Dessert for breakfast?

Options
I forgot where I heard this, but somewhere I heard that eating dessert for breakfast helps you lose weight and fight cravings. Is it true?

Replies

• lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Not for me. Simple sugars won't keep you full for long, so then you end up eating even more as well as spiking your insulin and triggering fat storage, and it is really hard to get back on track after that. I also like having less calories in the morning and plenty for dinner, so this really wouldn't work for me, because I would have so little left for dinner. If you have desert for desert, then you are already full and so it is a lot easier to portion control.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Read up on sugars and appetite. You are likely to experience exactly the opposite effect to what you want and be ravenously hungry all day. I now even save my fruits until later in the day so I don't get so hungry early on. But the only way to know if the effect really hits you is to try a few days of a savory breakfast with few carbs and then a few days of a sweet, carb-y breakfast and see how you feel.

I even respond to artificial sweeteners with increased appetite and switching to drinking mostly unsweetened stuff has made a world of difference to my appetite control.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you know what helps you lose weight?

eating less and exercising more.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    One shouldn't have dessert any time. Maybe once a week...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

thats just crazy talk.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Depends on you. As I said earlier, I ate a chocolate croissant for breakfast (and unsweetened tea) five days a week for about 12 weeks. I exercised and ate sensibly the rest of the day. For me, I got my craving out of the way early and I never felt deprived. I ended up losing 25 pounds in about three months. For you this might work -- or you might go nuts and then eat 10 of them in one sitting. You have to know what satisfies you and makes you happy and ready to take on the day.

However, for me, the chocolate croissants was a few years ago. Now I don't really have as many cravings for chocolate croissants or even chocolate (I tend to like sweet/salty and crunchy now! ) Now I like breakfast sausage and whole wheat bread. A lot of sodium, but I'm trying to combat that with lower sodium intake the rest of the day.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous. Completely and totally.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    In. For fried chicken and waffles with maple syrup and ice cream.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    In. For fried chicken and waffles with maple syrup and ice cream.

This

/thread
  • imamonster2000
    imamonster2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What if you had normal breakfast and then just a little dessert with it? Do you know if that helps?
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    ^^ Doesnt matter what time you eat it not gonna increase/decrease your metabolism.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    What if you had normal breakfast and then just a little dessert with it? Do you know if that helps?

It might help your blood sugar and insulin spike....? A "normal" breakfast usually consists of foods not too far removed from dessert. Then you're going to add dessert to that?

We already justify having cake for breakfast if it's fried and has syrup on it or can be put in the toaster.

I don't think it would end up helping anything, and I would venture to say it would do harm. But I guess whatever works for you is the best thing. If you have dessert for breakfast and can honestly say it helps with cravings later on, go for it.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I had apple crumble for breakfast a few mornings last week. The crumble's ingredients was ground almonds, rice flour, dessicated coconut, butter and the equivalent of 1 teaspoon of sugar per serve. You could make protein pancakes, or add gelatine to a protein shake and let it set overnight, if you were wanting something that wasn't too decadent.
  • naly82
    naly82 Posts: 1
    Options
    It is working for me! i have every single day a cookie or dessert with my half cup of coffee without sugar and i'm still losing weight! i lose 1 to 2 lb every week since i started my new diet! of course i bake them at home so i know how much sugar i put it in them!!
    i started my new diet and exercising in 3 months ago and i lost almost 25 lb with a dessert in the morning every single day!!!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I don't know about that, but I do love pastries for breakfast!
  • DoctorCheeba
    Options
    I don't know about health benefits but I crave sweets for breakfast quite often too. I'll usually add some cinnamon and organic maple syrup to my scrambled eggs w/ chicken, it tastes amazing!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

thats just crazy talk.

Completely insane.

If it helps you to satisfy your cravings earlier in the day, then do it. Stay within your macronutrient goal and you should be fine.

I can totally see it helping you because you can remind yourself when you're looking at sweets later in the day that you've already had your share.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

That is awful advice.

OP: Weighing your food, being aware of what your body needs to function (calories, nutrients, etc.) and making realistic goals will help you achieve a healthy body. You do not have to cut out specific foods, eat at specific times or eliminate things you enjoy to be healthy.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    It probably doesn't help in that way at all (probably doesn't hurt either), but that sounds like an excellent idea. I will have a homemade chocolate banana popsicle for breakfast, thank you.