Someone please explain how adjustments work

Options
rainbowbow
rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
I am truly baffled.

I am getting calories added when I am not going to go over MFPs original maintenance estimate. I am getting extra calories when I'm being MORE sedentary than MFPs estimates which they've created my deficit off of.

What the heck is the point? Is it just adding calories to maintain on top of my daily calorie goal?

Like yesterday I burned 1,500 calories total. My calorie goal was set to 1,200. I got extra calories for a 150 calorie workout PLUS a 400 calorie adjustment. Like I said I burned literally 1,500 all day long (including my workout).

How is MFP adding adjustments. What the eff is going on. I assumed it wouldn't add extra calories until I'd gone over my predicted calories burned (as set by my activity level).

Replies

• marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Go into your settings and make sure the negative calorie adjustment box is not checked, unfortunately you can't turn off the exercise part, unless you have premium, but if anything shows up you can just delete it
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Sounds like you have it synced to another app. My fitbit automatically sends over a daily calorie burn adjustment with my steps. MFP subtracts what my activity burn is and adds the difference.

So my daily from MFP is 1470. I ate 1472. Fitbit sent 2300. MFP says I should be at 1720 for my activity level. So it adds 580. 1470 - 1472 + 580 = 578.

If you click on the exercise adjustment at the bottom of your diary, you can see the adjustment

EDIT: the burn fitbit sent over included a 450 calorie burn from my workout.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Negative adjustments. If you are wearing a device all day it'll track things and adjust as necessary
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys... but i'm still not understanding.

• marm1962
    Options
    Did you set your goals for exercise? Me, I have mine set to 3 days @ 30 minutes each time, so fitnesspal already makes the adjustment to my calorie goals BEFORE I even do any thing else. Do you have a fitbit or similar device or app synced with your fitnesspal account? Mapmyride? ANY app that records your exercise that is linked/synced with fitnesspal will automatically adjust your calories that you need for the day. If you do, then unsync them and they will not record any of your workouts to fitnesspal.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    Did you set your goals for exercise? Me, I have mine set to 3 days @ 30 minutes each time, so fitnesspal already makes the adjustment to my calorie goals BEFORE I even do any thing else. Do you have a fitbit or similar device or app synced with your fitnesspal account? Mapmyride? ANY app that records your exercise that is linked/synced with fitnesspal will automatically adjust your calories that you need for the day. If you do, then unsync them and they will not record any of your workouts to fitnesspal.

I set my goals for exercise. I have already unlinked all others accounts.

Here's what i'm not getting:

MFP assumes my mainenance calories is 1600
    I am burning 1,500 all day long according to my Garmin
    this includes my exercise cals
    My MFP goal is set to 1,200

IF anything, shouldn't MFP take away a hundred cals to keep my deficit the same? (Or not because it doesn't adjust lower than 1,200)

Why on earth if MFP adding an extra 450 calories in garmin adjustments PLUS 150 for exercise when i haven't exceeded my estimated TDEE? Does that make sense?

If i didn't know any better or hadn't used MFP before i would be completely overeating and gaining weight. Even though both are set with the same goal and information.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I set my goals for exercise. I have already unlinked all others accounts.

Here's what i'm not getting:

MFP assumes my mainenance calories is 1600
    I am burning 1,500 all day long according to my Garmin
    this includes my exercise cals
    My MFP goal is set to 1,200

IF anything, shouldn't MFP take away a hundred cals to keep my deficit the same? (Or not because it doesn't adjust lower than 1,200)

Why on earth if MFP adding an extra 450 calories in garmin adjustments PLUS 150 for exercise when i haven't exceeded my estimated TDEE? Does that make sense?

If i didn't know any better or hadn't used MFP before i would be completely overeating and gaining weight. Even though both are set with the same goal and information.

When you click on the exercise adjustment in your diary, what does it says about the adjustment calculations?
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

MFP doesn't ever include exercise until you add it in each and every time you exercise. It sounds like you're referring to the exercise goal section, which does nothing to adjust your calories.

OP - where are you getting the 1500 from? How long have you had your fitibit? Maybe you're more active than you think you are?
  • veganbaum
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Whoops, you have a Garmin, I thought I read fitbit. Is this adjustment every day?

I'm not really sure what's going on, because it shouldn't add anything unless you're more active than you told it you would be. I can understand your confusion. I can only think that you're being more active than you thought, so it's adding those in. Are you certain 1500 was your total burned through Garmin and didn't include your deficit? If you are, I guess my post is useless, because I can't figure it out either!
  • marm1962
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »

MFP doesn't ever include exercise until you add it in each and every time you exercise. It sounds like you're referring too the exercise goal section, which does nothing to adjust your calories.

OP - where are you getting the 1500 from? How long have you had your fitibit? Maybe you're more active than you think you are?

Yes, I was referring to when you first set up MFP to calculate how many calories you need based on what you put in, which includes the exercise goals, and yes I know it does not post anything in the exercise section
  • marm1962
    Options
    " wrote:

Garmin adjustments? Sounds like your garmin is syncing to your MFP
  • rainbowbow
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Whoops, you have a Garmin, I thought I read fitbit. Is this adjustment every day?

