carbs, etc, etc, and lose weight, are really only doing so because they are eating less overall. Carbs and sugar are not killers, but like anything should be an appropriate part of a daily diet, not the entire diet (or eliminated entirely)
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

Ok. I was exaggerating the amount of time. Thought thatchers obvious. I too, eat clean (about 90/10) so if I'm wrong about anything I've said here, I beg of all of you "experts" try educating someone before insulting them.

Don't take it so personal. It took me about one post on here after my 3 year sabbatical to find out that I need to back up my statements with actual facts not just anecdotal "this worked for me" comments.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

How was that insulting in any way?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I have these same experiences from the things I added to my lifestyle rather than things I restricted. I took that approach to MFP, continuing to eat the foods I enjoy in moderation (including sugar) but focusing on adding things: more lean protein, more vegetables, more whole grains, more exercise, more sleep.

As a result I found achieving my weight loss goal (30 lbs) to be a simple and enjoyable process (now in maintenance) and have also experienced what you describe: more energy, sleep better, don't feel like crap.

Yeah!

• bainstorm
    bainstorm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This sounds more like the new Weight Watchers program. No sugar/carbs, and if you do you are going to pay for it with points. I was doing well on their point plus program eating what I wanted staying within my points. That is why I'm over here now . Counting calories. I could eat three hot fudge sundaes a day and still lose . I'm in the camp that it is calories in calories out. Sure to much of anything is not good. So if you are going to live normal , what ever that is, you should be able to work all food croups into your diet.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Maybe do what my parents told me as a kid and put your feelings away so they don't get stepped on.

Brilliant! <3