Dessert for breakfast?

Options

Replies

• FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    I forgot where I heard this, but somewhere I heard that eating dessert for breakfast helps you lose weight and fight cravings. Is it true?

For me this tends to trigger sugar cravings. I think some people mention this because they assume if you eat dessert in the morning your body will have a better chance of burning off those calories while you're more active throughout the day. I would take those calories and eat a nice yummy breakfast. I typically like to eat my biggest meals for breakfast & lunch, and a little less for dinner when I don't need the extra energy. I love my dessert so I always save a few calories so I can have a little treat after dinner =)
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I forgot where I heard this, but somewhere I heard that eating dessert for breakfast helps you lose weight and fight cravings. Is it true?

It depends, if it means that you are able to eat relatively healthy for the rest of the day then it might work. Nutrition and eating patterns is about finding out what works for you long term and sustainably (provided you are getting all the nutrients you need). This will vary so much from individual to individual which is why one person might lose weight doing x and another might not. Most diet plans will work if you can stick to them.

I think if I start the day eating dessert than it would probably be all down hill from there. Although I have been known to have chocolate for breakfast from time to time.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    But if you crave something sweet in the morning, how about fruit. I don't see anything wrong with having some fruit with your breakfast, I usually buy whatever is in season. Right now I have cherries for lunch everyday. Ialso love whole grain toast with 2 tbsp peanut butter, sliced bananas, sprinkled with walnuts and even a drizzle of honey, it totally taste like a dessert to me!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    But if you crave something sweet in the morning, how about fruit. I don't see anything wrong with having some fruit with your breakfast, I usually buy whatever is in season. Right now I have cherries for lunch everyday. Ialso love whole grain toast with 2 tbsp peanut butter, sliced bananas, sprinkled with walnuts and even a drizzle of honey, it totally taste like a dessert to me!

If you would of looked at her diary, you would see she does add some fruit to her breakfast.

OP: You are 18 and dealing with insecurity as stated in your profile. You are going to have different nutritional needs then a 30, 40 or 50 year old woman. As I said before, weigh your food, be aware of what your body needs to function (calories, nutrients, etc.) and make realistic goals to help you achieve a healthy body. (and mind) You do not have to cut out specific foods, eat at specific times or eliminate things you enjoy to be healthy.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    actually, i remembered reading something about this myself.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2459
    Chocolate cake for breakfast enhances weight loss. Really? Yes, according to researcher Prof. Daniela Jacubowicz (1). The subjects were 193 obese, non-diabetic adults who ate either a 300-calorie low carbohydrate breakfast or a 600-calorie breakfast that included protein plus chocolate cake (or another sweet dessert). Both groups were instructed to eat the same amount of total calories: 1,400 for the women and 1,600 for the men. In the first 16 weeks, both groups lost an average of 33 pounds per person. But in the second half of the study, the no-cake group had poor compliance and regained an average of 22 pounds per person while the cake-eaters continued to lose another 15 pounds each. By 32-weeks, the cake eaters had lost about 40 pounds more than their peers.

Prof. Jacubowicz noticed that those who had cake for breakfast had fewer cravings for carbohydrates and sweets later in the day. By frontloading their calories, they were less hungry and less likely to stray from their food plans. They had curbed their cravings for sweets and treats, in comparison to the group that ate the smaller breakfast.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

If you would of looked at her diary, you would see she does add some fruit to her breakfast.

whats with all the snippy responses on these forums?? I added my 2 cents sorry I didn't have time right now to go through the diary, so unnecessary.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

whats with all the snippy responses on these forums?? I added my 2 cents sorry I didn't have time right now to go through the diary, so unnecessary.

No snip here, just stating a fact. Also, I would of thought that would be one of the first things somebody in the fitness industry would have wanted to look at before offering advice.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    It was snippy and so was your second response, luckily there is an ignore button for that.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    how about oatmeal that tastes like a candy bar or pie does that count?
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I personally like to start my morning with chocolate so I eat a Fiber One brownie EVERY morning. But that being said, I don't like a l lot of food that early in the morning so it works for me...it also doesn't make me want chocolate any less later in the day either...
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I am assuming you are referring to a typical high fat/sugar dessert? Generally fairly high in calories. This is probably not going to set you up to be in a deficit for the day if you are eating a large chunk of your daily calories for breakfast.

Eating no breakfast would probably be more beneficial :tongue: If that's your thing, that is.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I love dessert for breakfast-- it's one of my favorite food-related things. But it doesn't have any magical powers. At the end of the day what matters for weight loss is energy balance.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    actually, i remembered reading something about this myself.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2459
    Chocolate cake for breakfast enhances weight loss. Really? Yes, according to researcher Prof. Daniela Jacubowicz (1). The subjects were 193 obese, non-diabetic adults who ate either a 300-calorie low carbohydrate breakfast or a 600-calorie breakfast that included protein plus chocolate cake (or another sweet dessert). Both groups were instructed to eat the same amount of total calories: 1,400 for the women and 1,600 for the men. In the first 16 weeks, both groups lost an average of 33 pounds per person. But in the second half of the study, the no-cake group had poor compliance and regained an average of 22 pounds per person while the cake-eaters continued to lose another 15 pounds each. By 32-weeks, the cake eaters had lost about 40 pounds more than their peers.

Prof. Jacubowicz noticed that those who had cake for breakfast had fewer cravings for carbohydrates and sweets later in the day. By frontloading their calories, they were less hungry and less likely to stray from their food plans. They had curbed their cravings for sweets and treats, in comparison to the group that ate the smaller breakfast.

Oh I see, it's a compliance thing. That makes sense. I would be interested to know if there was any difference between having it in the morning and having it at night.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I had a Cinnabon and a Protein Bar for breakfast.

I win.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I prefer breakfast for dessert actually :laugh:
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    One shouldn't have dessert any time. Maybe once a week...

I make room for dessert several times per week :) keeps me sane and in control :)
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    One shouldn't have dessert any time. Maybe once a week...

I don't like you.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options

I save my desserts as a treat in the evening for a couple of reasons :) 1. Its a goal to work towards making me eat healthy the rest of the day knowing that if I do I have a treat waiting for me :) 2. If I ate my dessert in the morning or early in the day I would be sad if I didn't have room for one in the evening and really wanted one (and could quite possibly end in me having more dessert anyways lol ) :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...for dessert...

...and breakfast .
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    The answer is it is a personal thing.

Does having something sugary at breakfast time make it easier for you to stay at a calorie deficit over the course of the day? If the answer is yes then it's fine. If the answer is no and it in fact prompts you to over eat then avoid it.

It's only something you can discover by doing it consciously and observing your results critically.

There are a myriad of reasons why this can and cannot work but that depends on the individual's personal biochemistry AND psychology.

On a broader note, I find it hilarious that the idea of dessert for breakfast makes some people fall off their chairs when they don't bat an eye lid about having a muffin for breakfast (which is a cake) or some kind of pancake or sugary "healthy" cereals which spike blood sugar levels....