SUGAR - The culprit!

Options

Replies

• Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    pdm3547 wrote: »
    Are you restricting all carbohydrates? And if just "sugar", are you specifically referring to sucrose, fructose or glucose?
    I ask because your body converts most carbs into glucose and stores it in the muscles or liver. Fruit contains high levels of fructose, and I wouldn't advocate cutting down on that.
    Do you mean just table sugar? This is sucrose.

Edited to add: I have cut my fruit intake drastically - but have not eliminated it. I eat tons of organic veggies and grass fed meats - I defiantly don't add table sugar to anything. I don't ingest anything bottled/canned or boxed and if I do- I read the heck out of that label and if there is added sugar, I don't get it.

This may not work for everyone -but gosh darn it, Its working for me :)

I add table sugar (raw/turbinado) to oatmeal, porridge, hot cocoa/tea, smoothies etc. I go through 4 lbs of sugar/month, which most would consider a lot. Once a week, I also eat about 2 pints of ice cream, 1 chocolate bar and 1 small pack of biscuits but usually no other junk/processed food. And on top of that I eat as many fruits as I like. My last fasting blood sugar test was normal-70mg/dl (norm is 65-99).

This means that sugar in and of itself is not harmful. If it was, I'd be having abnormal blood tests and weight problems. Instead, I've lost 34 lbs and currently in maintenance at 117. I'm also very active. So, no, sugar is not the culprit. Over-eating, under-exercising and poor nutrition are the culprits.
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Be careful, the brain needs sugars to function :) I had cut out sugar well below the recommended amount, and paid dearly.... :(

All good now... just don't make it the evil villain.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It's always the calorie deficit that causes fat loss over time. You can't just look at the body weight scale as the body is made up of so much more than just fat cells. But in generally too much sugar will displace other macros we need, but so will too much of all the other things. We need all things in balance and it's slightly different for each of us. While I know I can have the cookie or cake whenever I want, I rarely have them except as an occasional treat. I'm find I feel better over time and maintain my weight better with sweet protein treats, and I feel better with just a little honey or fruit instead of other high sugar treats (even though they are not the devil after all). Moderation is the key. Depriving is not helpful in the end.
  • Jelenajelenajelenajelena
    Options
    You should watch a documentary on Netflix called "sugar coated". It's about the history of sugar in the US and its dangers etc etc it's super interesting!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,195 Member
    Options
    I have the same results from cutting calories to a moderate deficit. I still eat lots of sugar, but feel great, sleep great, and all the rest.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    *sigh* don't newcomers read the stickies anymore, or are they more interested in bulldozing scientific proof with their YouTube and tumblr info?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I have bee eating low sugar for month now. The other day I went significantly over my sugar limit and felt like crap. It felt like I swallowed a huge rock and it couldn't be digested. I guess it has to do with the sudden insulin spike. Don't know.

Sugar makes you produce more insulin which throws your entire body into defense mode. I feel fab since I lowered my sugar - (it takes me 5 hours to grocery shop now (HAHA) but I read EVERY label and I must know 100 different names they use on labels to disguise the sugar in the ingredients.

Good luck to you!! Feel free to add me. I love to have others following the same path to compare diaries and chat with.

I can't imagine buying so much stuff with labels that it would take that long to read them, and I'm about as far from a clean eater as one could find. My main packaged stuff are things I'm very familiar with, like plain yogurt, smoked salmon, dried pasta, dried and canned beans, canned tomatoes (out of season), and steel cut oats. Oh, and the protein powder I like and use occasionally. Other than a tiny bit used for making the smoked salmon and, of course, the lactose in the yogurt, none of this has sugar.

I do buy fancy chocolates from a restaurant near my office that sells local artisan and European chocolates. Those, of course, have sugar. Oh, and ice cream/gelato sometimes.

Ok. I was exaggerating the amount of time. Thought thatchers obvious. I too, eat clean (about 90/10) so if I'm wrong about anything I've said here, I beg of all of you "experts" try educating someone before insulting them.

Now I remember why I don't EVER come to these boards.

My point was I DON'T eat "clean" in that all the stuff I mentioned is, of course, packaged and processed (and it sounds like you don't really either). But it's still not complicated to know what's in what I buy, and none of it has meaningful added sugar except the items I know do.
  • mackardi
    mackardi Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else watching their sugar intake? I've been tracking my sugar like a bloodhound and have noticed significant losses (approx 2 lbs a week) and other changes - such as sleeping better, MORE energy (if you could believe that? and I generally don't feel like crap anymore.

Anyone else have these experiences?
    Is anyone else watching their sugar intake? I've been tracking my sugar like a bloodhound and have noticed significant losses (approx 2 lbs a week) and other changes - such as sleeping better, MORE energy (if you could believe that? and I generally don't feel like crap anymore.

Anyone else have these experiences?

• mackardi
    mackardi Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I double quoted and can't figure out how to delete it, so I apologize. But I am watching my sugar intake as well in that I'm trying to eliminate foods with added sugar. When I first started using MFP I alwayyyyyyyyys went over my sugar for the day, mostly thanks to my morning energy drink and a granola bar or two throughout the day. Now, only eating foods with no added sugar, I have found its easy to stay within my daily limits.

And yes, I also fee great :)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I have bee eating low sugar for month now. The other day I went significantly over my sugar limit and felt like crap. It felt like I swallowed a huge rock and it couldn't be digested. I guess it has to do with the sudden insulin spike. Don't know.

Sugar makes you produce more insulin which throws your entire body into defense mode. I feel fab since I lowered my sugar - (it takes me 5 hours to grocery shop now (HAHA) but I read EVERY label and I must know 100 different names they use on labels to disguise the sugar in the ingredients.

Good luck to you!! Feel free to add me. I love to have others following the same path to compare diaries and chat with.

I can't imagine buying so much stuff with labels that it would take that long to read them, and I'm about as far from a clean eater as one could find. My main packaged stuff are things I'm very familiar with, like plain yogurt, smoked salmon, dried pasta, dried and canned beans, canned tomatoes (out of season), and steel cut oats. Oh, and the protein powder I like and use occasionally. Other than a tiny bit used for making the smoked salmon and, of course, the lactose in the yogurt, none of this has sugar.

I do buy fancy chocolates from a restaurant near my office that sells local artisan and European chocolates. Those, of course, have sugar. Oh, and ice cream/gelato sometimes.

Ok. I was exaggerating the amount of time. Thought thatchers obvious. I too, eat clean (about 90/10) so if I'm wrong about anything I've said here, I beg of all of you "experts" try educating someone before insulting them.

Now I remember why I don't EVER come to these boards.

Don't take it so personal. It took me about one post on here after my 3 year sabbatical to find out that I need to back up my statements with actual facts not just anecdotal "this worked for me" comments.

This 100%

If more people did this, things would be so much better !

Its so important as a community that we post facts not opinions. There's so many newcomers that don't yet know much about weight loss or nutrition and come here seeking information. When threads like " sugar is the culprit !" Come up, it could seriously mislead newcomers.
  • momnom27
    momnom27 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I feel like sugar really is the culprit for most women. Our hormones go bonkers & we crave it. We get overweight, insulin resistant, depressed, and miserable! Once you are free from those constant cravings, it's like being reborn! My celery tastes sweet! Never been happier. Feels like I am finally eating to fuel my body. I don't care how fast or slow I lose, I just feel fantastic.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    momnom27 wrote: »
    I feel like sugar really is the culprit for most women. Our hormones go bonkers & we crave it. We get overweight, insulin resistant, depressed, and miserable! Once you are free from those constant cravings, it's like being reborn! My celery tastes sweet! Never been happier. Feels like I am finally eating to fuel my body. I don't care how fast or slow I lose, I just feel fantastic.

Please don't make assumptions about "most women." I'm a woman, and this is not at all true for me. Never had constant sugar cravings. (Like I said above, savory foods are much more my weakness.)

I've always found vegetables plenty sweet too. Not everyone who needs to lose weight (or even most people, I'd bet) has a messed up palate.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    momnom27 wrote: »

The only times celery tastes sweet is when I dredge it through lovely, lovely sugar. Please don't speak for "All Women".
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Celery with Nutella is sweet, other then that celery is not sweet ar all. Please don't speak for all women