Cauliflower Doughnut thread

Options

Replies

• runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Hilarious- cauliflower donut thread shut down for heated arguments! It turned political- only in America :smile:
  • actualbettycrocker
    actualbettycrocker Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    mweckler wrote: »
    As a chef I can not sit by and watch people destroy food. I understand wanting to be healthy and make good choices and that is great. I was the author of my own demise after I learned pastries from an amazing chef, I was able to create all these things whenever I wanted. I have Binge Eating Disorder and my go to food was sweets so I self-sabotaged, but once I got myself treatment for the eating disorder, I realized that I can still have the pastries, and sweets I love but just use moderation. I think if someone wants a kale, kelp, cauliflower, sadness bowl then they can have it, we just need to come up with a name for it. I need to come up with a name for the fake sweets people are trying to make with mashed potatoes, and kale, and cauliflower so my blood pressure can go back down to a safe level lol.

I regularly make a "Cauliflower Pizza" for my wife and her sisters. It has caramelized red onions and sauteed mushrooms on it. They love it. So do I. I intend to go to Culinary school in a couple years after I retire. Hope I don't turn into a judgmental food snob.

You're gonna have at least five people in your class that think they need to put truffle oil on everything don't let them do it.

I love to cook. Do all the cooking in my home. Always wanted to go to Culinary School, but sometimes life has other plans. Now, I am getting ready to retire and my wife and I are moving to Las Vegas, so I can finally go to Culinary School. Can't wait. I'm sure I'll meet all kinds of people with all kinds of opinions. Never had truffle oil. Looking forward to learning all kinds of new things.

Good luck to you! It's an incredibly difficult but fulfilling field! :)

(It was a joke cause truffle oil is seen as this amazing thing but it's super expensive so students that get their hands on it put it on everythinggggggg f.e something at my school put it in an omelette during breakfast class )
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    AngelinaB_ wrote: »
    Who are you guys, the food police of MFP? If you don't like somebody posting a cauliflower donut recipe, move on and click away children!

^ The problem was posts like this. People are going to disagree and I personally find these recipes vile. They'll never be close to the real thing. That said, discuss them and some will like them some will not. Not that big of a deal.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'll never find out how big the donuts were. The serving size was 2, but how big is each donut? I've only ever seen the mini donut pans and those are small.
  • actualbettycrocker
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'll never find out how big the donuts were. The serving size was 2, but how big is each donut? I've only ever seen the mini donut pans and those are small.

Do you have the amounts for each ingredient? I could probably tell you if you do.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Do you have the amounts for each ingredient? I could probably tell you if you do.

I found a cached version of the thread! Here's a screenie of the recipe from OP:
    jrxjet8d3sad.png

I read page 4 and apparently I was the one who got the white knights up in arms. I don't recall saying how bad the recipe was, but that I'd rather have a protein bar or the cost was more than 3 dozen donuts.
  • actualbettycrocker
    Options

I found a cached version of the thread! Here's a screenie of the recipe from OP:
    jrxjet8d3sad.png

I read page 4 and apparently I was the one who got the white knights up in arms. I don't recall saying how bad the recipe was, but that I'd rather have a protein bar or the cost was more than 3 dozen donuts.

Okay first of all! This recipe is a mess like this is a fact I need to get out of the way it's a mess. It has a leavening agent in there that I don't even think would work well here. Is this suppose to rise?

Yeah it'd work with a small pan because this is supposed to give 2 servings and the recipe added up and halved for the servings gave me a guesstimate of 90 grams. Two small doughnuts. That would cost more than two boxes.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    What do you mean it is a mess???!!!????? :o:o
  • actualbettycrocker
    Options
    What do you mean it is a mess???!!!????? :o:o

A mess!!! :o I also really want to compare the ingredients to my school's storeroom list to get a cost per portion but ugh the thought of it
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Who are you guys, the food police of MFP? If you don't like somebody posting a cauliflower donut recipe, move on and click away children!

But MoooOOOoooOOOooommmmmmmm .....
  • sseqwnp
    Options
    y'all made a thread about a healthy donut recipe and then started fighting about it

for real?

Nobody made a thread about healthy donuts ...
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options

Speaking of "children", I didn't see anybody name-calling until you came in?
  • sseqwnp
    Options
    I stand by my recipe! it was great. not sure why this keeps getting brought up. too many people have too much time on their hands, I suppose.

Just admit it's not a donut ...
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    ^^ variation of a donut.
    sseqwnp wrote: »
    I stand by my recipe! it was great. not sure why this keeps getting brought up. too many people have too much time on their hands, I suppose.

variation of a donut.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    sseqwnp wrote: »

In all fairness, I've seen someone on these boards suggest replacing ice cream with mashed potatoes, so this recipe is currently only in 2nd place on my Completely Arbitrary Guide to MFP Sadness.
  • BLifts38
    Options
    I'm convinced some people just love the drama, why else would you post in a thread that you think is an absolute mess and have no business trying it out. oyyyy.
  • BLifts38
    Options
    I genuinely want to know what was in that doughnut. I'm a pastry cook and the thought of a cauliflower doughnut horrifies me.

Cauliflower, vanilla protein powder, sugar free jam, powdered peanut butter, some other things, you mush it all together and put it in a "doughnut pan"??? and bake it. At least I am not the only culinarian who was horrified at the thought of the sadness doughnut.

That's....that's not a doughnut like at all. You can't just put something in a cake doughnut pan and it's a doughnut. :|

going off your belt thread... you commented that you didn't want people being condescending when it came to someone being new at a topic. same goes for this conversation. I never told people they had to try it.. I threw out a recipe for people thinking some might want to give it a go. if you don't want to, then it's no skin off either of our backs. you don't want people talking down to you, nor do I.