Brown rice vs white rice

Options
13»

Replies

• Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I never get why people don't just eat cauliflower if they want cauliflower rather than feeling compelled to pretend it's some other food. Cauliflower is great. It doesn't become a different food if you tediously cut it up into tiny little pieces (or buy it all chopped up that way).

Because a lot of people are visual/texture types. Cauliflower can look like fried rice, which is one step closer to tricking your brain (or cravings) into thinking it is fried rice when you eat it. I've done it before (Paleo) and it's actually quite a good substitute.

I eat rice too. But if I can go for cauliflower 'fried rice' and save room for ice cream, why the *kitten* not?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I never get why people don't just eat cauliflower if they want cauliflower rather than feeling compelled to pretend it's some other food. Cauliflower is great. It doesn't become a different food if you tediously cut it up into tiny little pieces (or buy it all chopped up that way).

Because a lot of people are visual/texture types. Cauliflower can look like fried rice, which is one step closer to tricking your brain (or cravings) into thinking it is fried rice when you eat it. I've done it before (Paleo) and it's actually quite a good substitute.

I eat rice too. But if I can go for cauliflower 'fried rice' and save room for ice cream, why the *kitten* not?

I often skip a starch to save calories, so have nothing against that. (I also almost never eat rice, since I don't like it that much.) I'd just add in more vegetables, perhaps some starchier ones like root veg or winter squash or maybe brussels or green beans. However, I disagree with the poster who told OP to give up rice in favor of cauliflower rice. No reason for OP to do that.

I have a personal issue with pretend foods, and fussiness when it's not needed, and I personally prefer my cauliflower in bigger pieces (a texture thing) vs. tiny little pieces or mashed (although I had some pretty good mashed cauliflower yesterday not prepared by me). So that's where I'm coming from. If you really prefer cauliflower in little pieces vs. larger ones, and it helps you save calories, not a problem with me, so long as you don't go around telling others to drop rice, of course, which is what I was responding to. (Well, and all the pretend cauliflower is rice or potatoes or cookies or whatever it is always makes me think people don't really like cauliflower and are trying to replace a food that they think they must not eat, when it's perfectly fine to eat. But I 100% admit that I don't see the appeal in something looking like something else and not being it -- it's an uncanny valley thing for me -- so it's largely just personal.)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I prefer brown basmati rice, baked in the oven. I learned that tip here. I often throw in a little wild rice for extra texture.

Baked rice? How do you do that?

This I think. I know I've seen it mentioned here

http://www.food.com/recipe/perfect-oven-baked-brown-rice-407156

I like both, personally, but white rice is faster to cook... although I guess I'll try brown rice in my Instant pot eventually.

About cauliflower rice - it cooks very fast. That's the main thing about it, I think. And I guess it's nicer in soups or whatnot so you don't have big chunks. It's something I would never use instead of rice though because it just tastes off. Cauliflower fried 'rice' is pretty tasty too and you can get a huge serving for very few calories.

I still much prefer mashed or roasted cauliflower, but to each their own.

I also notice no love for barley in this thread. I seriously love the stuff.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    That's it, @Francl27
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I really like barley too.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I like most of what's been mentioned in this thread, barley included. I haven't tried many different varieties of rice.

I'll throw in farro