I'm not really sure what's going on, because it shouldn't add anything unless you're more active than you told it you would be. I can understand your confusion. I can only think that you're being more active than you thought, so it's adding those in. Are you certain 1500 was your total burned through Garmin and didn't include your deficit? If you are, I guess my post is useless, because I can't figure it out either!

Cant take a screen shot right now... but...

EXERCISES Calories Minutes Sets Reps Weight
    Cardiovascular
    Aerobics, general 151 19
    Garmin Connect calorie adjustment 372 1

Totals 1,355 146 55 78 26 13
    Your Daily Goal 2,023 202 67 152 25 100
    Remaining 668 56 12 74 0 87
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Iron

According to garmin, i had 4,292 steps
    151 exercise calories
    1538 calories burned all day

so i ate.. what? A 200 calorie deficit? Why the heck is it adding 500 calories.

See what i'm talking about? So far today i've made exaclt 1,600 steps and burned 846 calories. Yet MFP has an added adjustment of "Garmin Connect calorie adjustment 434 1" so far. This is what it did yesterday too. I could understand if it was trying to predict me burning more throughout the day based on me being more active than MFP's assumptions... but.... what the heck? It's 3PM and i'm clearly not going over that today.

P.S. it does this to my boyfriend too since he linked his to MFP. I had to actually stop him because he was about to just completely undo his calorie deficit.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    lt9dn58p5uay.png
    uictwumrq1co.png
    la8qtya08zbk.png

Yes, i can enable negative adjustments, that's fine. But that doesn't explain what on earth is going on with it making POSITIVE adjustments out of nowhere. :(
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    " wrote:

Garmin adjustments? Sounds like your garmin is syncing to your MFP

yes, it is syncing to MFP. i did this because i assumed MFP's technology was not a big piece of *kitten* and would add any additional calories i need if i'm more active than anticipated. This is how it was designed to work... right?
  • veganbaum
    Options

MFP doesn't ever include exercise until you add it in each and every time you exercise. It sounds like you're referring too the exercise goal section, which does nothing to adjust your calories.

Yes, I was referring to when you first set up MFP to calculate how many calories you need based on what you put in, which includes the exercise goals, and yes I know it does not post anything in the exercise section

MFP doesn't include that in your calories needs, though, which it sound like you're saying it does and that it might somehow affect OP's numbers.

OP - Maybe you just shouldn't have them synced for a while, and see what your results are based on MFP's numbers and Garmin's estimations.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

MFP doesn't include that in your calories needs, though, which it sound like you're saying it does and that it might somehow affect OP's numbers.

OP - Maybe you just shouldn't have them synced for a while, and see what your results are based on MFP's numbers and Garmin's estimations.

I guess. It just makes me mad. I've been a member of MFP for 5 years. I finally have a really really expensive device and one of it's features is "sync's with MFP". It's just infuriating that MFP would even offer such a technology if it doesn't even work. :angry: Like, why even track with MFP instead of fitbit, garmin, etc. , ya know? Seems kind of useless to track my activity with one device and then have to manually add up "okay today i burned x calories so i can eat x calories".

frustrated.gif
  • veganbaum
    Options

Cardiovascular
    Aerobics, general 151 19

151 exercise calories

See what i'm talking about? So far today i've made exaclt 1,600 steps and burned 846 calories. Yet MFP has an added adjustment of "Garmin Connect calorie adjustment 434 1" so far. This is what it did yesterday too. I could understand if it was trying to predict me burning more throughout the day based on me being more active than MFP's assumptions... but.... what the heck? It's 3PM and i'm clearly not going over that today.

P.S. it does this to my boyfriend too since he linked his to MFP. I had to actually stop him because he was about to just completely undo his calorie deficit.

Have both of you gone into your device and made sure it's all correct - that you have the correct sex entered, height, the correct goal, all that? Because if it's telling you your goal is 2,000 calories, it seems like there's something off. I don't have a Garmin, so I don't know if there's something obvious here that another user might see. It makes no sense at all that it's telling you your goal is 2,000 calories unless you selected gain weight as your goal. It's giving me a headache now.
  • marm1962
    Options

Funny, when I put in that I will be working out 3 days a week @ 30 minutes a day, my daily calories for MFP changes compared to No exercise goal at all.

So what I am saying is that MFP has already calculated her calories to include her exercise goals and her Garmin is telling them that she has already exceeded those goals and is making adjustments based on that.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

Cardiovascular
    Aerobics, general 151 19

151 exercise calories

Have both of you gone into your device and made sure it's all correct - that you have the correct sex entered, height, the correct goal, all that? Because if it's telling you your goal is 2,000 calories, it seems like there's something off. I don't have a Garmin, so I don't know if there's something obvious here that another user might see. It makes no sense at all that it's telling you your goal is 2,000 calories unless you selected gain weight as your goal. It's giving me a headache now.

yes, that's the first thing i checked. :(

Both MFP and garmin have my same height, age, weight, sex, estimated activity level, weight loss goal per week, etc.

:cry: